PDA

View Full Version : Charging For Travel Expenses

phoebe-alice
29-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Sorry for yet another question, you will all be sick of me! :blush:
I have a bit of a dilema I have a set of parents that need me to take their children home at 8:30pm two or three nights a week.
My partner drives along with me to do any pick-ups or drop-offs, as I have only recently passed my driving test and can't afford to be insured on to his car. So obviously he pays for his petrol. But it has became quite a problem as neither of us can afford the fuel and my poor partner is left with a bad taste in his mouth. :(
I have been flicking through other similar posts to see what is suggested as my first though was to charge the 40 pence per mile considering its over 6 miles there and back. But some seem to advise against it and I'm just confused about it all haha.
If anyone could give me any advise that would be great as me and my partners money isn't going far enough to afford all these trips.

rickysmiths
29-03-2011, 06:12 PM
The trouble is if you charge specifically for the journey then you are classed as a taxi and that means your normal insurance would be invalid. What I would do is write into the contract a higher hourly rate for the time you are driving the children home and make sure you charge that as 'unsocial hours' to cover the time it takes you to take them home to the time you get back home. That way you should be able to cover the cost of the petrol.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Speak to the parents and advise that you can no longer drop off as it isn't financially feasible. Charge an additional "outings" fee on your invoice and make it up of the miles x .45p

sarah707
29-03-2011, 06:55 PM
How old are the children? Can the parents organise a taxi for them? :D

phoebe-alice
29-03-2011, 07:44 PM
How old are the children? Can the parents organise a taxi for them? :D

They are 2 and 3 so I doubt they would like that idea hehe. :laughing: I don't know what to do though? I don't think she would like the putting up price idea, to me the charging for drop-offs seems the only option that wouldn't be shot down.
I didn't really think there would be any problem charging for journeys, but not sure of the implications. :confused:

aly
29-03-2011, 08:28 PM
if parent is happy paying the extra for travelling expenses then why not work it what you would travel per week and add that to their weekly fee and divide it for a slightly enhanced hourly fee?....they are not being charged anymore then if they were paying their weekly fee plus travelling expenses.???

I agree though if you start charging them a travelling fee you are going over shaky ground as you would be classed as a taxi, I wouldn;t go down that route. :panic: