PDA

View Full Version : New childminder in need of advice.

CC77
28-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I am new to childminding, I have had children for 3 weeks now. I am getting on brilliantly with the kids, the problem is that the mum does shifts and there is no regular pattern to them. She is very slow in letting me know what hours she needs from me, generally a text late on a sunday evening to say can I have them on monday!!
This has made doing a contract really difficult and as yet there is no contract signed.
Whilst this situation is annoying it is ok while I don't have any other children. I have however just had a message from a mum wanting to meet me, who would want 2 set days.
I don't want to make things difficult for the first mum, but the situation is making it very difficult for me to accept other children.
As I have a little one of my own her 2 kids fill up my spaces.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

venus89
28-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I think you need to talk to the first mum as soon as possible and get a contract sorted. Without one if there are any problems you're not covered - I'm not even sure if your public liability would cover you, but somebody will be along to clarify that at some stage.....

At the end of the day you can sort the contract as you like - you could even make it ad hoc if that suits you, or you can charge a retainer for the days not used. But you need to be aware of the impact the floating days will have on your business, on whether you're going to eventually get annoyed with Mum's lack of notice (and build a notice period for days wanted into the contract if poss) and how much you'll be relying on any income....

Pipsqueak
28-03-2011, 08:45 PM
When i have had shift workers I wrote on the contract

variable hours required: minimum of xxxx hrs per week over xxxx days to be paid for
floating days Mon-Fri
hours to be given to me 1 week in advance....

get a contract signed asap tell mum no sign no childcare

Consider how you are charging if its a rolling week 1 child is taking up a full time space - ensure your fees recognise this

Vickster
28-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a shift policy as I have two siblings with a Mum that does shifts, it includes min hours to be paid and also notice to be given. Penny gave good advice on shifts a while back, try searching shifts or shift work'on the forum.

caz3007
29-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I have had this and I personally wouldnt do it again. I know on a saturday what I am doing next week. We agreed a minimum set of hours. The difference I have to you, is I have three EYFS places and certainly wouldnt allow my only spaces to be on those sort of terms. I am not worried at the current time about filling the 3rd space full time, so it works for me

I would be inclined to meet with the 2nd mum and if she wants to use you, then you will have to sit down with the first parent and state that you are unable to work those set days and if she doesnt like it then she will have to pay for you to keep the places for her

CC77
30-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I spoke to the mum today and her job really doesn't allow for her to commit to any specific days or hours during the week. However, I explained that I had other people enquiring about my availability and that our current situation made it very difficult to give them an answer.
She was very understanding and said that she would be happy to work around me.