PDA

View Full Version : conjuctivitis and HPA guidelines

Starfish007
28-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi all, just a quick question. It states in the Health Protection Agency guidelines that children with conjuctivitis do not have an incubation period, although I think most people think there should be as it is highly infectious.

I'm using the HPA guidelines for parents to use as guide, should I write it into my sickness policy that I do not accept children with eye infections? What does everybody else do?

I just want to be prepared incase parents question the guidelines and me not using them accordingly.

tashaleee
28-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a separate policy just for conjunctivitis which clearly states that I do not accept any child aged under 5 with this as it is so highly contagious and all parents are made aware of this... never had any problems and have excluded children with it fine :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
28-03-2011, 02:03 PM
presume you mean exclusion period rather than incubation period :) they are guidelines - and all settings interpret and implement them differently because at the end of the day your business your rules.

for example sons primary do not exclude
secondary do for 48hrs following the start of treatment
my friends nursery - exclude until the condition is completely cleard
I exclude for 48hrs following start of treatment

each to their own

Starfish007
28-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Thats great thanks, I love this form x

miffy
28-03-2011, 04:39 PM
It is up to you whether you decide to exclude or not just make sure that parents are aware of your policy on this.

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
28-03-2011, 04:58 PM
I exclude because I'm allergic to the antibiotics they use to treat it so don't want to take the risk of catching it.

karensmart4
28-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I have it in my policies that I exclude.

When I worked in a nursery there was no exclusion for eye infections and it spread like you would never believe, the manager said it wasn't infectious, I said it may not be but it's definatly transferable!!!!!!! We had many a debate over it :eek: :eek:

Mookins
25-05-2011, 04:57 PM
just sent little one home with suspected onjunctivitis shes gonna go to drs in the morning and ring me to let me know...she said heself if it is she isnt touching him os she always catches it...she better not think im having him either cos i was always getting as a youngster:( !!!

TRACEY1969
26-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi all, just a quick question. It states in the Health Protection Agency guidelines that children with conjuctivitis do not have an incubation period, although I think most people think there should be as it is highly infectious.

I'm using the HPA guidelines for parents to use as guide, should I write it into my sickness policy that I do not accept children with eye infections? What does everybody else do?

I just want to be prepared incase parents question the guidelines and me not using them accordingly.

i was told by my Do that i wasn't allowed to exclude children from my setting so when a mindee turned up with it 5 days later i caught it and i was really bad couldn't drive so now i have done a policy on it 48hrs exclusion period. If you do except you have to wash all your toys and do a risk assessment to show this. More paper work no thanks.