PDA

View Full Version : New puppy....

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm getting a puppy next week. The parents of my mindees have been advised about it and I've added a section to my pet policy about the puppy.

The parents are happy and probably more excited than their children! All my mindees have experience with dogs as both familes have dogs.

I've done a risk assesment and have talked to the children, explaining that the new dog will be very small and might be a bit scared or over excited etc. I've told them what behaviour I expect from them when they get introduced to the puppy and they seem to have taken it in.

The puppy will have a crate in the dining room so she can escape from the children when needed, or I can place her in there if things get too much.

Has anyone got any tips that maybe useful?

Maybe there is something else I need to cover?

:jump for joy:

(I'm a little excited myself!)

Jinx
23-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Oh how exciting....what sort of dog is it?
We have a german shepard/collie cross and he is fantastic with the kids. My older 3 were little when we got him and he was in the room when I had no. 4!!!! (infact, he got more attention from the midwife than I did!)

Sounds like you have it all covered. Think it is really important the dog has somewhere to retreat to if he/she wants to be alone and the crate is a great idea. As long as the kids don't follow him into it!!! :laughing:

Jinx x

SimplyLucy
23-04-2008, 09:52 PM
She is a miniture smooth haired Dachshund (black and tan)........we're calling her Ella.

Jinx
23-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Ahhhh, lovely. My neighbour has 2 standard dachsunds. 1 red and 1 black and tan. The red one is a real red head and can't be let off the lead! He'd kill a rottweiler! (he's got some issues!!!! nothing to do with the breed I don't think, just bad handling!!! Don't tell my neighbour I said that!!!!:panic: ) The black and tan one is lovely. Really laid back and friendly.
My dog is scared of both of them, but then he's a complete wimp! 10yrs old and still peeing like a girl. :laughing:

Jinx x

wendywu
23-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Right Mumof4 we want a photo of her ASAP, she will be so sweet. You dont need a crate for her a shoe box will do:)

angeldelight
23-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I also have a permission forum for parents to sign so they understand that children will be around my pets and that they may sometmes help with feeding etc

If you want to have a look at mine just pm your email I can send it to you its only basic but covers everything I think

Angel xx

hello kitty
24-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Ohh lucky you my hubby promised me a dog for Christmas 2006 but here I am still waiting!! The problem is I don't know how it would fit in with all the minded children and my 6 cats who are indoor cats. I use my kitchen, dining room and conservatory for minding and the cats have use of the utility room and access to outdoor run.

I don't think the dog would have anywhere to hide should it need to.

Oh well maybe one day...

littletreasures
24-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Lucky you. Put some photos on and take lots. They grow quicker than kids!!!

littletreasures

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm going to collect her next wednesday.

I'd add some pictures but I have no idea how to do that, someone will have to give me a lesson!

I already have a crate from when my cat had kittens last year so I haven't had to go and buy anything special.

Right I best work out how to pm, so I can see the permission form!

littlepixies
24-04-2008, 09:46 AM
we got a puppy golden retriever at the begining of the year, had to notify ofsted jsut so it was on their records, and make a pet policy but i can say hes the best thing ever! and well worth the money..... he is great with all the kids and just totally adorable at 6 months now!

cuddlybunny38
24-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Same as littlepixies, notify Ofsted I had a friend a few years back that got a puppy, little dog and cant remeber breed, and when she had her inspection as she hadnt contacted Ofsted they gave her a bit of a telling off. At the time she was very p....d off as she dint know you had to, good luck with the puppy though, i have a dog, 4 cats 3 hermit crabs and we are crab sitting my daughters ones and that is an extra 12 hemit crabs. Did tell ofsted though at my pre reg and inspector was fasicnated

SimplyLucy
25-04-2008, 06:21 AM
I was going to post a picture of Ella but I don't know how to :rolleyes: :blush:

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 04:23 PM
When you reply to a message scroll down and you will see " manage attachments "

Click on that and browse for your pic that is on your computer and wait for it to load

Not very good at explaining so im sure someone else will

Thats how I do it anyway

Angel xx

Mollymop
25-04-2008, 04:43 PM
oh bless! I bet the children will ove to see and play with the new pupy!
Just a tip- watch the puppy around toys and shoes, etc, my dog when he was a pup chewed everything in sight! phew, glad that stage is over with now though!

Alibali
25-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh you lucky thing, a few weeks of toilet training a puppy!!!! Make sure you have plenty of bounty kitchen roll (no other kind will do) anti-bacterial wipes and spray and the pet shops sell a spray to use when they have messed so they don't go back to it again. Also stock up on care mat style pads for pup to toilet on. Lots of things for sharp little teeth to chew on and some earplugs to block out the poor things pining noises when it is left alone at night time!

Enjoy and be sure to let us see pics.

Ali :)

SimplyLucy
25-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not allowed to post attatchments so I can't show off my cute puppy :(

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh yes you will soon be able to though

Keep posting

Anel xx

SimplyLucy
25-04-2008, 05:14 PM
How many posts do I need to be up to so I can post a picture? :crying:

disney
27-04-2008, 03:47 PM
just wanted to say enjoy your new puppy , she sounds really cute . :littleangel: . i have a king charles cavalier , he too has his own crate and my kids love him x