PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had to terminate a contract.

Debster
29-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a mindee after school hi is 11yrs old. He is sorry to have to say this a bit of a Pain in the wotsit . I have had words with him and the mother in the past because he told my DD who was 6 at the time to xx I was fuming to say the least:angry: and told mum if he swore again I would terminate the contract immediately . Any things settlled down now he has started to irritate the little ones with various things such as jumping out on them when they are playing and frightening them and generally being a bit like horrid henry he has no respect for my furniture jumps on my sofa and throws cushions at children. Its got to the point where I dread him appearing as he upsets the apple cart so to speak and my DD's have said they don't like him. Not very nice thing to say I know:blush: but kids speak as they find they are 5 and 7. I want to end the contract I will put it in writing but feel I need to give explanation and can't very well say what I think. I feel really guilty about feeling this way as anyone experienced this kind of thing before
Advise of what to do please I have given it 7 months long enough I think

Mcgons
29-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I terminated a contract after just 3 months due to similar disruptive behaviour. The mindee was the same at home so mum understood, they are now at after school club which was more suitable. I've ended up still doing a morning school drop off as I have a sibling full time, but it was so much calmer when mindee left and I no longer have to constantly tell a child not to do stuff they shouldn't be.

I wrote a normal termination letter then explained to mum that I couldn't care for the others properly due to the behaviour so it was in everyones best interests to terminate the contract.

Good luck, hope it gets sorted!

Pipsqueak
29-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Ofsted are very hot on 'the care of over 8's must not negatively impact upon the under 8's'

and this is obviously what is happening

I would write out notice and give to parents
how he is behaving is totally unacceptable and I would be coming down on him like a TON of bricks

lma
29-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Just recently I had to do exactly this for almost the same reasons. I looked after a child who was 10 yrs old. I'd had him almost 2 years and his behaviour was always challenging (a polite way to put it).
I'd had toys thrown, no respect for either my home, furniture or myself for that matter and I know his behaviour was the same at home as I had umpteen stories about how he's broken this or broken that because he was angry and it got to the point that I'd wake up generally deflated knowing this child was on his way to my home.
The kids generally were either afraid of him or tried acting big seeing the way this child acted and him being 3/4 yrs older they wanted to be like him. After numerous chats with mum and dad his behaviour would change for about a week after each chat but would soon reverse back.

It got to the point where I told mum and dad I couldnt have him in my home because of the effect he was having and we came up with a new contract that I only walked him to the street and he could play there with his friends until he got collected which was usually only 30mins after schools finished. This worked fine for a few weeks until he wanted more freedom than this and I refused. He refused to come home with me one day from school and when I told him enough is enough and to follow me or his privilages to play outside in the street were removed he followed but only after throwing his scooter at myself which missed although it hit my buggy with my daughter in although it was facing away from him so only hit the back otherwise it would have been a trip to accident and emergency. He followed but I got called every name under the sun with him and his friends giggling and then when we got home he broke various toys in a temper, put a hole in my living room door and then threw his mobile on the floor smashing it and taking great delight in saying he would tell everyone I broke it and I would have no children to look after and would have no money, etc.
I terminated his contract and I have to say the atmosphere in my home has completely changed. Theres no tention whereas before it was constantly thinking whats he up to and is so and so alright in there with him, I've walked into rooms before and he's trying to pin a 4yr old down with his knee in his back trying to tell me their playing when other child is sobbing or trying to pick a small child up by his head.
It doesn't get better unless you have the full support of all parties and I knew I wouldnt get it. Now we take delight in having picnics on the floor and having nice chats around the table at tea time and the children have even commented saying 'eee you havent had to shout today' and one even said I'm glad X isnt here anymore as its more fun now he isnt spoiling our games', and thats why I know I made the right decision, and the fact I was getting bald patches from pulling my hair out constantly:laughing:

I think if you feel that way you should definately terminate his contract, for your own sanity if nothing else. I think now we're not paid enough to put up with that and if I had to do it again I wouldnt hesitate.