PDA

View Full Version : Childcare tax credits and mat leave

clio0602
28-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi I've just had a dream enquiry for Nov. A baby 4 full days term time only. Mum has said she would love to settle lo and herself in slowly by doing 2 half days a wk from the Sep but would only be able to afford it if she could get help moneywise. Can you claim childcare taxcredits before you return to work from maternity leave? I think you can but wanted to make sure before I said anything x

Also I was going to charge a small retainer can she claim for this? I might just forget about retainer if she can't as I really want this lo would be perfect for us all x

muffins
28-03-2011, 07:49 PM
TBH I don't think you can. If someone is claiming for an older child before they go on mat leave then this can continue but don't think you can make a new claim till you go back to work!

Minstrel
28-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the above post, I'm afraid.

Being on maternity leave means you are employed for the sake of all benefits and accruement of benefits (like holidays for example).

Def get her to check and ask.

clio0602
28-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Ooh ok Thanks anyway lol

I'll ask her to give them a call. Didn't want to mention anything to her but would love to start with lo in Sep before the separation anxiety hits lol x

PixiePetal
28-03-2011, 08:53 PM
my mindees mum is on mat leave for second child - now 3 months old. she has carried on sending mindee - aged 2 -for 2 days a week (instead of 3 - has altered it with tax credits) till she goes back to work and hopefully I get baby too.

she thought it would have to stop - but they told her she was still employed so could carry on. keeps him settled here and gives her a break!