PDA

View Full Version : Got my first member on my Ad-hoc Scheme

susi513
23-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Okay, so been toying with idea for a while but now got my first member and family no.2 is about to sign up :D

I have a number of families that don't need long-term childcare but just odd weeks in school holidays or a few days here & there in term-time. So bit of a pia to fill in all the paperwork last minute, don't want to make parents late for their work. Also having done arrangements like 1 day for 3 siblings, for example, its a lot of paperwork which cuts into the fees meaning that sometimes its not worth doing!

So now parents can register their child with me - they fill in all the permission forms and help me compile a child profile just as I do for long-term care. But instead of paying a months deposit they pay £20 registration fee to cover my time and costs of enrolling their child. I did a bit of checking and it seems some childminders have started charging everyone a registration fee of up to £35, in view of the extra paperwork that wasn't required years ago - especially with the new EYFS requirements coming. But I'm not planning on charging this to long-term contracts, they already pay me a months deposit which can't be easy to find for most families.

Once registered, they get one free session of up to 3 hours (usually before OR after school). Then, when they need me, they just give me a booking form (with payment) or phone/email to see if I've got a place available. They know being registered does not guarantee my availability - if they want that they have to book a long-term place instead. I will offer a reduced renewal rate each year which will cover the cost of re-doing all the forms to ensure they are updated.

I'm giving the child a laminated membership card and some road safety stuff I got free off council and the parent gets a wallet of all the extra forms (medicine permission, booking form, change of address etc) and the laminated ICE cards. (In Case of Emergency ... my child is with my childminder, please contact x)

When long-term mindees leave, I'm going to give them automatic free membership as I've had a few that have come back for occasional care - so parents can go on courses, meetings, hospital appointments etc

Polly2
23-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Sounds great!

Gld its all working out for you! well done you :thumbsup:

sarah707
23-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow that sounds fab! All power to your organisational skills!

I really hope it's a success for you! :D

Pipsqueak
23-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Well done you:clapping: :clapping:

A friend of mine does one off childminding and she is always busy, it was always the amount of paperwork that put me off but you have made it sound really doable.

jaja
23-04-2008, 07:59 PM
that sounds fantastic, well done xx

littlepixies
24-04-2008, 09:53 AM
:thumbsup: Ya know what that sounds great and alot of what your saying adds up but i dont know of anyone who charges a reg fee.... but taotally understand y you would lol....

I am losing my only mindie next wed, but it will give me a bit of time before any one else starts to put something simular in place but the only thing is if no one here is doing this then wont it be a put off that they are being charged a reg fee?

i dont expect any payment in advance, i just get them round a couple of times and second time we fill paper work intogether they get a starting pack for child and policys ect, and then i get paid weekly in advance.

soooo i will definiately have a think of someting like what your doing as it sounds worth while1

devoncm
24-04-2008, 12:17 PM
That sounds a good idea, where would i start if i wanted to do something like that?

if you dont mind telling me,i have no idea what i would do.

miffy
24-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds great Susi - hope it's a success for you

miffy xx

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I have not heard of anyone doing this but it sounds good

Hope it works well for you - let us know

Angel xx

susi513
27-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I thought parents would query the registration fee or find someone else who doesn't charge it. But no-ones questioned it so far. But I've only offered it to 2 families so far. Maybe it went down so easily because the preschools and afterschool clubs here all charge a registration fee. Thats where I got the idea from first, then I found childminders elsewhere charge a fee so thought I would start. Or it could be parents don't mind because its easier to find than the months deposit I get from long-term mindees!

devoncm, I haven't advertised it yet but I'm working on a leaflet in Publisher.
My first member found me on CIS listing and the second found my ad for a full timer on Gumtree and contacted me on the off-chance I might do a temporary place. Most of my ad-hoc care comes through ex-mindees and word of mouth. I often get calls from people who got my number from "someone". There seem to be a lot of "someones" who know me from the school playground, toddlers etc. Half the time I've no idea who they're talking about. :o .

I'm going to write to all my ex-mindees and offer them first year free. Every time someone leaves a long-term place, if they're not moving miles away I'll give them automatic membership.

Spangles
27-04-2008, 03:22 PM
That sounds like a really good idea.

x

Blaze
23-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Do you have any form of contract on this scheme...or do you use a standard contract & just write ad hoc care in the appropriate section?:)