PDA

View Full Version : EYFS Review - Dame Clare Tickell on Five Live This Morning

clorogue
30-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Did anyone hear it?

She said 70% like the EYFS but it is far too beaurocratic - too much paperwork. She believe people caring for children should be spending more time being with them and looking after them rather than the paperwork. She is reducing the EYFS goals down too. She also said that EYFS has improved standards and is a good framework.

I was half awake whilst listening - but that is basically what she said.

Hebs
30-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Surely (cm anyway) do paperwork once kids have left and not while kids are there?

I dont mind doing EYFS x

clorogue
30-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Not always - especially in nurseries when they are making notes of observations and i do that anyway - making notes of observations whilst they are here and then write them up later and diaries i do whilst they are here to hand to parent in evening.

claire'scherubs
30-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Not always - especially in nurseries when they are making notes of observations and i do that anyway - making notes of observations whilst they are here and then write them up later and diaries i do whilst they are here to hand to parent in evening.

Same here. Observations jotted down, whilst here, diary ready when parents arrive to collect, apart from the one that I email to the parent the next day at work

clorogue
30-03-2011, 06:22 AM
It also depends on how much paperwork you do and some childminders are so much under pressure or behind that it does cut into their working day as otherwise in cuts into their family time. My NCMA advisor told me that whilst the children are playing quietly I could write up all the observations! I am so glad that Dame Clare has picked up on this from the feedback. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

nell57
30-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Yes I heard it and sounded very interesting, but wasn't awake enough to take it in though:rolleyes: . I have saved the link to read later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12894236

marnieb
30-03-2011, 06:48 AM
As good as I think I am - I hate the paperwork. i have all under 2's so any spare time is spent tidying up, and I'm so far behind in my paperwork....! Why - because I work a 10 hour day, and I'm not going to sit at 8pm at night when my kids are in bed and I should be having my dinner doing the EYFS, and my weekends are family time as I don't get to spend any quality time with them during the week because of my job.

sweets
30-03-2011, 06:51 AM
its not the end goals that need reducing its the whole thing!

maybe a 6 monthly review on each childs development would be better. or even better getting rid of it altogether :laughing:

miffy
30-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm not convinced that it will be replaced by anything better (or less time consuming) - just have to wait and see!

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
30-03-2011, 07:16 AM
The thing is if you look at most pre-school and reception LJ they are much less detailed than we do and often in my experience thrown together. They are not linked or next steps at all. No explanation for the parents about what the areas of learning are and often the 'observations' are not put into which area of learning they are. One of the reception classes I used to go into they didn't give the parents a profile at the end because the teacher didn't know how to take it off the computer!!! and this teacher got an Outstanding when she was inspected by Ofsted.

This is what makes me so angry, because again in my experience the LJs completed by Childminders are done to a very very much higher standard. We took all ours to a Network meeting at our Childrens Centre on one occassion and the Centre Manager said she was very impressed and surprised at the quality of our LJs compareed to other settings that she had seen.

I know I take pride in mine but I do spend time on them. The inspectors though seem to pick ours apart and if next steps and linking is not right we get marked down. This does not appear to happen in pre-school or reception classes and this isn't fair so anything that will ease what we do is good.

My parents, frankly are bemused at the amonut of paperwork I produce and ask them to respond to and I don't do as much as a lot of you do. I think that getting to know the children you care for and comunicating well about the child with their parents is the key. EYFS does help but it definately needs to be streamlined.

rickysmiths
30-03-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not convinced that it will be replaced by anything better (or less time consuming) - just have to wait and see!

Miffy xx

I think they might because schools and nurseries are and have been putting pressure on to reduce the paperwork and they are more likely to listen to them because they understand that more paperwork in these institutions costs money. Doesn't matter with us because we do a lot of it in our own unpaid time that doesn't impact on the economy:rolleyes:

Most of us can't put our prices up to reflect the additional hours and money spent on paperwork because we wouldn't get parents to pay us :rolleyes:

PixiePetal
30-03-2011, 07:33 AM
just read this on TV news.

Hope it cuts paperwork for everybody including CM, will wait and see

Newbie1!
30-03-2011, 07:39 AM
As good as I think I am - I hate the paperwork. i have all under 2's so any spare time is spent tidying up, and I'm so far behind in my paperwork....! Why - because I work a 10 hour day, and I'm not going to sit at 8pm at night when my kids are in bed and I should be having my dinner doing the EYFS, and my weekends are family time as I don't get to spend any quality time with them during the week because of my job.

Absolutely agree 100%, obs Im fine with, jotting down, saving pics, doing scrap books etc but its the next steps, future planning, linking things to areas etc that seems to take all my time. I did start this job to spend more time with DD but some days I do wonder if that is happening or if Id be better doing a 9-5. That is only down to the stress for me of doing the paperwork. im sure it does get easier and less time consuming with experience but totally know what you mean xx

Hebs
30-03-2011, 07:44 AM

Miffy xx

I doubt it too and its just something else to get used to!

MaryMary
30-03-2011, 08:52 AM
I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning. She was saying that as well as cutting the early learning goals from 69 to just 17, we should concentrate on the more 'important' areas of learning, ie, PSED, PD & CLL. It was quite interesting, as Charlie Stape (or whatever his name is!) on BBC Breakfast obviously didn't have a clue what she was talking about!! He kept going on about 5 yr old targets & schools, and she said it was all settings, including childrens centres, cm's etc and related to 0-5 yos.

SammyM
30-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Early years learning targets cut

The new Foundation Stage will focus on 17 core areas of development in the pre-school years
A simpler, less bureaucratic system for assessing how young children in England are developing is to be announced.

The Early Years Foundation Stage, which currently has 69 benchmarks, will be reduced to just 17, focusing on basics like physical development and language.

The EYFS has been statutory since 2008 and sets out targets for learning and welfare for childcare providers.

But there has been criticism that it makes carers spend more time ticking boxes and less time with children.

A review of early years was commissioned by the new government in July.

It was carried out by Dame Clare Tickell, chief executive of Action for Children, who is due to publish her recommendations on Wednesday.

Seventeen basics

Dame Clare will say that the EYFS should not be scrapped altogether, because it is right to have a framework to help early years professionals make sure children are learning core life and communication skills.

But she will say that the current EYFS is "far too bureaucratic" with 69 learning goals.

Instead, she will recommend a new strategy focussing on 17 basic areas such as physical development, communication and language and understanding the world.

She will also recommend that the new EYFS be more in line with what children are learning at the age of five in school, and should build on the health and development check each child gets at two and a half years old by a health visitor.

School readiness

Dr Mary Bousted, general secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, said: "We hope the review looks at children's overall readiness to go to school, including their communications, social, physical, and emotional development, and does not just focus on literacy and numeracy.

"We also want to see recommendations about what schools should do to be ready for children, including funding for better adult to child ratios, better services to support children and families, a requirement for outdoor play and greater understanding of the importance of play-based learning.

"We believe that learning should be teacher-led, the curriculum should be broad and balanced, and that nurseries and schools should work together to provide a range of services and support for children in the area.

"We are appalled that cuts to local services are putting children's centres and other early years provision under threat."

BBC © 2011

Yet again not one mention of childminders..

cupcake22
30-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I 100% agree with you.Although my daughters are grown up we still like mum & daughter time in the evenings when we have all finished work & family time at weekends. I am not giving that up ever!

noble76
30-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi All,

The full review is available to read here.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/F/The%20Early%20Years%20Foundations%20for%20life%20h ealth%20and%20learning.pdf

Enjoy the read.

Lisa

SammyM
30-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Is it just me or does any body else do the Mr Tickle Tickling noise in their heads when they read her name??? :laughing: :panic: :laughing: :panic:

WibbleWobble
30-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Is it just me or does any body else do the Mr Tickle Tickling noise in their heads when they read her name??? :laughing: :panic: :laughing: :panic:

thought it was only me!:laughing:

georgie456
30-03-2011, 01:52 PM
The thing is if you look at most pre-school and reception LJ they are much less detailed than we do and often in my experience thrown together. They are not linked or next steps at all. No explanation for the parents about what the areas of learning are and often the 'observations' are not put into which area of learning they are. One of the reception classes I used to go into they didn't give the parents a profile at the end because the teacher didn't know how to take it off the computer!!! and this teacher got an Outstanding when she was inspected by Ofsted.

This is what makes me so angry, because again in my experience the LJs completed by Childminders are done to a very very much higher standard. We took all ours to a Network meeting at our Childrens Centre on one occassion and the Centre Manager said she was very impressed and surprised at the quality of our LJs compareed to other settings that she had seen.

I know I take pride in mine but I do spend time on them. The inspectors though seem to pick ours apart and if next steps and linking is not right we get marked down. This does not appear to happen in pre-school or reception classes and this isn't fair so anything that will ease what we do is good.

My parents, frankly are bemused at the amonut of paperwork I produce and ask them to respond to and I don't do as much as a lot of you do. I think that getting to know the children you care for and comunicating well about the child with their parents is the key. EYFS does help but it definately needs to be streamlined.

I completely agree, but with most Reception classes having 30+ children (our local school has 55 in theirs!) the teachers just cannot be expected to produce LJ's to the same standard as ours.

I am SO proud of the LJ's I have done and thankfully all my parents fully appreciate them. When I took my mindee's LJ into pre-school for a progress meeting with his keyworker last year, they changed theirs to be like mine! (they did ask first though!) But I bet they take all the credit for them!!!

I actually think that this is where CM's can shine at EYFS - precisely because we all do WAY too much (when we know we shouldn't!) and really are about the work we do!

What makes ME angry is that this is never recognised and we are still treated like the lower end of the childcare scale.

Lady Haha
30-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm a bit lost and confuzzled by all of this! Am I right in thinking this is actually going to happen? They are streamlining the EYFS????? Please please please tell me this is true.....:clapping:

If so, when??????? Please let it be tomorrow:laughing:

Edit!!! Just spotted the other thread aimed at us thickies and now I have my answers!

Debster
30-03-2011, 08:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12894236
Could make life easier

Chatterbox Childcare
30-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is the whole report:

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/F/The%20Early%20Years%20Foundation%20Stage%20EYFS%20 Review.pdf
http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/F/The%20Early%20Years%20Foundations%20for%20life%20h ealth%20and%20learning.pdf