PDA

View Full Version : Working out how much to claim for food and drink

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I got this information from a fact sheet today and thought it may be of interest as an opinion as the subject is being debated quite a bit

Food and Drink

Childminders have suggested that it would be useful if HMRC would allow a set amount for children’s meals. In fact, HMRC has always been keen that taxpayers claim only the actual sums spent, which is why it is willing to offer a concession on receipts rather than allow a flat rate for meals. The argument is that while some childminders may provide “gourmet” meals, others may provide beans on toast – so a flat rate wouldn’t be fair.

Most tax offices are quite flexible. If, for instance, you regularly make batches of food and use half for the children you care for and half for your family, just claim half as expenses – there’s no need to budget down to the last spoonful of flour or splash of milk.
HMRC guidance (Business Income Manual: BIM52751) says that “reasonable estimates for the costs of food and drink provided for the children being cared for are
acceptable and receipts will not be required”. However, if you buy food or other items for childminding alongside normal household shopping, it would be good practice to
keep the receipts for the total and highlight these particular items. Although you need not keep receipts for tax purposes, you must now keep a record of food purchases for food hygiene reasons.

Alibali
28-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Thank you:thumbsup:

Cazz
28-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I've read this factsheet recently as well.

So to me it clarifies that the way you advised me to work out my food expenses was right Debbie - dividing the total expense by the number of people in my family plus mindees to find out the cost per person and then multiplying by the number of mindees.

I'm going to continue doing it this way - it really doesn't take that long when you get the hang of it :thumbsup:

Sara T
29-03-2011, 11:14 AM
thanks for posting this, I am keeping my records of foods purchased, but it is split between my own children and mindees on different days.

I thought it may be easier to calculate a total per child attending each day but it seems this might not be the best option.

It is actually quite hard to work it out as I buy different things each week that last for different amounts of time etc.

I will be keeping an eye on current HMRC advice as I dont want to get into trouble!! lol

Sara :)

Chatterbox Childcare
29-03-2011, 11:34 AM
thanks for posting this, I am keeping my records of foods purchased, but it is split between my own children and mindees on different days.

I thought it may be easier to calculate a total per child attending each day but it seems this might not be the best option.

It is actually quite hard to work it out as I buy different things each week that last for different amounts of time etc.

I will be keeping an eye on current HMRC advice as I dont want to get into trouble!! lol

Sara :)

Sarah I do mine based on the children that come in the week. i.e. 6 children and 4 family (incld me and DH) divide by 10 and mult x 6. I do one calculation a week and it take secs

venus89
29-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that - I do a rough estimate and stick to that figure each week checking regularly that it still works out much the same. It's good to know it doesn't have to be exact !

Sara T
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I think Im just paranoid because Im knew to this side of things and didnt know where to start as have diff children diff days and buy my own personal things with my big shop ( loo roll, nappies for my children etc ) I didnt know where to start!

Im ok with the bigger purchases and individual trips to shops etc but splitting my big shop calculations for minding purposes seems difficult as the mindees dont have everything I buy for my own family ( evening meals etc )

if I didnt itemise all shopping and do a daily amount for each child based on the meals they have, would that be acceptable to HMRC do you think?

I have the children for breakfast lunch and snacks and drinks, but no eve meals, so this might be easier for me.....what do you think?

Sara x

Chatterbox Childcare
01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=Sara T;901166]I think Im just paranoid because Im knew to this side of things and didnt know where to start as have diff children diff days and buy my own personal things with my big shop ( loo roll, nappies for my children etc ) I didnt know where to start!

Im ok with the bigger purchases and individual trips to shops etc but splitting my big shop calculations for minding purposes seems difficult as the mindees dont have everything I buy for my own family ( evening meals etc )

if I didnt itemise all shopping and do a daily amount for each child based on the meals they have, would that be acceptable to HMRC do you think?

This is fine - you can use any method which works for you

Sara T
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
thank you,

thats a great help. I think as they have similar things each week it will be easy(ish) to calculate.

will get my maths head on later!!

thanks again

sara :)