PDA

View Full Version : Sand table or sand pit?

buzzy bee
28-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Do kids use sand / water tables or do they prefer to sit down in the sand?

I'm trying to decide which to buy!

Minstrel
28-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I've had both.

We had to get rid off the sand pit because lots of bugs decided to make it their home.

Sand table is also much easier to move (shade etc), and to change the sand over.

mama2three
28-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I have both and they definitely prefer getting in!

rickysmiths
28-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I must say I don't regret buying a sand table. Its not so messy and I think more accessable for more of the year.

mama2three
28-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I must say I don't regret buying a sand table. Its not so messy and I think more accessable for more of the year.

thats very true. my table gets most use in winter , and I can empty out sand and use it for lots of other messy and gloopy stuff.

So both then!:rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
28-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Table - it can be moved, I have a cover for mine and this obviously deters cats, not sure its less messy though:D

Alibali
28-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Now, I know a lot of you already know this, but I HATE SAND!!!!

We go to visit the sand park or to visit friends who have sand pits to allow the children the experience of sand play, but don't have it in my garden, yucky stuff:)

Rubybubbles
28-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Table, although I haven't had sand in it for ages:laughing:

rice and lentils, moon sand, rainbow rice, spagetti but no sand:laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I have a sand table which is used for all sorts of things so I favour it over a pit.

The children can all stand around it, climb in and on it and mine has a list that slips down the back and when on has a car track (or train) on the top so it used all year round

mushpea
28-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I've had both and they seem to like both,, they like being able to get in the sand pit and the sand seems to stay in a sand pit more ,, they like the table casue they can stand at it but it does seem to spill out mmore,,, this doesent bother me cause we have our garden all block paved so can just sweep it up,,as for the bugs we had this problem one year so we bought some plastic to put under neath the sand pit and up the insides slightly so the sand was totaly contained.

kel1983
28-03-2011, 06:45 PM
we have a sand table. Just the right height for the lo's

PixiePetal
28-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Now, I know a lot of you already know this, but I HATE SAND!!!!

We go to visit the sand park or to visit friends who have sand pits to allow the children the experience of sand play, but don't have it in my garden, yucky stuff:)

I hate sand too - we have had this discussion before!

there is an indoor sand pit at farm park we go to and a huge one outside there too. By the time we have had 2 buses home again it mostly drops off :)

Alibali
28-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I hate sand too - we have had this discussion before!

there is an indoor sand pit at farm park we go to and a huge one outside there too. By the time we have had 2 buses home again it mostly drops off :)

Thats my type of sand play:D

The Juggler
28-03-2011, 06:55 PM
table - easier to empty out and they don't sit in it - mind you they still end up with sand in their pants :laughing: :laughing:

JumpingJacks
28-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I reffer the sandpit, kids can get in and out and more sand to share :)

blue bear
28-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Sand pit for sand, sand table for water cornflour, lentils dinosaurs etc.

Those that like to get messy prefer the pit, those that like to be clean prefer the table

jane5
28-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I have just bought a Chad Valley apple sand pit from argos £17.99.
It is great for the price and has a lid which is exactly the same size as the sand pit (so really is 2 sand pits) and I have used that for water and balls ect...
I dont know how to do a link but have a look cos its a bargain :D

buzzy bee
28-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies! :thumbsup:

I did have a look at that Apple sandpit and it looks lovely... here's the link in case anyone else wants to look:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650691/Trail/searchtext%3ESAND+PIT.htm

They also have a wooden one for only £20 which is pretty good, and I did want a wooden one...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3650976/Trail/searchtext%3ESAND+PIT.htm

However based on most of the responses I think I will go for a table because I think I'll probably get more use of it, as people have pointed out for messy stuff throughout the year.

:)

babs
28-03-2011, 07:53 PM
sand table mine gets used outdoor in summer for sand and indoor in winter for other stuff....... also got water table and i put compost out in a plastic mat they can crawl around in ....

Monkey26
28-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Sand table... because we live a 5 min walk from the beach so they can roll around in it as much as they please there hahaha! We also swap it to water every once in a while :) xx

Fraggle1
28-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Hiya!

I have a sand/water table and then when I bought a cement tray it brought everything together that I needed :o) If it's a quick sand play then they use the table, if they are out there to really get stuck in I put it on the cement tray....that also means that I can just have water in the table in the summer and just put the sand in the tray...it's great! :) xx

onceinabluemoon
28-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I bought a sand and water table. The reasoning was that it was raised so a child in a wheelchair could also access it.

Jacko81
29-03-2011, 11:57 AM
I much prefered a sand pitt so bought a beautiful large wooden one. My daughter loved it until one day she was playing and i noticed the sandmoving...........no it was full of spiders, big ones!!!!!!!!! i had had a cover on it etc but it was full and they had nested!!!

Needless to say, the sand was took out and it the pitt is now a veggie patch and i have a sand table which i feel is much more practical. Still i am a bit gutted about the pitt like, never mind.:)

venus89
29-03-2011, 12:07 PM
A few years ago I bought and sand and water tray http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=little+tikes+sand+water&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11345238703513738667&sa=X&ei=2sqRTb_0NdOKhQe7wfCYDw&ved=0CDYQ8gIwAA#

Never again! They put the sand in the water, the water in the sand... which is fine but they'd mix them up so much that each time both sides would have to be emptied out, cleaned..... So last year it turned into my messy play table - Gelli Baff, beans and lentils, sometimes water, sometimes sand, etc. and I've bought a lovely wooden sandpit for them to sit in (which is broken, so we can't use it, but I'm working on getting the company to take it back.....)