PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy a gift for a child who is leaving??

pinkbutterfly
30-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I have an 18mo who will be leaving me next month (it was expected as parents are moving). He was with me only a couple of months. What do you do when you have a leaver? Do you give a thank you card or a small gift for a child? What would you buy for 18 mo?

Dragonfly
30-03-2011, 05:59 PM
No i dont usually:blush:

Alibali
30-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I've only had any leave for school and I buy them their school bag and pencil case.

babs
30-03-2011, 06:31 PM
i had one leave Friday, as she was 7 i put together a special book for her with lots of photos and laminated every page, she has a scrap book anyway but this was more like album of best bits i also asked her where she wanted to go on day she left she could pick any where ( MacDonald's was her choice). if it was a younger child maybe i toy or keep sake ..

venus89
30-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I tend to give them a book - not a lovely laminated photo book like babs, I'm afraid, just one I think they'll like.

babs
30-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I tend to give them a book - not a lovely laminated photo book like babs, I'm afraid, just one I think they'll like.

i cant take the glory for this book hubby did it ( i helped a little cup of tea hunny) lol... and spent from 3pm one afternoon till 11 pm and he let laminator get to hot all photos went blue so had to do again...

SandCastles
30-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I buy for their Birthdays, Easter and Xmas but not when they leave, the learning journal is passed to parent on last day, with lots of extra 'memory' photos in the back, I consider this to be a 'leaving present'

onceinabluemoon
30-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes I usually buy the little ones something. A soft toy that they can cuddle and think of you at that age.

loocyloo
30-03-2011, 08:30 PM
i usually give them a story book, but as all of mine have been leaving as i'm moving i've been doing photo collages and putting them in big A3 frames!

miffy
30-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I buy them birthday and christmas presents and a chocolate egg at easter but I don't buy anything when they leave.

Miffy xx

keatingschick
30-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Funny this comes up. Generally I DO buy a gift when a child leaves. The last child that left was a little girl who I had had for 3 years, I had her brother previously from 4 months to 3 years and I now have her baby brother, but I got VERY close to this little girl and spoiled her rotten, I was gutted when she left.

I have a child leaving now and its not on good terms. To be honest its AWFUL the mum basically isnt even speaking to me - great stuff that I have my Ofsted inspection tomorrow - how do I go on with "working with parents"?

I was unsure what to do, as I have had real problems with the child but now have had a bit of a dispute with the mother and have given notice as a result, to be honest its just the straw that broke the donkeys back.

People have said I shouldnt buy a gift, especially considering she has actually disputed my notice and given a shorter notice period, but, I feel that I will rise above it and be professional and buy him a small gift.

Each day though, his behaviour is getting me down and she is totally ignoring me, I really feel like NOT doing.

Shivvie
31-03-2011, 08:08 AM
We usually buy a book for a child when they leave and we always take a group photo of us and all the children, so that they have a keepsake photo of all their friends.

We used to do a scrap book of photos but now we have learning journeys it's all in there.

The Juggler
31-03-2011, 08:28 AM
i usually get a little something. :)

Baildon bears
31-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I usually give a photo of mindee with the other children as a keep sake and get the other children to make some little leaving presents, they also take their special hand towel and learning journal.