PDA

View Full Version : Childminding or Teaching Assistant ?

newandlearning
29-03-2011, 12:56 PM
hi all..

at the moment I've not work for september (I know its a way off)..

I'm currently going and volunteering at the local primary and a job has
now come up for a TA... I'm wondering .. do any of you lovely ladies also
work as TA's as well or have you ever done so?

what do you think is good about TA work over childminding?

and what's the best way to prepare for an application and interview? :)

any life experience stories would go down a treat x

Helen Dempster
29-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry, I've not done this myself, but it's something I've been mulling over for a while now, so will be interested in any replies you get.

venus89
29-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I guess the good thing about being a TA would mean regular hours, holidays, and the teacher would be doing the bulk of the planning and the paperwork.

On the other hand it's not that well paid (dh is an LSA, the secondary school equivalent) and you don't have the perks of childminding - it's sunny, let's go out for the day.... Plus you're doing what somebody else tells you all day (manybe that's not so different from childminding :rolleyes: )

Good luck whatever you decide

ziggy
29-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I worked as a TA but felt a bit upset at pay, especially as job changed as years went on but pay didnt increase that much.

I much prefer being a childminder, own boss, go out if i want to. I suppose apart from the job satisfaction i miss the company of other adults but then again dont miss the moaning and complaining in the staff room lol. I find school staff are getting more and more stressed as time goes on so am happy to continue childminding

Chatterbox Childcare
29-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I love the childminding, being my own boss and of course the money helps!

But if you require a different direction for your sanity that makes sense.

What about combining the two and do before and after schoolers which would supplement your income in the hols?

WibbleWobble
29-03-2011, 03:45 PM
i know a TA who combined with being a CM...it was great for her as long as she only picked up from her own school. Sometimes became a problem when she had to do inset days but she organised a back up Cm and it was a great system. I inherited her schoolies cos she got another job at another school with some promotion and time to do some studying.

She said she misses the spontinaity (sp) of CM term time but she dosesnt miss working her hols and the mess!!!

(and she likes the sickness pay etc!)

mandy xx

murphy61
29-03-2011, 04:04 PM
this is something ive been thinking about also, what i currently earn now and i still wouldnt really get much more filling the 2 after school spaces i have. the paperwork also does my head in, just always seem to be doing something paperwork wise struggle to find time to do nvq work let alone a nice family evening plus the hours and holiday sound interesting to me plus i think it will be good for my sanity
I have requested an application for a position near me and will be sending it in and going from there if i get a reply.

for me it will slightly more on annual income yes ill have tax to pay but no other expenses and it would be regular and gauranteed.

jsut gonna try my best and hope for for the best.

Blackcat
29-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I worked as a TA but felt a bit upset at pay, especially as job changed as years went on but pay didnt increase that much.

I much prefer being a childminder, own boss, go out if i want to. I suppose apart from the job satisfaction i miss the company of other adults but then again dont miss the moaning and complaining in the staff room lol. I find school staff are getting more and more stressed as time goes on so am happy to continue childminding

same here i was a HLTA , i ended up doing most of the teachers job for half the pay

*daisychain*
29-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm currently working as a TA in a Primary school, I'm due to finish in june to start childminding :clapping:
I've worked there for 10 years and the job had changed a lot from when I first started. I've covered PPA basically this is covering for the teacher, following their plans and delivering the lessons to the whole class. The pay doesn't match up to the job at all, more and more responsibility is put on TAs but the pay never seems to change.
For the past 4 years I have been a Key worker in the foundation unit and it's really disheartening when I can't give the children the one to one time they need because I have a billion and one other things to do. My group gets changed every half term so the role of a key person does not work.
Can't wait to start Childminding so I can do the job how it should be done :)

onceinabluemoon
29-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I was a LSA in a primary school (Learning Support Assistant as opposed to teachers assistant), and have been a childminder for 2 and a half years.

When I'm having a good day, the sun is shining, I'm out at the park or beach and all the children are happy I prefer childminding. But on a bad day when it's been raining for days, I have grumpy cheeky children and everything goes wrong then I get a parent snapping your head off I prefer being an LSA...

munch149
29-03-2011, 05:05 PM
If you are planning to apply, do your cv as well as a cover letter( about you and why you are best for the job) and prepare yourself for the fact that you may be observed doing a small group activity which can be scary for some. I did some work as supply teacher/ ta before starting childminding and prefer it although benefits of ta are holidays sick pay and a tidier home and job satisfaction if you enjoy it. Hth

The Juggler
29-03-2011, 09:40 PM
i think it depends on what you earn now hon.

you get paid (usually) 0830 t0 1530 but end up working longer hours than that (before 0830, after 1530 and lunchtimes too:( ) for no extra pay. Attending meetings for no extra and for around £700/month.

On the plus side you leave the job when you go home and you get all the hols off.