PDA

View Full Version : If your variation didn't get approved ...

pinkbutterfly
25-03-2011, 01:34 PM
did you get it in writing? I've put a request for variation over 5 weeks ago. I had to chase it up then somebody rang me to tell me it's a 'no'. I said ok I want to appeal as it's in best interest of a child. She said ring 'so and so' and I did explained everything and just said 'I see where you're coming from ... I'll speak to the boss and ring you back' ... that was a week ago. I can't get them to return my calls, had nothing in writing. I want have a chance to formally appeal.
I can't go into to much detail about the variation as it is confidential and I admit not a straightforward case but it just seems that a stupid rule is holding things up.

BuggsieMoo
25-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Id email, call and write about it to them and then when you finally get the chance to appeal you will have everything in writing so to speak to back you up.

onceinabluemoon
25-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I recently applied for a variation that I didn't think I had a cats chance of getting and I was right, they just told me no on the phone. There was never any paperwork about the refusal but that could be because I applied for 2 on one form and was granted the other one...

pinkbutterfly
26-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks for this. Mrs O actually turned up today on my doorstep to talk about the variation (at most inconvenient time as we were just planting in the garden) ... and said that there has been a misunderstanding because somebody in her departament didn't read the form correctly and thought it was for a new child ... and that's why it took so long. She was very apologetic. She said she can't see a reason they would not approve it but needs to double check with the boss ... so fingers crossed.

miffy
26-03-2011, 09:07 AM
:eek: to Ofsted just turning up to discuss variation!

Glad you've got it sorted though.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
26-03-2011, 11:09 AM
I recently applied for a variation that I didn't think I had a cats chance of getting and I was right, they just told me no on the phone. There was never any paperwork about the refusal but that could be because I applied for 2 on one form and was granted the other one...

You should have it in writing and Ofsted have an obligation to do this as you have a right to appeal on every Variation refusal. They should inform you in writing why they have refused the Variation and of the way to appeal and there is a time frame in which you have a right to appeal. There are NO exceptions to this it should happen with EVERY refusal.

There are three ways the process can happen:

1. By letter
2. By phone conference
3. In person at a Panel Meeting

I have done this, requested a Panel meeting which they held near my home (5miles way) in a hotel at the end of the day so it had little impact on my families.. The meeting has to be on 'neutral' territory, it is a Panel of three a Chair who was from Nottingham, the Inspector who has refused the Variation and another Inspector of a similar level in my case they were Area Supervisors.
I appealed a Variation that was refused for new business which I think is silly because what is the difference in taking on a new sibbling and a new child really because sibblings can be like chalk and cheese can't they?
By facing them and being able to discuss the issue I got the Variation and an apology for all the wasted time because it should have been given in the first place.

Now it was a bit daunting to go through but you are allowed to take someone into the meeting with you. I think if more of us did this instead of accepting all the refusals, especially with new business, then it would be a way of making Ofsted sit up and think. These meetings cost a lot of money to set up so the more of us that challenge them the more they will start to think because they have to justify their costs as it is Tax Payers money they are spending.

rickysmiths
26-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for this. Mrs O actually turned up today on my doorstep to talk about the variation (at most inconvenient time as we were just planting in the garden) ... and said that there has been a misunderstanding because somebody in her departament didn't read the form correctly and thought it was for a new child ... and that's why it took so long. She was very apologetic. She said she can't see a reason they would not approve it but needs to double check with the boss ... so fingers crossed.

I hope you invited her through to join in!! Glad it was sorted out and that they apologised as well and so they should.

pinkbutterfly
27-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Let's just say that I'm pretty sure I've cost them more than the £30 I paid last year ... I had them on my doorstep a number of times since I registered mostly because I argued with them over something ... I've probably seen all the inspectors in my area by now lol
Rickysmiths it's interesting what you say about getting a variation for new business. I have to say I've never even considered applying on that basis. Were there special circumstances in your case ... like special needs only you could cater for or something?

muffins
27-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I've had one approved for new business, it was my 1st variation request & didn't even think about it at the time. When you have a parent who has just unexpectedly be given full care of a child crying on the phone about the whole situation you do all you can to help! I did tell Ofsted of the whole situation.

Also had one approved for when an child was leaving to attend nursery & Mum wanted me to care for the new baby. Although the baby was replacing the older sibling it ment I had 2 under 1's. Wasn't sure if this would be approved because it wasn't really for keeping siblings together but more for allowing the parents to use tried & trusted childcare!