PDA

View Full Version : Vomiting-should child be sent home?

Starfish007
27-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi all, I'm sure this has been discussed before but can't find a similar thread.

Parent brought 20 month old this week, said he had been sick and not eaten but seems fine, no mention of contacting him if child is sick again or any concerns about child. Child seemed fine until he was sick at around 2pm, loads of it!

I sent text to both parents explaining that lo had been sick, looks pasty but seems ok, they text back saying ok and picked hm up at usual time of 6.15 (although they were both off work that day).

If the lo was not his usual jolly self or kept on vomiting I would of asked parents to collect.

What bothers me is the lack of concern by parents, but the reason I'm posting is to find out whether or not you would of kept child in your care if they have vomited or sent them home even though they seem ok?

thanks for reading, any advice much appreciated

onceinabluemoon
27-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I would say yes, generally speaking if a child is being sick they should be sent home

babs
27-03-2011, 07:58 PM
if he had been sick i wouldn't of accepted him into my care as i have other children to safe guard.. if he had been sick in my care i would of asked parents to collect asap and if they could not i would of explained about other children and ask if someone else cud pick up...

Gizmo
27-03-2011, 07:59 PM
if lo had been sick then fine I would have kept them but let parents know. My dd went thru a spell of being sick for no apparent reason and she was always fine before and after

Pipsqueak
27-03-2011, 08:02 PM
i would not have accepted the child in the first place.

HPA recommendations says 48hrs of S&D from the LAST BOUT of
This protects you (from losing lots of income), your own family, and other children in your care - preventing the spread of illness

Lay the law down to parents : you sickness policy and also about being contactable and collecting if you say so - not when they say so

Princess Sara
27-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Any sickness or diarrhoea (sp?) and my parents get a text to say come and pick up asap please.

Pretty much any other illness and I'd be happy to keep them if they were well in themselves, but sickness and diarrhoea is a health and safety no-no for workplaces, including childcare settings. You have to send them home and they cannot return for 48 hours. (Some places say 24 but HSE recommend 48 hours).

Starfish007
27-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Sounds like I'm being too soft and daft! When he came for child I explained about poor little one being sick and he just said "oh, theres nothing wrong with him, he's fine".

I just wondered if lo's could be sick for no particular reason as he seemed fine after.

Think I need to rethink!

Thanks for advice

Zoomie
27-03-2011, 08:23 PM
My DD was sick 2x on saturday afternoon.

i adhere strickly to my 48h rule and have told all my parents that i am closed tomorrow.

DD has been absolutely fine since the second time, but rules are rules and if I expect my parents to obey them, then so do I.

(DD and I will have some lovely 'girl' time together tomorrow :D )

keatingschick
27-03-2011, 08:28 PM
My parents get copy of sickenss policy, plus HPA guidelines on exclusions, which state 48 hours after last dia-wotsits (can never spell that) or vomitting.

If parents have said he had vomitting I wouldnt allow him to stay and would tell them 48 hours from when he was last sick or if he was sick I'd call them and send him home and then tell them he couldnt return for 48 hours. My daughter is diabetic and catches EVERYTHING and then I am up all night checking her blood sugars every 3 hours and possibly injecting every 4 hours, so I dont take any chances.

Starfish007
27-03-2011, 08:37 PM
HI, its me again! A different parent had a lo that was sick several times when she coughed a lot but was fine in herself, didnt happen with me but at home. Would you still say 48 hours without sickness before returning?

Pipsqueak
27-03-2011, 08:39 PM
yes

I think sometimes common sense has to prevail such as a coughing fit causing upchuck or a child who eats tons and then goes on the trampoline or gets really excited.... however in the main upchuck is a 48hr exclusion from the last bout

Zoomie
27-03-2011, 08:43 PM
HI, its me again! A different parent had a lo that was sick several times when she coughed a lot but was fine in herself, didnt happen with me but at home. Would you still say 48 hours without sickness before returning?

I think the only times I would overlook vomiting is:

* baby bringing up milk after a feed (because of wind)
* child vomits a very little up because they are very upset and crying (and i know why they are upset).

but my general consensus is that you don't vomit unless something is wrong and I DO NOT believe that children vomit because they are teething :angry: (my pet hate - blaming teething).

venus89
27-03-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree with the above - if there's a cause for it that's obviously not illness (eg coughing, I nearly coughed myself sick last night and I don't get sick, only thrown up once in the last 17 years....) then fair enough if they're ok. But if they were sick that morning then again there's obviously a reason and if I knew they'd been sick that morning then I wouldn't have them that day.

I have to say, though, that my dd was had a tummy upset on Friday morning and I gave them the choice of whether or not to bring their children in based on the fact that my dd wasn't well. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite?

Starfish007
27-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I thought that if lo's vomited then they should be sent home but I mentioned that lo was sick when coughing to another cm and she said that its quite common for them to vomit when they have a coughing fit, not just a little bit and just the once but several times throughout the day!

I think two particular set of parents of mine would be v unhappy if I asked them to collect if child was sick when coughing and was absolutely fine in themselves.

Am I worrying too much? Has anyone else had lo's that vomit when coughing?

Pipsqueak
27-03-2011, 08:54 PM
As far as I am aware its not 'common' for kids to vomit when coughing. It can and does happen of course but I have been minding for 7 plus years, have 3 kids of my own and have looked after countless other children, friends kids, nephews, neighbours kids, in a kindergarten and nursery etc.

Tough to the parents not being happy at having to collect their child.

You are a minder not a nurse.

Are these same parents going to pay you when you and yours come down ill?
Are they going to thank you when you are closed because you are poorly?

Starfish007
27-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I reckon I need to toughen up and follow my own instinct.

Thanks for all your quick replies

Pipsqueak
27-03-2011, 08:58 PM
We live and learn hun:D

download the HPA advice and formulate a new sickness policy and hand out to parents

rickysmiths
27-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree with Pip. If they are sick its 48hrs. I wouldn't have taken the child. As soon as they were sick though parents come and collect. :thumbsup:

mushpea
28-03-2011, 05:58 AM
I looked after a child full time who could make himselfsick when he wanted just so he could go home,, i never used to send him home unless he was obviously unwell with it, I now have him in the hols only and just before christmas he made himself sick befor he came to me,, parent it was due to a youghut he hadnt really wanted, 2 days later myson was ill and it was christmas day too so never again will I keep/acept this child or any other child if they have been sick, i realised on reflection that I am not a doctor so cannot possibly know if the child has made himself sick or is ill,,, they will be sent home and I will not accept them till 48hrs after the las bout of illness ,,, trouble is we then have to trust the parent to tell us when the last bout was.

mama2three
28-03-2011, 06:43 AM
As for the coughing / vomiting - I would be permanently closed as this is something I do if I ever have catarrh , which is fairly regular with all the colds and coughs we get. ( something to do with my gag reflex!:blush: )
Sometimes you have to use your judgement - but have a strong policy in place and stick to it the majority of the time. as others have said you need to protect yourself and other children in your care from the host of illnesses that whizz round.

miffy
28-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Unless you knew for sure the reason for being sick was coughing then I wouldn't have taken lo and excluded for 48hours.

It would have narked me that parents were off and still sent him even though he'd been sick!

Miffy xx

Polly2
28-03-2011, 07:29 AM
I absolutely agree with pips advice and have implemented the 48 hr rule many times.

One time however it did turn out that child was car sick. She rushed her breaky to come to me and then chucked in car. It happened every time she came and we realised what it was.

Parent was fine about the 48 hour rule - totally understood that until we realised what it was I had to do this to protect other families and my own.

Once we realised she just had breakfast at mine and was fine :thumbsup:

Starfish007
28-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Just nipped on to say I've explained to parents this morning about guidelines and the 48 hr period, Mum was fine with it and was quite apologetic, said I will amend my policies this week for them to sign.

As it happens lo was sick for two more days (thurs & fri) when at home and parents also got it, thank goodness the rest of us are ok!

Thanks for all your advice, this childminding lark is a constant learning process!

alwaysright
28-03-2011, 04:49 PM
i would definately send them home but i would ring them not txt, its too easy to say oh sorry didnt get your txt.........not......