PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed by the lack of support

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 10:02 AM
At our Network Support meeting last week, I mentioned to my DW that I was considering doing a level 4 course. I told her I was aware there was no funding - it wasn't money I was after!!
Her response was 'I wouldn't bother' She said things about it being aimed at nurseries, etc and management. I have heard this before, but I am also aware of lots of cm's on this forum that are studying at this level and beyond.

Whatever happened to continuing professional development? :angry: They are supposed to encourage us to take our pd seroiusly, and our careers. I know that she has been (or is) studying for at least a level 4, if not 5 or 6. Why is it ok for her, but not good enough for me?? :mad:

I felt very deflated when I left :mad:

I suppose I don't need their blessing, and I could just do it anyway. Maybe she is worried I want her job!! :D

emile1973
30-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I am currently doing an Early Years Degree....at my inspection 2 weeks ago the inspector asked me why I am bothering!!!!!:panic: :angry:

You go and do it for yourself and your own professional development because sooner rather than later there will be demands for all childcarers to have a form of professional qualification and you will be well on your way by then!!!

Lots of luck x

Pipsqueak
30-03-2011, 01:36 PM
go ahead and do - just to spite them! :laughing: sounds like she was perhaps a tad jealous?

I am at level 6 (gulp that sounds scary) BA Hons - I would say go ahead - if you want to study further, go for it. Perhaps though consider the foundation degree instead though

Mollymop
30-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Some people just can't be bothered to help can they? I emailed my DO about the level 3, I wanted to know from her experience as she used to tutor it, how long it would take me to complete, could I do it at home through NEC, etc etc, and all I got was an email back stating "Hi xxxx Phone this number and they will help you. Regards xxxx." :rolleyes:

Just go ahead and do it for yourself! xx

Polly2
30-03-2011, 02:19 PM
She's probably worried you will end up more qualified than she is!! Go for it you will love it - it has made such a difference to the way I work :thumbsup:

maryp0ppins
30-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Go for it, don't ask them just do what you want to do :thumbsup:

I nipped into a early years support group on Monday and was told my DW should have contacted me after my first inspection (satisfactory) and been in contact at least once a year to help me along the way.

Well I was graded good last week and I told this lady whom works for ofsted I haven't seen or had an email or any phone calls from my DW in 3 years....her eye balls bulged out of her sockets :laughing:

I think from now on I take them all with a pinch of salt & I am just about to start my level 3 :thumbsup:

ja8estar
30-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Go for it I went to my local college twice and had no followup no information
I asked my do and no joy so I pestered the children's centre no joy
Then I had random email about level 3 so I went and handed over cash
lucky for me I got the last of the funding
I did the course in 9 months it was a slog but I got there in the end
lots of people said why bother but I bothered because I care I am also dyslexic and I wanted to show my own children that it is possible if you try
so pester and do it :clapping:

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys :) You have made me feel loads better :D

Pip, I was considering the OU E100 (is that right?), or something similar. As I understand it, at the end of the years course, I get a certificate in it's own right, but can carry on to the next level towards a degree if I choose to go on.

At a monitoring visit for the network a few months back, my DO asked where I see myself in 5 years time. I said that if I had decided that I wanted my house back, I might look at doing something CM related - like her job!! :D Maybe that is why she poo-pooed my aspirations :laughing:

babs
30-03-2011, 06:48 PM
im doing my lvl 3 at moment and want to progress... ive also done nvq 2 basic accounts,book keeping, computerised accounts 1 and 2, and a nail tech course ( lol last one no help at all for cming but mums like having thier nails done) i did other courses because i wanted to and they interested me and even if i dont use them its another feather in my cap so to say and i felt good when i passed each and every one of them. so ignore what she has said and do it for you... good luck

Allie
30-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I would say go for it I did the NVQ3 the certificate in childcare practice (level 4) and the Certificate in Education (level 5) so I could tutor for the NCMA

I left school with the old CSE's and always felt a bit stupid when talking to the parents I work for as they are usually professionals

Getting my NVQ3 gave me so much confidence I went on to other qualifications and have ended up feeling equal to anybody, when people say don't bother if your only going to childmind don't listen to them a confident childminder can positively influence tomorrows adults to go for what they want out of life

Allie

ps it's great to find out all about what makes children act the way they do

kells_bells
13-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I've found the same, I can't even get on training for the brush bus at the moment. Go for it! There's nothing better than improving yourself.
Nothing surprises me with mrsO anymore, mine pulled her face for not having any plans to train :/

Pipsqueak
13-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Pip, I was considering the OU E100 (is that right?), or something similar. As I understand it, at the end of the years course, I get a certificate in it's own right, but can carry on to the next level towards a degree if I choose to go on.

Sorry Mary, I don't know the OU equivelents, I have done my via the local Uni inhouse... I done Foundation degree first year 1 was level 4 equiv year 2 was level 5 and resulted in a Foundation Degree in Childcare and I am now doing year 3 level 6 BA Hons.