PDA

View Full Version : Water temperature ?????

pesky
25-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Hello, just wondered if anyone had been checked on this on their inspection. I had a quick conversation and she had mentioned to me about having the temperature of the water regulated for when children are washing their hands.

I've looked at this on the internet and all guidelines state that water has to be at a certain temperature to prevent legionnaires disease. I just wondered if anyone had come across this.

I'm due my inspection over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Pipsqueak
25-03-2011, 05:44 PM
never come across this - sorry

hopefully someone else can help though:)

sarah707
25-03-2011, 05:50 PM
No I've not heard of water temperature being an issue.

There are different schools of thought anyway - some say it is safest for children to use cold water as it makes no difference to cleanliness but guards against hand eczema or dermatitis because warm water can aggravate skin.

Others say that water needs to be warm to make the soap work efficiently - but then if you use liquid soap it won't make a difference.

Just make sure that you can justify what you already do and risk assess if you feel you need.

Good luck! :D

tulip0803
25-03-2011, 08:09 PM
If you have an immersion tank you can adjust the water temperature so that does not come out scalding. Don't know how to do it as my Dad was a plumber and he has always done it. It is something that CSSIW can ask about.

The local Family Centre has a dial on their boiler that adjusts the temp.

You have to be aware that children will sometimes leave the tap running and the water can heat up too much if there is no temp reducton and a child could put their hands under and scald themselves. I have had the taps left on but normally the cold one:rolleyes: .

rickysmiths
25-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I have mixer taps everywhere and the one in the cloakroom is set so the water comes out warm and it can be left on forever and it won't over heat. Rather it will go cold if it is left on so long that the Mega - flo tank runs out!!

tulip0803
25-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I have mixer taps everywhere and the one in the cloakroom is set so the water comes out warm and it can be left on forever and it won't over heat. Rather it will go cold if it is left on so long that the Mega - flo tank runs out!!

Like that idea - one day when we re-do... :rolleyes:

marlee1986
27-03-2011, 10:46 AM
ive turned mine down on my boiler ive tured it down to 35 degrees it comes out luke warm and doesnt get any hotter if left on too.

my bolier just has a dial on it and i just twist it to set the temp same as my radiators so they are nt hot to touch.

marlee xx

karensmart4
27-03-2011, 06:21 PM
ive turned mine down on my boiler ive tured it down to 35 degrees it comes out luke warm and doesnt get any hotter if left on too.

my bolier just has a dial on it and i just twist it to set the temp same as my radiators so they are nt hot to touch.

marlee xx

Same as :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
27-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Mine is set at 60 degrees as we all have to use the hot water for baths, cleaning, washing up etc

Do you keep it at 35 degrees all day? How do you hygienically wash your own hands whilst cooking or wash dishes etc? Just wondering...

merry
27-03-2011, 08:16 PM

marlee xx

If that's in a combi boiler it's not such a big risk(still a risk though), but if that's in a hot water tank there's a big risk of legionella, in a hot water tank the temp should be set at minimum of 50 degrees, ideally 55.

:)

venus89
27-03-2011, 08:25 PM
We plan to have a look at ours as we were watching a programme the other day where a girl had been having a shower and had an epileptic fit in the shower. I don't know whether it was really hot anyway or if she knocked the temperature as she fell but she got burns all over her body, really horrific ones, and it scared the life out of us because it's an eventuality you just don't think about.....