PDA

View Full Version : DW being unhelpful or me expecting too much?

moogster1a
31-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Really annoyed with my so- called development worker. I'm due an inspection so making sure I have all paperwork etc.
Realised I didn't have a risk assessment for the Surestart cenre we very occassionally attend.
I like to get the risk assessments from the settings themselves and then adapt to my own needs wherever possible as I think the people who work at the places will have a far better knowledge of the building than I have. I then add my own stuff ( car parks, loos ec.)
Every other Surestart centre and museum, even playground staff, have supplied me with this no problem. My ever helpful DW however ( wh is based a the centreI need the RA for ), refuses, saying it's against council policy. Rubbish! all the other centres are the same council. She said I could go in and look at it when I attend. ( and then stand writing my rA with 3 kids next to me perhaps before we go in)
I thought these people were meant to help us.
Anyway, I ttold her she was as unhelpful as ever and have left a message for the head of the centres at the council to get n touch to see what he says.
Why on earth can't she just send me a copy?
Roll on the budget cuts!!

pinkbutterfly
31-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I don't think you have to have it written up before you go in. You obviously have been there before so roughly know what risks there might be. I would make notes in my mind and do the paperwork later.
If I were you I would ask to see this policy the DW mentioned.

Mouse
31-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I've never used anyone else's risk assessments, I always do my own. I assess the risk with regard to the children in my care, so one that a centre manager has done for the building wouldn't be relevent to me and my mindees.

But, if that's how you prefer to work, it was very unhelpful of the DW. Surely she could have just emailed you a copy. I can't see the harm in that.

rickysmiths
31-03-2011, 01:26 PM
You are right, all palces we visit, should have their own RAs and with reasonable notice give us a copy on request. If Lego Lad can do it then the local Sure Start Centre should.