PDA

View Full Version : medicine

spowage
28-03-2011, 08:22 PM
hi i have a mindee who needs calpol at the moment i have parents perrmission in writing and all relevant forms fillied in, the child hates any type of medicine gets angry spits ect......parents told me they put it into her milk! they told me to do the same i said id rather not as she doesnt always finish her milk.....are we legally allowed to add medicine to food or drink??? i wondered if anybody knew thanks xx

miffy
28-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Can I ask why she needs calpol atm?

We're not supposed to give any medicine unless there is a clear medical reason to give it. I definitely wouldn't add it to her milk or food - what if another child got hold of it by mistake?

Miffy xx

babs
28-03-2011, 08:29 PM
one of my mindees you have to hold down and use a syringe i wont do it, parents give before they come and when they pick up id try and give if i needed to but if they spit out id ring parents to come and administer. niece will only take medicine added to a little but of coke now as that's what doctors said to do when she wouldn't take tamiflu

spowage
28-03-2011, 08:41 PM
the child in question has a nasty cough and i suspect had temp at weekend! i sit and half feed her and other children were not around today i feel very wrong to put in milk and mum says she puts it in yoghurts to hide it....ive never done this not even with my own children i used to pin my boy down and get syringe in corner of mouth and he still spat grrrr i suppose if shes that ill she shouldnt come to me i just wondered if ofsted would be happy for us to add to milk or food.

miffy
28-03-2011, 08:53 PM
i just wondered if ofsted would be happy for us to add to milk or food.

I don't think they would see it as good practice.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
28-03-2011, 08:55 PM
The only way to know if Ofsted are happy with that is to ask them.

Calpol will not do anything for the childs cough though and if that is the only reason its been given then i would not do it.

I would not be happy about hiding it in food or drink - you have other children to consider. She also needs to learn to take medication. I used to encourage in a syringe and give a drink between mouthfuls.

Cazz
28-03-2011, 09:36 PM
In my opinion if the child won't take medicine off a spoon then it should be mum who is administering it as you can't be expected to "hide" medicine. As someone said what if another child had some of the food or drink? Also, unless the child finishes all the milk/food you can't know how much calpol she's had to log on the medicine form.

In this case if the mum feels the child is unwell enough to need medicine she should keep the child at home so she can do the administering.

alwaysright
29-03-2011, 04:27 AM
i definately would not hide it in food! i'd tell mum that if she wants to do that then thats up to her but you cant, i once had a mum asking me to give medicine saying she doesnt like it and has to be pinned down, i told her i'm sorry i cant do that! i could do it to my own children but couldnt restrain a child like that to give them medicine and they would have to do it themselves! she understood why i couldnt do it

spowage
29-03-2011, 06:28 AM
im completely aware that you may not know how much a child has taken if put in food or drink thats why im not happy about it ...but i appriciate your comments thankyou .x

mama2three
29-03-2011, 06:55 AM
ds went through a stage of being incredibly distressed when given medicine. he got himself so upset he would be sick - and bring it all back up! I must admit we got round it by mixing it into a fromage frais . Having said that I wouldnt ask anyone else to do this!

kindredspirits
29-03-2011, 07:26 AM
i've mixed medicine into food for my son before IMO its preferable to pinning them down and virtually choking them with a syringe. BUT I wouldn't do either to a minded child TBH and especially not just for calpol - if child is ill and won't take calpol, child goes home. Simple! ;)