PDA

View Full Version : Games with tennis balls

ChocolateChip
28-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Gonna show my age now :blush: but when I was at primary school we used to play a game with a tennis ball that was stuffed down the leg of an old pair of tights, then we stood with our back to a wall, held the other end of the tight leg and basically flung the ball from side to side against the wall. I seem to remember that sometimes it would go under a leg or over your head, etc.
Does anyone have the foggiest what I am on about or am I just a raving loony in my dotage? :D

We also had another one with two tennis balls that I think we called 'sevensies', where we 'juggled' the balls against the wall and there were different stages like 'upsies. clapsies, dropsies, turnsies'- anyone used to play this either?

Was trying to remember what else we did as I thought my dd's and mindees would enjoy it, I don't think they play anything like that these days.

missymood
28-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Yep showing my age:blush:
I can't remember but was there a song that went with the ball in the tights?:D

PixiePetal
28-03-2011, 08:37 PM
we used to play with balls against the wall - wasn't allowed at home, dad was a decorator and did not allow it on the painted rendered walls of our bungalow!

We only used 1 ball and had to each thing 10 times without dropping it. Then all again a pace further back till you were so far back you missed it :laughing:

things were so simple in the old days :laughing:

venus89
28-03-2011, 08:42 PM
lol - I'm too young! :laughing:

But I do wonder how many games we used to pla would be in playgrounds now. I know my children play clapping games and play some of the ball games we did but I'm not sure if they have the long skipping ropes any more?

babs
28-03-2011, 08:45 PM
showing my age now too, i seem to remember a song but cant remember the words .... we use to call the throwing ball against the wall 2 ball...

miffy
28-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Found this

Onesies: Throw the ball at the wall and catch it before it hits ground.

Twosies: Throw the ball, let it bounce once between the line and the wall, and catch it. Repeat.

Threesies: Throw the ball, clap three times, and catch the ball before it bounces. Repeat three times.

Foursies: Throw the ball, twirl your hands around each other four times, then catch the ball before it bounces. (Four times, and so on.)

Fivesies: Throw under one leg and catch it before it bounces.

Sixies: Throw the ball behind your back or over one shoulder and catch it before it bounces.

Sevensies: Throw the ball, turn, clap twice, turn again, and catch the ball before it bounces.

Eightsies: Throw the ball, bring up your right foot and touch your ankle, bring up your left foot and touch your ankle, and catch the ball on the first bounce.

Ninesies: Throw the ball, spin around, and catch the ball before it hits the ground.

Tensies: Bounce the ball seven times on the ground, slap it off the wall with one hand, and catch it before it bounces. Can you do this one ten times?

Similar thing I think - we also called it two ball.

I remember the tights and ball too but I can't remember the rhymes.

Miffyxx

ChocolateChip
29-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Miffy, that's brilliant- that's exactly what we used to do, except I had forgotten half of it, lol!

Thanks so much for that, did you find it on a website or something?

Cammie Doodle
29-03-2011, 11:29 AM
We used to play with 2 or 3 balls against the wall. Ican still do it with 2 , but not 3 lol . Mindees are impressed that I can "Juggle" :laughing:

NI MINDER
29-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi all - bit of a newbie but couldnt resist replying to this :)

Miffy we played what you have listed but only up to 7 - BUT first time we did it with both hands, then with right hand, then with left and then standing on one leg alternating hands, then cant remember ..... but possible with back to wall!! - we played this when it rained at school inside the bike shelters - oh happy days :laughing: :laughing:

PixiePetal
29-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Found this

Onesies: Throw the ball at the wall and catch it before it hits ground.

Twosies: Throw the ball, let it bounce once between the line and the wall, and catch it. Repeat.

Threesies: Throw the ball, clap three times, and catch the ball before it bounces. Repeat three times.

Foursies: Throw the ball, twirl your hands around each other four times, then catch the ball before it bounces. (Four times, and so on.)

Fivesies: Throw under one leg and catch it before it bounces.

Sixies: Throw the ball behind your back or over one shoulder and catch it before it bounces.

Sevensies: Throw the ball, turn, clap twice, turn again, and catch the ball before it bounces.

Eightsies: Throw the ball, bring up your right foot and touch your ankle, bring up your left foot and touch your ankle, and catch the ball on the first bounce.

Ninesies: Throw the ball, spin around, and catch the ball before it hits the ground.

Tensies: Bounce the ball seven times on the ground, slap it off the wall with one hand, and catch it before it bounces. Can you do this one ten times?

Similar thing I think - we also called it two ball.

I remember the tights and ball too but I can't remember the rhymes.

Miffyxx

brilliant :laughing: now I need a wall!!