PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim for this?

Debster
25-03-2011, 12:03 PM
A fellow childminder told me she claims expenses for hours worked doing paperwork . She said she spends a few hours a week doing paperwork and puts it through her books at 6.00 per hr overtime worked..Can you do this does anyone else claim for hours spent doing paperwork ?and if so what would be a fair amount I bet with my diaries learning journals accounts and planning I work unpaid at least 4 hrs per week:eek:

Deb
25-03-2011, 12:07 PM
No idea, but when I was working less hours with the children I made it up to 40 hours a week with resourcing/planning/admin time. Good idea tho, I'd be interested to see.

Donkey's years ago we had training on these issues, but since I registered this time there hasn't been a sniff about business matters.

MrAnchovy
25-03-2011, 12:18 PM
No you can't do this. The £6 per hour is called 'drawings' and cannot be claimed against tax.

Debster
25-03-2011, 12:54 PM
No you can't do this. The £6 per hour is called 'drawings' and cannot be claimed against tax.

Thanks didn't think you could oh well

Debster
25-03-2011, 12:58 PM
What if I paid someone else to my accounts and help with my paperwork I could put them through as expenses paid though right?

aly
25-03-2011, 01:26 PM
What if I paid someone else to my accounts and help with my paperwork I could put them through as expenses paid though right?

You can claim for claim for accountant fees but i dont think you can pay joe bloggs from down the street to do them...could be wrong though.

christine e
25-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Think I am right in saying that if you only work for example 30 hours a week but spent 10 hours a week doing paperwork/preparation work then you can add the 10 hours to your 30 hours = 40 hours and claim the full one third off heating, 10% water etc etc

Christine

auntym
25-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Christine according to the hmrc course i did on saturday that is correct, if you only work 32 hours for example but spend another 8 hours on obs and setting up etc and paperwork then you can claim the 40hours allowance . this came from a tax advisor from hmrc

MrAnchovy
26-03-2011, 01:49 AM
You can pay more or less anyone to assist you with more or less anything - paperwork, cleaning, cooking, even (if OK with Ofsted) looking after the children!

christine e
26-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Christine according to the hmrc course i did on saturday that is correct, if you only work 32 hours for example but spend another 8 hours on obs and setting up etc and paperwork then you can claim the 40hours allowance . this came from a tax advisor from hmrc

Thanx for confirming

Cx

miffy
26-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Think I am right in saying that if you only work for example 30 hours a week but spent 10 hours a week doing paperwork/preparation work then you can add the 10 hours to your 30 hours = 40 hours and claim the full one third off heating, 10% water etc etc

Christine

I didn't know that - thank you!

Miffy xx

Kes
26-03-2011, 05:43 PM
You can pay more or less anyone to assist you with more or less anything - paperwork, cleaning, cooking, even (if OK with Ofsted) looking after the children!

Does this mean that I can pay my hubby a little bit of money for cutting the grass in the garden and put it through the books? Only its a job that he does for me but he hates doing it.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Does this mean that I can pay my hubby a little bit of money for cutting the grass in the garden and put it through the books? Only its a job that he does for me but he hates doing it.

yes but he will have to declare it and pay tax if he has another job

acorns
26-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Does anyone know how & where I should record the time spent on paperwork etc if adding this onto minded hours?

aly
26-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Does anyone know how & where I should record the time spent on paperwork etc if adding this onto minded hours?
THERES NOWHERE TO ACTUALLY STATE IT...

oops caps

Deb
27-03-2011, 06:14 PM
why do you need to state it?

miffy
27-03-2011, 06:17 PM
why do you need to state it?

To show how much time is spent on paperwork as opposed to actually minding and to show the total number of hours is more than 40 or whatever you need to claim the higher expenses deductions?

Miffy xx

justgoodfriends
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
The NCMA is campaigning with the HMRC for us to be able to claim an amount for time spent doing paperwork

MrAnchovy
09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
If you are unhappy with the amount you are able to claim using the concessionary rates for childminders, have you looked at how much you could claim using the rules that apply to self employed people generally (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47800.htm)?

Because these rules do not limit you to a maximum claim of 10% it can work out much better for you particularly if you use a large part of your home for childminding.

Note that using the general method you can claim an appropriate proportion of ANY household expense - the HMRC specifically mention Insurance, Council Tax, Mortgage Interest, Rent, Repairs and Maintenance, Cleaning, Heat Light and Power, Telephone, Broadband and Metered water charges, but the principle applies to anything.