PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Review...the end of written risk assessments?

Mouse
30-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm slowly ploughing my way through the review!

This looks interesting:

For childminders, written risk assessments can
be particularly burdensome and take time away from working with children. I firmly
believe that there should be common sense in dealing with risk assessments,
enabling practitioners to show that they have considered potential risks, without
spending hours filling in forms.4.15 For this to happen requires a simple, transparent process. I recommend that
clear guidance is included in the EYFS about the amount of paperwork
that should be kept in relation to risk assessments. I also recommend that
practitioners should not have to undertake written risk assessments in
relation to outings, but instead be able to demonstrate, if asked – for
example, by parents or during inspection – the way they are managing
outings to minimize any risk.

kindredspirits
30-03-2011, 10:22 AM
finally some common sense!!!! :clapping:

caz3007
30-03-2011, 10:26 AM
finally some common sense!!!! :clapping:

Hear, hear. We constantly risk assess dont we, our main aim is keep the children safe, so we can risk assess with our eyes and dont need to write it down necessarily

kindredspirits
30-03-2011, 10:34 AM
exactly - i got up this morning and thought 'oh must move my sewing kit so that the baby doesn't pick it up'....... errr duh!! should i have written it down??? (I didn't write it down, I refuse to do pointless paperwork anymore.)

caz3007
30-03-2011, 10:35 AM
exactly - i got up this morning and thought 'oh must move my sewing kit so that the baby doesn't pick it up'....... errr duh!! should i have written it down??? (I didn't write it down, I refuse to do pointless paperwork anymore.)

I have three parks close to me and if one has a problem, occasionally broken glass, then we just go to another. I then ring up to report it when I get home in the hope it wont be there next time. Its all about common sense

noble76
30-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm slowly ploughing my way through the review!

This looks interesting:

For childminders, written risk assessments can
be particularly burdensome and take time away from working with children. I firmly
believe that there should be common sense in dealing with risk assessments,
enabling practitioners to show that they have considered potential risks, without
spending hours filling in forms.4.15 For this to happen requires a simple, transparent process. I recommend that
clear guidance is included in the EYFS about the amount of paperwork
that should be kept in relation to risk assessments. I also recommend that
practitioners should not have to undertake written risk assessments in
relation to outings, but instead be able to demonstrate, if asked – for
example, by parents or during inspection – the way they are managing
outings to minimize any risk.

We are over the moon about this and support this attitude on Noble Minder. Good news for all. :clapping:

Rubybubbles
30-03-2011, 10:49 AM
:clapping: liking it, I walked on a different path today without having a written risk assesment:eek:

Blaze
30-03-2011, 10:51 AM
OK - Now I'm happy!:clapping:

TheBTeam
30-03-2011, 11:18 AM
:clapping: liking it, I walked on a different path today without having a written risk assesment:eek:

You be careful, it is just that sort of daring attitude that gets us a bad name!:rolleyes: :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

Mouse
30-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Whoa...you daredevil you :eek: :ROFL1:

Pipsqueak
30-03-2011, 11:53 AM
has anyone got a link please

sarah707
30-03-2011, 05:27 PM
While I share your joy please remember anyone reading who is about to have a controlled risk assessed bonfire of paperwork...

This might not happen... :panic:

And if it does happen it won't happen until August 2012 at the earliest :D

breezy
30-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Good news, these things might take time but they seem to be moving in the right direction :clapping:

sweets
30-03-2011, 05:47 PM
While I share your joy please remember anyone reading who is about to have a controlled risk assessed bonfire of paperwork...

too late sarah ive done it :panic: absolutely everything has gone up in smoke :panic:

i will just have to have a copy of all your paperwork to keep me going for now please:D

:laughing: :laughing: i wish :laughing:

caz3007
30-03-2011, 05:50 PM
I am dreaming of the space I can make in my already over cluttered house, how nice to have less files and more space for toys :laughing: not that we need any more here

TammyN
30-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I REALLY HOPE THEY DO MAKE CHANGES, THIS IS ONE OF MANY THAT SEM TO MAKE SENSE :clapping:

georgie456
30-03-2011, 06:39 PM

I love this!!!! laughing: :laughing:

venus89
30-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Hooray and hurrah and a big pat on the back :clapping:

tbh I don't RA nearly as much as I should do at all, there's only so much time I wish to spend ticking the same old boxes.

Flisspaps
30-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Most sensible. Unfortunately, as Sarah says, if this is followed then it won't be immediate. Which means I still have to write out pointless RAs for visiting my local shops, library and park, despite the fact that they will be almost identical and all based on the general 'outings' RA I did. Given that the library and park are at one end of my street, and the shops at the other, it seems bonkers that I have to write different ones.

However, I suppose I must show that I have considered risks such as 'bookshelf falling on child's head' and 'shelf of biscuits falling on child's head' :rolleyes: ;)

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I think what I have seen & heard of this Dame Clare Tickell, I like :)
She seems to talk a lot of sense :D

It will be interesting to see what the government chooses to adopt of her recommendations :panic:

nic t
30-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Woohoo! :clapping:

Shame common sense isn't used by some inspectors. :angry: Yes am still really peeved about not meeting the needs of the childminding registers for not having my name on RAs, something that didn't put children in danger and was easily rectified in about a minute!

Wheelybug
30-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Woohoo! :clapping:

Shame common sense isn't used by some inspectors. :angry: Yes am still really peeved about not meeting the needs of the childminding registers for not having my name on RAs, something that didn't put children in danger and was easily rectified in about a minute!

My network coordinator pulled me up for this too. I could understand it if I was working with another childminder. I've tried and tried but haven't yet managed to convince anyone to complete my risk assessments for me:D don't know why, they are such fun to do:D

Splodge
30-03-2011, 07:53 PM
A very interesting read. I have been busy sharing the link with all my childminding friends, who are not on the forum (what are they thinking!!)

I also like the bit about ofsted inspectors not asking for more paperwork than is required and that they are trained to assess us in the same way instead of us having such widely varying results dependant on which inspector you have. xx

The Juggler
31-03-2011, 08:41 AM

It would be a nice thing to wish for but I don't see how we can operate with no written risk assessments. A few less or less 'for each and every outing' would be nice though:D

missymood
31-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Brilliant news for us all :D

Playmate
31-03-2011, 09:40 AM
A very interesting read. I have been busy sharing the link with all my childminding friends, who are not on the forum (what are they thinking!!)

I also like the bit about ofsted inspectors not asking for more paperwork than is required and that they are trained to assess us in the same way instead of us having such widely varying results dependant on which inspector you have. xx

In the last couple of weeks ofsted have just had a huge inspection campaign in our area and I have spoken to at least 3 who were inspected who were told they had too much paper work and why did they have posters all over their homes. Continutity of inspections needs to be looked at probably more than the EYFS.

Mouse
31-03-2011, 09:47 AM
It would be a nice thing to wish for but I don't see how we can operate with no written risk assessments.

I managed for years before EYFS came in :D I've only done written risk assessments since 2008 and I can't say they've made any difference at all to my practice :rolleyes:

The Juggler
31-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I managed for years before EYFS came in :D I've only done written risk assessments since 2008 and I can't say they've made any difference at all to my practice :rolleyes:

oh me too hon, I meant in respect of proving to ofsted that we do actually risk assess:p

Playmate
31-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Errr me too I really don't think my children were any less safe then :D

Kimmy050983
31-03-2011, 12:29 PM
hmmm i love doing risk assessments...:laughing:

nic t
31-03-2011, 12:32 PM
My network coordinator pulled me up for this too. I could understand it if I was working with another childminder. I've tried and tried but haven't yet managed to convince anyone to complete my risk assessments for me:D don't know why, they are such fun to do:D

Ha Ha completely agree! I work alone, no assistant, who do you think bleeding well wrote them the dog?! That would be impressive as I haven't got a dog! :laughing: