PDA

View Full Version : Advice on part time hours please

hbomb1
23-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

I had a visit from a potential parent today. She is wanting care for her LO from September when mindee starts nursery. Monday to Thursday 11.30 - 14.15. I had planned on charging from 11.15 - when I leave home for school to collect, however having though about this further, should I really be charging from 9.00am when mum drops mindee off at school?

Really don't know what to do. This is my first potential mindee and really want to get it right.

:confused:

sarah707
23-04-2008, 07:54 PM
The way some minders work - if you are responsible for the child, while the child is at nursery, then you should be charging...

The way other minders work - charge from 1115 as that's when you set out to collect.

Your business, your rules. :D

Tickles
23-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah i would charge from the 11.15am, but as previously mentioned, your business, your rules

hbomb1
23-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Sarah. Think I would charge from 11.15 as feel it would be unfair to charge from earlier bearing in mind mum is planning on dropping mindee at school.

I have spent ages deliberating over this and just hope that the mum decides to take up care with me....

:)

Twinkles
23-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Does she want the place from 9am in the nursery holidays ?
If she does I would charge for those hours.

Are you sure you want to tie up a place for such short hours ? Don't know that I would.

hbomb1
24-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I asked about school holidays and mum said she probably would want me to care for mindee then, even though her other children go to grandparents...??

DH asked me the same question about it being short hours, but from Septembeer my DS starts school so even if I took on this mindee I would still have a full time place available.

I still want to have some 'quality' time with my DD who is almost 21 months old, and last time I minded (back in 2005) I took on too much and really hated my time as a CM. This time I want to think carefully and not rush in and so thought this mindee might be good for me as still get Friday's and most of my mornings Mon-Thurs. Potential mindee is so cute and didn't want to go home after only being at my house for 25 mins or so.

avril
24-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I would do what is right for your personal circumstances, need of money and amount of freedom wanted. I started childminding because I love working with children and also because I just had my own baby and I could be at home with him. I only have x1 full timer 8-4 x1 part timer 8-12.30 and x2 after schoolers once a wk 3.30-5.30 and I charge these contracted hrs only
but I do charge 50p an hr more for part time hrs.

Avril x:)

hbomb1
24-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies. :thank you:

I think I will simply charge for the hours that I care for i.e. 11.15-14.15. And then work out separately charges for any holiday care that I may provide.

Having spoken to another childminder when on school run, she informed me that she charges for the hours of care only but if parent is late and care goes into another hour then to round fees off to the nearest hour.

Feel a lot happier now, thanks again.

:)

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Hope it works out Helen

Angel xx

miffy
25-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Good luck with this - hope everything works out for you

miffy xx