PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about childminding - lots of questions!

poppy5
28-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi, I've just registered as I've spent all weekend reading the forum and have already found some excellent tips and advice, but I wanted to ask some specific questions related to my circumstances if I may. I have to say this website is fantastic, and there are so many helpful people about, so I have high hopes! :laughing:

Bit about me, I am 41 and work full time as a personal assistant in the NHS and I do enjoy my job, but as with all public sector jobs, there are lots of reviews going on and rumours of down grading jobs, and if this happens I would not be happy to carry on in the role I am doing for thousands of pounds less than I currently bring home! I also have five children, one has left home and lives in a flat, and the other children are 13, 10, but I have two young children, my son will be 3 in June and my daughter is 11 weeks old. I am currently on maternity leave. I am thinking of becoming a registered childminder, with the view to possibly starting within 12 months or so - I have to go back to work for three months to pay back maternity leave, so there is no rush for me to start. So my questions:

I currently bring home about £1300 a month - because I have two young children this would heavily affect my earning ability I would have thought because they would be counted in the numbers of under 5's. Would I be likely to be able to earn a decent amount of money? I live near a hospital and would be happy to accomodate shift workers by working unsocial hours, so I thought this might help. If I go back to work full time, my child care costs would be in the region of £150 - £200 a week, which I would obviously be saving.

In the current climate are people more or less likely to use childminders? I would have thought more likely as it is a slightly cheaper childcare option? Is there much work out there to fill vacancies?

I have a school near me that I would pick and drop off from, but they do have breakfast club - would this affect being able to offer care to school age children - of which I would need a number of I would have thought, as I couldn't earn much with my being able to have only one under 5? I just think this might limit the number of people wanting childminders as afterschool care is relatively cheap and convenient.

How do I find out how business is for local childminders, short of ringing them?? I know there are at least two childminders within a mile of me, one I know very well as I used her briefly for my 3 year old, who is literally round the corner from me, so I don't want to ask her as I would be working in competition!

If I had an assistant, could this be my mother, who is retired? Would this increase the number of mindees I could have? I do have a large-ish detached house and we would probably convert the loft to a bedroom, which would then enable me to have a large front room and an extension downstairs for the business, which are linked by a door, which can enable me to shut off the extension so the children would be able to sleep in there. There is a downstairs toilet/sink in the extension and a door through to the back garden which is a good size and which I would do more work on to extend the play area and include soft play area, sandpit, etc. The set up is ideal as I am not having to go upstairs and leave children alone, and I also can shut off my family lounge and keep it all seperate.

Sorry for the huge post - that is all I can think of for now - I am going to ring the helpline later to find out more relevant to my area, but I think this would be an ideal time to get the ball rolling while I am on mat leave, as I have time to do courses, etc.

Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can offer! :thumbsup:

sarah707
28-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I currently bring home about £1300 a month - because I have two young children this would heavily affect my earning ability I would have thought because they would be counted in the numbers of under 5's. Would I be likely to be able to earn a decent amount of money? I live near a hospital and would be happy to accomodate shift workers by working unsocial hours, so I thought this might help. If I go back to work full time, my child care costs would be in the region of £150 - £200 a week, which I would obviously be saving.

You need to work out local prices first... plus your 2 children under 5 will mean you can only take 1 more early years child.

Before / after schoolers do not tend to bring in a lot of money as there are after school clubs which are often subsidised and very cheap.

Again I suggest you do some local homework.

In the current climate are people more or less likely to use childminders? I would have thought more likely as it is a slightly cheaper childcare option? Is there much work out there to fill vacancies?

Depends where you live - ring a few childminders and ask them if they have vacancies.

Do be honest though it's better to know that someone is picking your brains rather than get excited thinking you might fill a space!

I have a school near me that I would pick and drop off from, but they do have breakfast club - would this affect being able to offer care to school age children - of which I would need a number of I would have thought, as I couldn't earn much with my being able to have only one under 5? I just think this might limit the number of people wanting childminders as afterschool care is relatively cheap and convenient.

Some children / parents prefer childminders to clubs... is the club full? Are the childminders locally busy?

How do I find out how business is for local childminders, short of ringing them?? I know there are at least two childminders within a mile of me, one I know very well as I used her briefly for my 3 year old, who is literally round the corner from me, so I don't want to ask her as I would be working in competition!

Ring them.You will need the local contacts if you do decide to register.

If they are worried about competition that speaks volumes about the limited phone calls they are getting.

If I had an assistant, could this be my mother, who is retired? Would this increase the number of mindees I could have?

Yes it could be your mother but it doesn't automatically increase your numbers and you might ahve to consider getting planning permission.

Ring your council for more information.

Thank you so much in advance for any insight you can offer! :thumbsup:

I hope that starts you off! Good luck... don't forget to let us know how you get on :D

mama2three
28-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Do you currently get help with your chiuldcare costs - if not it looks like you need to earn £500 a month to match your current income. Depending on local vacancies etc it is definately possible to earn this sum per month - through full or a mix of part time children.

poppy5
28-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks Sarah for my first really helpful reply!!

I've phoned and spoken to the Childcare Support Officer today, and she has booked me on the pre registration course for October, and put me on a reserve list for June, in case anyone drops out.

I'll do a lot more homework in the meantime. I think by the time that I come to do it properly it would be about 12 months from now, which means that I would have a 14 month old and a nearly 4 year old, which might make a difference. I have to go back to work in September for at least 3 months anyway, so I am in no rush.

If I do come to do it, I can also do some temping as a secretary, so this would take some pressure off having to bring in so much money when I first started.

I will contact the childminder that I know locally. I never thought of the fact that if they are bothered about competition means that there isn't enough business to go around! I would definitely not pose as a prospective parent though, that would be out of order, I agree!!

Thanks again!

poppy5
28-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Wow, thanks for that - we do get a small amount of child tax credits, but I have only just started claiming this properly, and they have been paying me some money they backdated. I think our income is too high to get much from them though, so I would say no, we don't get help with childcare currently, so that £500 certainly sounds doable!!!

Ooh, I'm getting excited as I think that it might be possible and will allow me to watch my children growing, as I missed the older ones due to work committments.

Thank you so much for your replies!!