PDA

View Full Version : Directgov to take off childminders contact detials

noble76
28-03-2011, 08:58 AM
On Thursday 31st March Directgov will remove all childminders contact details from their site. Parents will have to go through a local central point, usually the Family Information Service (FIS) to gain childminders contact details.

Is this good news for childminders?

In the age of a now society how will this affect childminders gaining work? When parents are looking for child care options during evenings and weekends will the removal of these contact details from the internet help or hinder childminders? For those of you who remember the old *************.co.uk site where it operated a map where parents could search all the childcare available to them in any area across the country in a very quick and easy way. It must seem like taking a big step backwards.

The decision has been made, what now?

Perhaps now is the time to start being more proactive in gaining work for your setting. There are a number of ways that childminders can do this.

Postcards and business cards.

Having some good quality postcards printed and disturbing them around your local area in shop windows, doctors surgeries and libraries can prove very useful. You will be surprised the affect it will have on gaining work as it then becomes very easy for parents to contact you as your details are right there. Get some business cards printed at the same time to carry in your bag and be able to hand out if needed.
You can now get printing very cheaply on the internet, you could probable get 50 postcards and some business cards for as little as £20. Some companies even have templates to choose from. One such site is Vista Print.

Local directories and magazines.

Another consideration is advertising in your local directories or magazines. Although this will be a bigger outlay than printing you need to look at it as an investment. If you want to fill full time vacancies that may be worth between £500 and £800 every month spending £100 and £200 on an advert might proof to be money well spent, especially if you are gaining a baby that you will have for 3 or 4 years. Remember you can claim everything you spend on advertising.

Facebook

Have you ever considered how Facebook could help you gain work? Facebook may proof to be just the answer to filling vacancies. You can set up a page for your business this will be linked to your profile and then run an advert advertising your child care service in your area. The fantastic thing about this is that you can set your budget so you can run the advert every at a set time each week (Sunday evenings are a good one) and select for it to appear on profiles in your area. You can set a budget of as little as £10. This will then appear when prospective parents are logged into Facebook. When they click on the advert it can go straight to your website if you have one or your Facebook page. This is a lot easier than you may think, and our team at Noble Minder will gladly help you.

Bananabrain
28-03-2011, 10:01 AM
The old system was fair to childminders and convenient for parents.
The Direct.gov thing was a pigs ear from the start.
The 'government' are fools and I should be Prime Minister!

Pauline
28-03-2011, 10:18 AM
You can now get printing very cheaply on the internet, you could probable get 50 postcards and some business cards for as little as £20. Some companies even have templates to choose from. One such site is Vista Print.

If you do use Vista Print please consider using the Forum link to them as it helps with Forum running costs: http://www.childmindingforum.co.uk/helptheforum.html :thumbsup:

Sleeping Baby
28-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Could not agree more.

onceinabluemoon
28-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Exactly!

When my details were only on the Gov.uk site I didn't get a single phone call for work!!! When I checked it out I found parents were given people's details that leave ten miles away BEFORE they were given mine when searching for my postcode - unbelievable!

Now we are back on the FIS website I am getting work again.

I know which one I'd rather be on. :clapping:

Give Louise chance to be prime minister, she cant do a worse job and may well do better...

donnamarie2
28-03-2011, 11:25 AM
On Thursday 31st March Directgov will remove all childminders contact details from their site. Parents will have to go through a local central point, usually the Family Information Service (FIS) to gain childminders contact details.

In the age of a now society how will this affect childminders gaining work? When parents are looking for child care options during evenings and weekends will the removal of these contact details from the internet help or hinder childminders? For those of you who remember the old *************.co.uk site where it operated a map where parents could search all the childcare available to them in any area across the country in a very quick and easy way. It must seem like taking a big step backwards.

Perhaps now is the time to start being more proactive in gaining work for your setting. There are a number of ways that childminders can do this.

Having some good quality postcards printed and disturbing them around your local area in shop windows, doctors surgeries and libraries can prove very useful. You will be surprised the affect it will have on gaining work as it then becomes very easy for parents to contact you as your details are right there. Get some business cards printed at the same time to carry in your bag and be able to hand out if needed.

Another consideration is advertising in your local directories or magazines. Although this will be a bigger outlay than printing you need to look at it as an investment. If you want to fill full time vacancies that may be worth between £500 and £800 every month spending £100 and £200 on an advert might proof to be money well spent, especially if you are gaining a baby that you will have for 3 or 4 years. Remember you can claim everything you spend on advertising.

Facebook
considered how Facebook could help you gain work?
Have you ever Facebook may proof to be just the answer to filling vacancies. You can set up a page for your business this will be linked to your profile and then run an advert advertising your child care service in your area. The fantastic thing about this is that you can set your budget so you can run the advert every at a set time each week (Sunday evenings are a good one) and select for it to appear on profiles in your area. You can set a budget of as little as £10. This will then appear when prospective parents are logged into Facebook. When they click on the advert it can go straight to your website if you have one or your Facebook page. This is a lot easier than you may think, and our team at Noble Minder will gladly help you.

I'm not great at this stuff, how do you advertise on face book?

georgie456
28-03-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the removal of this website affecting my business because it never gave me any in the first place!
It was a complete waste of public money and to now just shelve it and waste a bit more money makes me SO cross!! What a waste of time! Hopefully now it's gone, I will now start getting some calls again.

berkschick
28-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Our council are going back to the old system.

The gov one was rubbish!

rickysmiths
28-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Facebook

Have you ever considered how Facebook could help you gain work? Facebook may proof to be just the answer to filling vacancies. You can set up a page for your business this will be linked to your profile and then run an advert advertising your child care service in your area. The fantastic thing about this is that you can set your budget so you can run the advert every at a set time each week (Sunday evenings are a good one) and select for it to appear on profiles in your area. You can set a budget of as little as £10. This will then appear when prospective parents are logged into Facebook. When they click on the advert it can go straight to your website if you have one or your Facebook page. This is a lot easier than you may think, and our team at Noble Minder will gladly help you.

They were actually taken off at 5.30pm on Friday 25th March!

TheBTeam
28-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I have tried to find out from the CDO what is happening instead, but they are none the wiser!

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I have had a letter today regarding this as we are going back to the old system

If parents want help and go to the site then they will be forwarded on to the relevent council

alwaysright
28-03-2011, 04:40 PM
yey goodbye and good riddance!! its been a pain in the bum since they spent all them thousands and thousands setting it up!! now they say well actually it doesnt work lets go back to the old way that worked fine!!! unbelievable :angry:
since this stupid system came into place i havent had one single enquiry yet used to get them from childcare link when it was sooo easy to find a minder in your area!! they also had lots of peoples personal details on there that shouldnt have been, my home number was on there, and i was told "we cant take it off....."
glad its going :jump for joy:

miffy
28-03-2011, 04:46 PM
The directgov site was a bit of a lottery anyway - sometimes my details were there and sometimes they weren't :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I never needed to rely on it for work!

Miffy xx

venus89
28-03-2011, 04:58 PM
However, it might have been nice of them to tell us. Or to tell us beforehand, at least....

noble76
28-03-2011, 05:07 PM

Ah sorry I was in there Wednesday last week and they still had the date as 31st March. I wonder why that was?

Sorry to have mislead you on the date.

noble76
28-03-2011, 05:08 PM
If you do use Vista Print please consider using the Forum link to them as it helps with Forum running costs: http://www.childmindingforum.co.uk/helptheforum.html :thumbsup:

Even more reason to get some done. :thumbsup:

noble76
28-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not great at this stuff, how do you advertise on face book?

If you want I would be more than happy to spend 15 minutes on the phone goign over this with you.

Let me know.

Thanks

Lisa

Alibali
28-03-2011, 05:53 PM
It'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference or not.

rickysmiths
28-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I have tried to find out from the CDO what is happening instead, but they are none the wiser!

When I put in my post code now it refers me to the Council Offices in my local town? I didn't have time today to ring them and ask if they had Cm details. Somehow I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Minstrel
28-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Ah sorry I was in there Wednesday last week and they still had the date as 31st March. I wonder why that was?

Sorry to have mislead you on the date.

I am in the same borough as you Lisa and ours is still live with the closure date of 31st March so you're not going mad!

Splodge
28-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm in Yorkshire and i have just checked and i am still on. Unfortunately nobody would choose me based on their description as i am described as living 7 miles away from the small village i live in.

7 miles away is the next county :huh:

Pauline
28-03-2011, 08:59 PM
However, it might have been nice of them to tell us. Or to tell us beforehand, at least....

I did put a post on a few months ago, you missed it :D

tulip0803
28-03-2011, 09:18 PM
In Wales it stayed the old way and if you searched the direct.gov site it referred you to the local FIS for the Welsh county.

It has only been the last 18 months that the FIS has gone on line in this county :rolleyes: before that it was the good old telephone but they never advertised that they held the childcare numbers:( . But they do change info quick if you need too:) .

noble76
28-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I am in the same borough as you Lisa and ours is still live with the closure date of 31st March so you're not going mad!

So it is, that's good thank you for looking. Sometimes it seems that all information mereges into one.

So even more confusing it looks like it is different all over the country which is funny as it is a central goverment site. HHmmm.

Whereever you are just ensure you have checked how prospective parents will get your details.

rickysmiths
29-03-2011, 08:48 AM
That seems very unfair to me. If it is a Govenment site why not close everyone on 25th not just a chosen few? I am gutted because it was my main sourse of work and always has been going back to Fis days. :panic:

loocyloo
29-03-2011, 11:22 PM
my details were always wrong on the direct gov site (when they were there!)

our FIS ( or whatever it is now called :rolleyes: ) have had their website back up & running ofr the past year or so i think ... i had to contact them several times as my details were wrong, then not there etc. once i was on the phone as my details weren't there ... and the lady was saying 'yes they are' and suddenly, lo & behold, they appeared in front of my eyes! :rolleyes:

we're moving away, so i rang yesterday to ask them to remove me from the website/list ... oh no, they can't do that, not until ofsted tell them i'm not minding anymore. i said i am still going to mind, but moving 260 miles away. nope, can't do a thing till ofsted tell them! that explains the huge numbers of childminders listed who don't childmind anymore/have moved etc and are still listed!!! grrrr

i did find someone else to phone direct who removed me from the website, but can't do anything about the 'main database' as that is down to ofsted !!!