PDA

View Full Version : What does an inspector ....

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 10:35 AM
want to see?

I'm getting myself in a panic after having had a nosey at so many of your wonderful websites.

I've been minding since last September, my midees are 7 yr old twins, 4 year old and I've just started with a 18month old.

What I'm really in a panic about is my portfolio, we've done loads of activities but stupid me didn't take photos and I've not been keeping a log. (I've messed up) :(

I have a fantastic half term project that we did last October, like a diary, the mindees made one each and I made a master copy to keep. I guess I should have done one of these every holiday.

We've made pizzas today and I've taken loads of photos, I'm planning to get a book to log all our activities in and add the photos, but what can I do about the missing chunk from Sept till now :rolleyes:

I've not been given a date for my first inspection yet but it's going to be very soon I'm sure, so I need to start getting more organised.

wendywu
24-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Dont worry just do a self evalution or reflective practice sheet and put down that to improve you intend to keep better records and include more photos. Date it from now. It shows that you keep improving your service. I am always adding and changing things. My inspector was really impressed with this.:)

Fandangles
24-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Have you ever seen Green Card with Gerard Depardieu and Andy MacDowell? They have only just met but are having to pretend to the immigration that they have been together for ages so go onto the roof and change into lots of different outfits taking photos showing them on skiing holidays, in swimwear etc. using different background pictures......only a suggestion....:D

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Arhhhhhhhh so be honest, admit I needed to be more organised then prove myself.....

good plan, will be sure to impress..

Thanks.

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I did think that would be a good plan, because my own children have done the same activies I'm sure I could dig some bits out for evidence.

We could have a busy weekend of activity/photos/change clothes/activity/photo/new hair style/activity/photo/change clothes!

Rach30
24-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I've been minding since sept too and not been too hot on keeping records of what we've done . But i'm gonna do a self evaluation sheet so it shows you're always trying to improve . I think in the first 6 minths your just trying to find your feet really iyswim.

wendywu
24-04-2008, 10:59 AM
When i did the NCMA quality Assurance scheme they said that Ofsted liked to see reflective practice. At the end of every question in the portfolio we had to state how we could improve on that aspect of our service.:)

sarah707
24-04-2008, 11:04 AM
My inspector liked to see my reflections as well... how I could improve, what I was intending to change, wish lists etc... :D

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi, I had only been minding six weeks when I had my inspection and I worried about that too, as had not written down any planning.

What I did though was plan for the next couple of weeks, and made, some long term plans on a variety of topics and printed out some info on what I planned to do, got most of the ideas from here.

Just start taking photos now, and tell her your camera was broken, and just got new one!!!

I am sure you will be fine, good luck
Maureen

miffy
25-04-2008, 10:07 PM
You've already reflected on your practice - you've realised you needed to log what you've done and have some evidence to back it up

Now you will be taking more photos and forward planning what you want to do - activities training etc

What more could ofsted want!

Good luck

miffy xx

jo f
26-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Do u keep daily diaries for the kids? If you do you could borrow them over night and back track the activities which you have done - might help

foxy lady
26-04-2008, 03:02 PM
hi also started minding in september last year.i had my inspection on monday this week. she did not ask to see the activities that i have done with them,i did ask her if she wanted to see them but she said no because she said she could see what i do with them as i had about 10 up on the board in the playroom.she was much more interested in paper work and looking at the way i was with the children
hope this helps
foxy

donnahay0
26-04-2008, 05:57 PM
You say you look after a 4 year old - if this child is present when you have your inspection then you may be able to include them in your conversation when recalling some of your activities "do you remember X when we thingy".