PDA

View Full Version : what would you do????

shmuck9681
27-03-2011, 04:10 PM
I had a mum come yesterday to look about and introduce her son to me he is 10 he was fine settled straight in and she took the place and is calling tomorrow to sign contracts etc....
problem being I was put on the spot yesterday when she come, as she asked if he could walk home alone sometimes @ 6pm rather than her collecting as she has a 2 yo and a baby due in 5 weeks and it might prove a little difficult coming to collect on time, she would ring when to send him home, (they do only live approx 5 mins walk away and there are no major roads to cross), she want him to start being able to be a bit more independent
are we allowed to allow this to happen??? what would anyone else do in this situation?
thanks

Hebs
27-03-2011, 04:12 PM
:panic:

no i wouldn't allow it :(

sarah707
27-03-2011, 04:24 PM
It depends on your insurance so give them a ring and check first.

However a 10 year old who is going up to high school the next year should, depending on the child, be ready for some independence.

he will be on a tight rope - leaving your house with a phone call and arriving home with another phone call to say he's safe. You could so missed calls do you are not using your credit, answering them only if there's a problem.

He will probably play out at home and have a large degree of independence and this might be mum's compromise with him - go to the childminder's for your tea but you can walk back by yourself because I acknowledge you are big now sort of thing.

Just make sure the ground rules are clearly in place first and parents know exactly where your liability starts and ends.

Hth :D

barbarella68
27-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Of course it's allowed. Mum's ok with it, he is only 5 minutes away. I expect when he goes to big school she will let him walk to school. Just get a letter stating this to cover yourself.

caz3007
27-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I have an independant arrival/departure policy and one of the things it states is that they arent covered by my insurance once they leave me. I get parents to sign when the children get to this stage

gigglinggoblin
27-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Kids are allowed to walk home from our school by themselves once they get to year 5 so I wouldnt have a problem with the safety aspect. Make sure you record the time of the phone call each time mum rings or maybe ask her to call your mobile so you have a record just incase.

Allie
27-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I would get it in writing form the parents that they know you are not responsible for him once he leaves your house and that they are aware he wont be covered under your insurance

Allie

miffy
27-03-2011, 06:03 PM
As the others have said, I would make sure you have it in writing that you are not responsible for him once he has left your home.

Miffy xx

birch24
28-03-2011, 10:48 AM
My daughter was only just 11 when she went to secondary school in september. She had to walk home by herself. It is probably ok in the lighter months but you may have to discuss options with the mum for the months when it is dark at 4.00pm. I did use to go out and get her if it was dark or wet. With regards to permission you will probably have to have it all in a contract type letter.
Maybe you could just send a text when he has left and she could reply by text to let you know he had arrived. I would be happy with that for my dd. As long as you both remembered to text!!
:D