PDA

View Full Version : Reins on the Wright Stuff

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I think they are discussing the use of reins on the Wright Stuff later (10.45) In his introductory 'blurb' Matthew Wright was saying that he hasn't seen them used for about 30 years!! :eek: He obviously doesn't see many childminders, as there are times when they are absolutely necessary :D

I think I will have to watch :) (I have no kids this morning :clapping: )
(whilst multi-tasking, completing my SEF)

Playmate
30-03-2011, 09:16 AM
could be interestng I'm supposed to be studying but maybe I could multi task too :D
I use reins all the time, would be without them :rolleyes:

ziggy
30-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Must admit i am only childminder/parent/carer to use them in my village even though traffic can be very busy!!!!

loocyloo
30-03-2011, 10:39 AM
i've always used them as a nanny, childminder & mum!

Playmate
30-03-2011, 10:51 AM
great phone rings at 10.40 and Ive missed it :(

acorns
30-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I'd love to know what was said. I always use them on my own and mindees. I must be the only one round here that does though, and I do see lots of little ones running off down the road, but I'd rather be safe than very sorry. My own dd (3)has a backpack with a rein, she is very strong willed & i don't trust her to walk with me 100%, so as she's happy with a rein then so am I. Probably still be using it when she's 10:laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
30-03-2011, 11:09 AM
It will be repeated later on fiver

Pipsqueak
30-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I use reins - always have done as a parent and a childminder.
not keen on wrist straps though

caz3007
30-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I use reins - always have done as a parent and a childminder.
not keen on wrist straps though

Me too and had children dangling from them too :laughing: :laughing:

I have never used a wrist strap and have always felt they werent safe enough. I had a mum come to me with a 6 year old and said if he wouldnt walk nicely to school then she would lend me a wrist strap, dont think I could use it. I havent needed to as my 8 year old devised a red and green light strategy with all the small schoolies and it works, their parents have even adopted it too.

funemnx
30-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm also the only one where I live who uses reins - another childminder ties the reins to the pushchair and sometimes I see a child holding them but it's not really as safe as the child having them on.

Today, I had 1 in the buggy and 4 children with reins on, the 3 under 5's and 1 rising 5. Mum and I agreed that he should still wear them until the summer hols when we'll start letting him walk without the reins but with lots of activities based on road safety!

babs
30-03-2011, 06:59 PM
i use reins and wrist straps for old ones and slip the end you hold over buggy they always hold on anyway ( did have a moment few weeks ago when i stopped using and lo ran out my heart stopped ... i am the only person that does use at school and when we walk home lo's as young as 3 come running past us parents behide me. ive even caught hold of a few as ive gone to cross and they have too and ive asked them to wait for mum which means ive had to wait as well until they have caught up with me cause i wouldnt forigve myself if something happened and they had crossed over when i did... makes me angry ...

venus89
30-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't at the moment but have done with mindees and my own children in the past, though I tended to use wrist straps - the children wanted them on as they pretended the wrist straps were dog leads and they were dogs!

What did they say on the programme?

TheBTeam
30-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I use them and the first childminding pair I had were passed on from my own kids!

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't at the moment but have done with mindees and my own children in the past, though I tended to use wrist straps - the children wanted them on as they pretended the wrist straps were dog leads and they were dogs!

What did they say on the programme?

They ran out of time really. They had about 3 calls from parents, and they all used reins :) One of them did say that a lady in the street had made a comment about the kids being like dogs on leads :eek: but everyone else was very supportive :clapping:

I do use a wrist strap sometimes with a 6 yo mindee (mum's idea). Reins wouldn't fit him!! :laughing: (he is big!!) they are for his own safety, as he can be a bit of a nightmare! He has been known to take it out of my pocket, put it on, then hand me the other end to hold :D