PDA

View Full Version : child is sometimes coming to me wet

newandlearning
30-03-2011, 03:05 PM
hi all..

sorry to keep asking questions I sometimes don't know what I should be expecting..

I've got one child that gets dropped off to me when I'm doing a pre-school run.. and one two occasion in the past 6 weeks she comes to me wet..

the mum lets her play with her water bottle in the car so sometimes she gets soaked.. now personally I wouldn't give any child a bottle in the car and allow her to drip it all over the place but hey!

today she'd gone to the park tripped up and mum handed her over with a wet skirt and a sweater which had both arms soaked.. I just don't get why she doesn't even mention this and then when I say .. why is she wet she just says oh it was nothing she just tripped.. but it was soaked!:rolleyes:

this lil girl has a cold and a cough at the mo.. and mum is also leaving her inhaler for me to administer... but before we can even begin our day we have to go home and get changed...

do you think this is okay for mum to drop child off wet..?
would you say .. please can you ensure she is in dry clothes prior to drop off?

and also... what would you do re administering the inhaler.. she wants me to give her 10 puffs at a time.. this seems a lot to me? would you give the inhaler?

this lil girl is only 15months old .. sorry am having another just dunno day.:eek: :)

Pipsqueak
30-03-2011, 03:13 PM
10 puffs? that is rather a lot and I find that rather concerning. I would ask if you can speak to the (asthma) nurse for some training in administering the inhaler.

as to the dry clothers - presume mum provides spares but seeing as you are out and about when drop off occurs I think I would be asking mum to ensure that the child is dry as you cannot be expected to disrupt plans and go home to change. If its happening in the car then mum can change her in the car.

caz3007
30-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I would say 10 puffs for a small LO is way too many. Insist that you have a new one in the box with the prescribed amounts. I have a LO who needs a puffer and his is 2-4 and he was just two when it was prescribed.

As to the wet clothes, say she needs to arrive dry especially when the weather is up and down, you dont have the time to change her and its unfair to have her on a school run sitting in the pushchair wet

onceinabluemoon
30-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I am 100% sure that you are only supposed to give prescribed medicines to any child IF they are in the original box/bottle and have the prescription details on them (and belong to the child /are in date/ have recently been prescribed). It is very very dangerous to do otherwise! Imagine if you had a mother with Münchhausen's syndrome...

You need to tell the mother that you need an inhaler to be left at yours all the time and can the pharmacist please put the label in the inhaler rather than the box (they do this for me all the time so it shouldn't be a problem). If she is unwilling to do this (the doc shouldn't find it a problem) then at least insist you have the box with the child's details on it. If she no longer has this send her to get another and tell her you cannot administer drugs without this information.

I'm an asthmatic and the only time I have EVER had ten puffs in one time has been when I've been having a bad asthma attack!. If this is what the LO needs, the prescription label on the box will say so.

It's a small world
30-03-2011, 03:26 PM
10 PUFFS :eek: That seems an awful lot especially for young child. My son has asthma (can be quite severe if gets a chesty cough- to the point of within an hour or two his breathing can deteriorate to zilch and has to be rushed to hospital) Anyway when he starts bad he has 2 puffs counting to ten each time. he can have this several times a day but always only 2 puffs.. Id be teomted also to ask to speak to asthma nurse and get this checked. Hope you get it sorted.. xx

curlycathy
30-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I think the mum is getting confused with the inhaler. My dd has inhalers and the advice is to give a puff, count to 10, then give another one, count to 10 then withdraw. Is it a blue one? I think - could be wrong, probably am lol! - you can give up to 4 puffs which should relieve the attack. If she's needing 10 puffs a day she needs her inhalers changing!

As to the clothes - yes I would be insisting she is dry on handover and also that if that means mum is using her spare clothes before she's even handed over then mum will need to go and get you some spare clothes too!

JCrakers
30-03-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with all....10 puffs is WAY TO MUCH.

I have a 2yr old who has a chest infection so drs gave an inhaler 1 puff, count to 10 in a spacer
I have a 4yr old who has 2 puffs count to 10 inbetwwen
A 7yr old who does the same when needed
Also an 8yr old who has 2 puffs.
(Crikey thats a lot of mindees with an inhaler!)

I would say something about the clothes...maybe drop it into conversation if you dont like confrontation.

Becky

tulip0803
30-03-2011, 04:36 PM
10 puffs of an inhaler will overdose an adult let alone a child!

I have accidently overdosed myself on blue inhaler and you get severe shakes. If she needs the inhaler and 2 puffs don't work after about 5 mins then normal advise is give 2 more then if there is still no improvement seek medical help. (Do I do this for myself - do I heck!!! thats why I end up shaking).

You should always ask to speak to the child's medical team before giving them any prescribed long term medication to ensure that you know what you are doing and then your insurance will also back you up.

snufflepuff
30-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I have been told by 2 different medical professionals that my son can have 10 puffs in to his spacer. BUT this is only if he is really, really struggling. I was told that 10 puffs is the equivalent to being nebulised, and that it could be used if LO is struggling in the night or to buy us time to get to hospital for example. They said it will probably make him shaky and could stop him from sleeping but at least he will be breathing.
Usually it's 2 puffs though.

You definitely need to ask for an inhaler to be kept at your house, with full instructions and dosage, and like others have said you can ask to see the asthma nurse or GP.

jumpinjen
30-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Agree with blue moons advice about scrip stuck to the inhaler..... I do give ten puffs in one go very occasionally when my daughter has an attack in the night and i need to improve her breathing fast before I take her to the out of hours and that's cos she can't have the med they really want her to have til she is five so it isn't as well controlled as we'd all like....... if you did ever need to give ten it would be in a medical emergecny and you'd be on your way to a and e or calling an ambulance and mum!

As to coming wet.... could you try doing a letter for all parents or a newsletter stressing that children must be changed into dry clothes and 'ready for action' when dropped off to you as having to go home to change is disrupting your day..... or ask for spare clothes so you can do it whilst out?

Hugs, Jen x

The Juggler
31-03-2011, 08:43 AM
if she needs 10 puffs on an inhaler she should be visitng the hospital.

Def. have a reveiw with mum. tell her she needs to ensure her daughter is dry when she comes to you as you are not always able to change her and ask her to write down the asthma care plan for you and clarify - as someone else has said - it is one puff and 10 breaths maybe rather than 10 puffs. If she needs 10 puffs daily she needs a review with her GP hon.:)