PDA

View Full Version : What MPV do you drive? Do you rate it?

Chell
28-03-2011, 05:39 PM
My Zafira is costing me a fortune in repairs, I think it is time to get rid of it.

I use all 7 seaters, each seat (except mine of course!) needs to be able to have either a booster or car seat on it.

* What car do you have?

* Does it have a lap belt or proper seat belt in the middle seat?

* What is the boot space like?

* WOuld you recommend it for childminding or not? Any pros or cons?

Thank you!

kindredspirits
28-03-2011, 05:42 PM
we've just bought a tourneo - its a ford transit van with 8 seats and windows etc all round. it has a HUGE boot - 6 FULL SIZED seats with 3pt. seat belts in both rows and its a doddle to drive, cheap to repair as transits are ten a penny - and my insurance was only £300 for the year with direct line :thumbsup:

venus89
28-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Peugot 807.

I love lots of things about it. It has sliding doors for the passengers so there's no danger of children bumping them into the next car. It feels huge inside. Each seat is separate so there's lots of space, room to fit three car seats across the middle no problem. The seats can turn around so you can make a picnic table style arrangement inside.

I like that it has a second rear view mirror, a swivelly one so you can keep an eye on the kids as well as the road behind. The passenger seats have their own air control too so you don't end up with one person too hot and one too cold. There are built in sunscreens too, for all the rear windows.

It drives really nicely and is sooooo comfortable - we did an 8 hour journey in it last year and nobody complained once, even when we repeated the same 8 hour journey the following day after a night in a tent....

Down sides? It's difficult to get to parts in the engine as it's recessed so repairs can be costly. The handbrake is on the left of the drivers seat, which took a while to get used to, and the speedo is in the centre of the dashboard as opposed to in front of the driver which also took some time to get used to.

Insurance is low for the class and economy is high.

venus89
28-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh, and I can fit 6 children, a double buggy and a picnic hamper in ;)

Alibali
28-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I used to have the zafira, now have the renault grand scenic. I much prefer the scenic, it is small enough still to be a car but big enough to get 6 seats into. The back seats are small and no good for adults, but the rest of the seats are full sized. They move forward independantly which helps, isofix fittings in the 3 middle row seats and front seat. The boot space is slightly bigger than the zafira too, so easier to get a double in. I find it cheaper to run than the zafira too. Lots of underfloor/chair storage too for all those little extras.

Chell
28-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I used to have the zafira, now have the renault grand scenic. I much prefer the scenic, it is small enough still to be a car but big enough to get 6 seats into. The back seats are small and no good for adults, but the rest of the seats are full sized. They move forward independantly which helps, isofix fittings in the 3 middle row seats and front seat. The boot space is slightly bigger than the zafira too, so easier to get a double in. I find it cheaper to run than the zafira too. Lots of underfloor/chair storage too for all those little extras.

A Grand Scenic Dynamic is advertised locally, low mileage and affordable. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I find my Zafira too small (was great when it was just my own three children) but I don't want to drive something too big. My Dad's Chryssler Grand Voyager is huge, really wide and long.

blue bear
28-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I am on my second vw sharan, all seats have 3 point seat belt, 5 back seats removable, two seats have built in boosters and baby harnesses. You can move seats forward to make boot bigger but it's not massive, I fit p&t in no problem but then it is full.

It is reasonable on repairs and both have been brilliant runners INS is £350

It has a very small turning circle and I find driving forward into car park spaces difficult so I just reverse.

ajs
28-03-2011, 07:40 PM
A Grand Scenic Dynamic is advertised locally, low mileage and affordable. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I find my Zafira too small (was great when it was just my own three children) but I don't want to drive something too big. My Dad's Chryssler Grand Voyager is huge, really wide and long.

mine is a dynamic

i loove it

the seating can be a pain if the children are bigger ( as ali says the back seats are not so good for very big children) but it's so easy to drive and very very comfortable and the boot space is good for me

Chell
28-03-2011, 08:02 PM
mine is a dynamic

i loove it

the seating can be a pain if the children are bigger ( as ali says the back seats are not so good for very big children) but it's so easy to drive and very very comfortable and the boot space is good for me

Can you use the back seats for boosters/car seats though?

Chell
28-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Peugot 807.

I love lots of things about it. It has sliding doors for the passengers so there's no danger of children bumping them into the next car. It feels huge inside. Each seat is separate so there's lots of space, room to fit three car seats across the middle no problem. The seats can turn around so you can make a picnic table style arrangement inside.

I like that it has a second rear view mirror, a swivelly one so you can keep an eye on the kids as well as the road behind. The passenger seats have their own air control too so you don't end up with one person too hot and one too cold. There are built in sunscreens too, for all the rear windows.

It drives really nicely and is sooooo comfortable - we did an 8 hour journey in it last year and nobody complained once, even when we repeated the same 8 hour journey the following day after a night in a tent....

Down sides? It's difficult to get to parts in the engine as it's recessed so repairs can be costly. The handbrake is on the left of the drivers seat, which took a while to get used to, and the speedo is in the centre of the dashboard as opposed to in front of the driver which also took some time to get used to.

My Dad had an old 807, I thought it seemed big to drive but I think I'm going to have to get used to that. :eek: The Zafira that I drive has the same size wheel base as an Astra car.

Alibali
28-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Can you use the back seats for boosters/car seats though?

Yes, I use mine for high back boosters to give added head protection.

Minstrel
28-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Peugot 807.

Aren't handbrakes usually on the left of the driver's seat????

venus89
28-03-2011, 08:24 PM
My Dad had an old 807, I thought it seemed big to drive but I think I'm going to have to get used to that. :eek: The Zafira that I drive has the same size wheel base as an Astra car.

Oh, it's a big car. But I did get used to it far quicker than I'd have imagined and it does feel really spacious inside which is important to us with three growing children and some long long journeys - in May we're driving it to Switzerland, for instance, so she had to be big and comfy...

TheBTeam
28-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I have got a Chrsyler Grand Voyager (the version before the latest one), and love it.

I have a Ford Galaxy which i also like, but this should be going this week cos we are all being well picking up our new Chrysler Grand Voyager which although not brand new is the later design and this will prob become our family car and our back up childminding car.

The doors slide, the seats stow away which is useful and all seats have full seat belts, with plenty of boot space.

helencart
28-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi

i drive the Ford Smax.....it's fab. I've had a galaxy and a alhambara but the smax beats them both. The seats are fine for car seats and the middle belt is a proper seat belt. the boot is good to....I get a double buggy in the boot. The other perk is the seats all lie flat down.:clapping:

Chell
28-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Aren't handbrakes usually on the left of the driver's seat????

She meant to say on the right, my Dad's old Peuguot was the same.

~Chelle~
28-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I have the Citroen C8, it is the same as a 807, with the automatic rear sliding doors, which are great for getting the kids in and out.

The seats are full sized and all have full seat belts. Love the boot space as i can get my double and single in it at the same time.

I have gone from Zafira to this car and it doesn't feel any bigger to drive, although it is a little bigger.

Love driving this car x

BlondeMoment
28-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I've just bought a Renault Espace. It has 7 seats and I can fit my folded double buggy in the boot with all 7 seats in use. I can also move them all back into the boot space so 7 adults can ride comfortably too. You sit very high which is great when putting the kids in the car and out again. No stooping down. I'm really pleased with it so far.

A friend of mine has a Mazda which has sliding doors and 7 seats but not so much room in the boot. She loves it though and says it's lovely to drive.

Have a look on www.7-seater-cars.co.uk. It really helped me x

Minstrel
28-03-2011, 08:49 PM
She meant to say on the right, my Dad's old Peuguot was the same.

Gosh yes that would be weird- between you and the door? I would catch my massive bum on it!

WibbleWobble
29-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi

i drive the Ford Smax.....it's fab. I've had a galaxy and a alhambara but the smax beats them both. The seats are fine for car seats and the middle belt is a proper seat belt. the boot is good to....I get a double buggy in the boot. The other perk is the seats all lie flat down.:clapping:

oooh...my hubby wants me to get that one. we have a Cmax at the mo and i love that (its only 5 setas though). I like the c max cos the back seat is long enough to take three car seats!!!!

mandy xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
29-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Have 2 - 6 seater Honda FRV with 6 full sized seats - just like a normal ar and the middle seat in the front folds down it not in use

Second one is a Toyota Previa - havy on costs as it is a 2.4 but I love it

MaryMary
29-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a Grand Scenic (Dynamique) and I love it! My last car was the old style nissan micra, so definitely more room! Although DH had a Zafira.

It is great to drive, has the extra rear view mirror, to keep an eye on the kiddies, under floor storage space, built in sun screens. It also has the parking brake on the right! The brake comes of automatically when I pull away - so no more driving away with the hand brake on! :clapping: :clapping: I have a big storage compartment and arm rest where the handbrake normally is :D

The back seats are not really big enough for adults, and I have used them with booster seats. Most of the time I only use 5 seats anyway, as I don't need it for school runs. I have a dog cage taking up half of the boot, which means I can carry 5 children & a dog :D

Milli147
29-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I have a 7 seater X5 (aka Bling Bus) and it is the least practical car on the planet for childminding but I'm not giving it up! I had it before minding and it is my dream car...BUT, tax and insurance cost a fortune, petrol £120 a tank, 4 new tyres £1200, :laughing: I can't even think about it!
On the plus side (I'm sure there must be one!) oh, yes, mindees parents love it cos it's very safe....ummm what else? I can fit a double 3 wheeler in the boot...if I only put one of the back seats up! Ha ha, it's such a rubbish car for minding - don't get one!:laughing:

Chell
31-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Are the Scenic 7 seaters all the same size? I saw one today and I'm sure the boot was smaller than the one I saw at the car dealers the other day. Can you move the very back seats or are they in a fixed position?

Carls
31-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Ive ha a Sedona which was really roomy and lovely, I have had a C8 which we had nothing but vtroubl with because it is all electronic and kept going wrong and now I have A Transportot and it is the best thing in te whole wide world and I love it so much! It also has 9 seats which is just fab!:clapping: :clapping:

ajs
31-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Gosh yes that would be weird- between you and the door? I would catch my massive bum on it!

it's not a handle like we are used to but a pull type thing on the dashboard, with the scenic it is automatic so youonly need to pull it if you're on a hill or to stop yourself rolling

nic t
31-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I love my Mazda 5!

Not a fan of driving and parking big cars so this is perfect for me.

Does have a small boot space but I can fit my double buggy in it.

Middle seat not big enough for a booster with car seats either side but not a problem for me with a very tall 10 year old son who sits in that seat!

LOOPYLISA
31-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi

Jealous much :thumbsup: :p

MaryMary
31-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Are the Scenic 7 seaters all the same size? I saw one today and I'm sure the boot was smaller than the one I saw at the car dealers the other day. Can you move the very back seats or are they in a fixed position?

As far as I know the Grand Scenics are all the same size (they are the 7 seaters). The Renault Espace is bigger - more like a Galaxy - and the seats are suitable for adults.

The seats in the grand scenic fold down flat. So when it is a 5 seater, it is just like an esate car. I like this because I don't have a garage or anywhere else that i could store the seats if they had to be removed completely (like the galaxy/espace)

miss mopple
31-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a Toyota Verso, which is fine for me but has naff all boot space with all 7 seats in use. I'll use a top box in the summer for the extra baggage :thumbsup:

I do miss my Previa but couldnt justify the running costs for how little I was using it :(

steveschildmind
31-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I have a Nissan Elgrand.

8 seater with sliding door. The rear seats fold up to the side to create a larger boot, still plenty of space with all the seats in use.

Cons: Thirsty! I have the petrol engine which does about 20MPG, the diesel is better but still not the best.

SamBaker
01-04-2011, 05:42 AM
I have a Nissan Elgrand.

8 seater with sliding door. The rear seats fold up to the side to create a larger boot, still plenty of space with all the seats in use.

Cons: Thirsty! I have the petrol engine which does about 20MPG, the diesel is better but still not the best.

I've just bought one of these too!!! I love mine. The other day I got my huge double buggy and my graco single buggy in the boot with all seats up ( I use the car as storage). The kids love it cos they think it looks like the A.Team van! It is a dream to drive. I have a deisel which is a bit juicy, but not too bad really but it is a 3litre engine! lol! I try not to drive too much through the week so it's a fitness aid too cos I walk more :laughing:
Oh and did I say I LOVE MY NEW CAR!!! :laughing:

mufftie
01-04-2011, 12:24 PM
I really don't like people carriers I had a chrysler voyager for 2 yrs and hated it ,made me feel very middle aged dull and boring ,and in the end it was costing me money as I was turning away work due to lack of seats (having 5 of my own) 7 seats wernt enough
So I went and bought my 12 seater landrover defender , it's fab I no longer feel old and on the weekend it turns into a toy as I love extreme of
Roading

It's also v cheap to insure as it's classes as an agricultural vehicle

Lincsminder
01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
we've just bought a tourneo - its a ford transit van with 8 seats and windows etc all round. it has a HUGE boot - 6 FULL SIZED seats with 3pt. seat belts in both rows and its a doddle to drive, cheap to repair as transits are ten a penny - and my insurance was only £300 for the year with direct line :thumbsup:

cheap to repair lol
My engine broke only 1 week after a MOT and a service that it flew though. 3 months later I still have no car because it was going to cost over £5000 to have a new engine fitted. We finialy found some one in Wales that would do it for £2500 but that was 4 weeks ago and they haven't finished it yet.

Edited to add that despite the costly new engine I do love it and can't wait to get it back. It is so roomy and the boot is massive.

NI MINDER
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
We have a 7 seater toyota corolla verso - fantastic car - big enough for mindees without feeling like a boat! - The two back seats fold away really easily for our family weekend jaunts but are big enough to hold the two youngest mindees car seats.