PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivities

Adiamond
28-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Mindee came this morning and I noticed his eyes where really small!!! He just looked tired, he went down for his nap at 10.30am and has JUST woken up :eek:

He couldn't open one of his eyes it was all stuck together and gunky :(
I have wiped it with cool boiled water and cleared it up but it is runny and not looking very nice at all!!! I am pretty sure it is conjunctivities, am I right in thinking that we don't have to exclude for this? would you let mum know your findings or wait until pick up at 5pm?

Just one problem though, 3 years ago my dd got conjunctivities which she was given drops for which she had an allergy which then made her eyes soooo sensitive she had photosensitivity and was rushed to the eye hospital and put on steroids which has left her with scarring on her eyes :( and I don't want to risk this happening to her again!!!

If it is conjunctivities would you exclude for this reason anyway???? x

rickysmiths
28-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't. Doctors now are very reluctant to give eye drops or cream for a least 3 days because it has been shown to clear up on its own in that time more often than not.

tashaleee
28-03-2011, 01:41 PM
I actually would exclude (due to similar issues as yourself within my own family) and I have a policy in place that all parents are aware of and agree to before starting with me. You dont say how old mindee is but im guessing he is young and therefore it will be highly contagious for everyone else :thumbsup:

Adiamond
28-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks mindee is 17 months so his hands are everywhere at the minute!! x

Goatgirl
28-03-2011, 03:45 PM
H :),
Yes I agree: its up to you and as this is potentially dangerous for your daughter I'd exclued until its completely gone (all symptoms).

I exclude because I get uveitis perodically, an eye inflammation which needs to be treated with steroids and leaves (usually slight) damage each time I get it.
Any type of infection would probably be a trigger to an attack and also seriously compromise the effectiveness of treatment, so I daren't risk it. I once took the advice of the gp to 'come back if it get worse' and ended up having to have steroids directly into my eyeball and was blind in that eye for 6 weeks. Scared the daylights outta me !:panic: I go straight to the hospital now.

Don't take any chances with your daughter's health.

Hope Mum takes the news well :)

bws,
Wendy :)

alwaysright
28-03-2011, 04:18 PM
yes i exclude as well, i have had conjuctivitis off a minded child and dont want it again! its down to personnal decision as according to the dept of health poster there is no need! obviously written by someone without children......

alwaysright
28-03-2011, 04:35 PM
sorry i meant health protection agency poster :blush:

Alibali
28-03-2011, 04:38 PM
My 16 month old mindee came with it on Monday, I did not exclude, then on Thursday my ds couldn't open his eyes and had it really bad, got sent home from school as he was so uncomfortable, I WILL exclude from now on.

Adiamond
28-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks everyone, I text mum to let her know my findings at 2.45pm no reply, she came to collect lo at 5pm I asked if she had got my text she said oh no I haven't had my phone with me :eek: :eek:
I said that I thought lo had got conjunctivities and could she go and get him checked out, she said ok bye!!!!!!!! I haven't heard anything from her but I bet you I see lo back here in the morning.

Now my question is what do I say in the morning if he arrives??? x

Gizmo
28-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I have one off this week with it, mum text to see if I was ok putting drops in and I told her she couldnt bring him, 1st time I have done this and I felt guilty but he puts everything in his mouth :panic:
jessiebessie I would text mum tonight and tell her not to bring lo tomorrow

Adiamond
29-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Arghhhhh!!!! he has just arrived with his sticky eye, his grandparents bring him so I asked if he had been to the docs and he said yes he has got a slight virul infection in his eye, I said is it conjunctivities he said oh no just an infection I went on to explain that I cannot risk my daughter getting he said oh no it's not that there are some drops in his bag (brolene what my dd had the first allergic reaction to) I then asked again if it definatley wasn't conjunctivities he still said it wasn't!!!

I am 99.9% sure it is but what can I do? he is here until tea time again today!!!

I This is part of this job that I hate :angry: :angry:

Dragonfly
29-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I had one the other week whos parent said it wasnt conjuntivitis on arriving, and hour later eyes streaming with gunck and when awaking from a sleep stuck together:eek: also pink and itchy def conjuntivitis.Luckily we didnt all go down with it this time.I can understand people excluding little ones for a couple of days.

Goatgirl
29-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi :),
I'd have called to see how the appointment went last night and said to parent that you can't accept him until his eyes are free of infection. i.e. no symptoms at all.
Now that he's there though, I guess all you can do is ring mum to collect, or wait till she comes later and tell her then, being very careful about anti bac - ing anything he touches, hands regularly etc and keeping his contact with your daughter and any other mindees to a minimum.

I don't think the name of it is the issue really. He has sore eyes and you don't want it to spread. Mum doesn't necessarily have to understand why you're doing it, though that would help, but the bottom line is its your business, your setting and YOU make the rules. :thumbsup:

Be firm :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)