PDA

View Full Version : Prospective parents not turning up

claireLouise
25-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi Guys,

Recently I have had a lot of enquiries and made appointments so we can chat in more detail and show then around.

Last night a parent who had been previously said she was nearly certain she wanted to use my services but could she bring her mum for a visit didn't show up; no phone cal,l nothing. Sent a polite email asking if she wanted to rearrange and hoped nothing was wrong, but no reply. I know I need to write off this enquiry but does anyone else experience this and what do you do when it happends?:angry:

Look forward to hearing from you.

rickysmiths
25-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Don't worry it happens all the time. I find it quite rude but have got used to it now. i take great delight when they ring back in a panic telling them I no longer have a vacancy! :thumbsup:

Tealady
25-03-2011, 12:42 PM
It's all part of the job I'm afraid.

I try and get a mobile number and then text the morning of the appointment just saying "Just checking we're still Ok to meet later at xx.xx"

Normally it's a yes, however a couple of times I think it has prevented a no-show. One lady apparently got me confused with another CM but had ruled me out due to school runs. Me advising of school runs and her booking an appointment all happened in the same conversation :mad: and somebody else had meant to have rung to cancel :rolleyes: but was not returning to work after all.

sarah707
25-03-2011, 12:59 PM
The funniest is when you see them a few months later at the childminder drop in session having just finished the registration process :rolleyes:

fingers crossed the next people have more respect for your time xx

nicoleon
25-03-2011, 01:04 PM
i'm lucky because that hasn't happened to me yet but i am ever so annoyed when they don't reply to me after i replied to an enquiry from them. it's so rude! at least say 'nope, i'm not interested' or something...

Alibali
25-03-2011, 01:21 PM
sitting waiting on one now:panic: Eta 13.00-13.30, lets see:D

KarenM
25-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I've learnt not to take enquiries too seriously until they sign the contract. I also get mobile numbers and after half an hour of waiting I continue with my day and text them saying I have had to go out.

angeldelight
25-03-2011, 02:29 PM
sitting waiting on one now:panic: Eta 13.00-13.30, lets see:D

Hope she turned up

I have one due at 4 so fingers crossed

Put it down to experience Claire - its rude though and is very annoying

Angel xx

chibault
25-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I've had this Claire, it's really frustrating, you've made the house ultra neat, clean and tidy, set up toys/activities for the children, prepared snacks, printed parent packs, got out other relevant paperwork, finally put on some lippy and mascara and then they don't arrive! Grrrrr!

I wouldn't do this to a Childminder, nursery or anyone else, but looking at it from their point of view they probably don't realise the effort that goes into prepping for the meetings.

Some people haven't been taught grace, courtesy and consideration by their parents, so maybe we are better off without their kids, who are likely to lack these virtues too.

Just think of it this way, you have to get through the no shows to get to the parents who turn up, so the more you get through the closer you are to getting to the parents who are truly interested.
Chin up, it just comes with the job, it's not personal.
Becky x

Alibali
25-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Hope she turned up

I have one due at 4 so fingers crossed

Put it down to experience Claire - its rude though and is very annoying

Angel xx

They came, lovely little thing, but they have others to see too. Wonder if I'll hear back.

Hope yours goes well too x

Mollymop
25-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Yes I have had this before and i find it very rude. One was very interested and made a second appointment to sign up but she never came, never called, nothing. I still see her about, she decided so I heard that childcare is too expensive for her :rolleyes: , she avoids my eye, looks the other way, etc and I would so LOVE to tell her how rude she is but you can't can you?!

onceinabluemoon
25-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, I've had it a few times too. Now I don't go to anything like the amount of trouble I used to go to for enquiries, usually they just have to fit in with our working day and I don't go to any extra trouble to tidy etc

I also don't bother to make up parent packs any more either, it was quite a tough lesson to learn to find out that not one of my parents actually bothered to read them, now I don't bother... a bit sad really and not the way I envisaged running my business :(

Funnily enough though I am always full to brimming over so I must be doing something right, lol...

Newbie1!
25-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Its awful isnt it - have had it no end do it these last couple of months. Also people emailing asking lots of questions, emailing back claiming they are very interested and then thats it :angry:

Have had one come today who has just text to say she think she lost some money here:panic: :panic: Cant find any money anywhere, Im sure its not here but just now feel very awkward about that :(

Please try not to let it get you down, some people are very inconsiderate xx

snufflepuff
25-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes I have had this too! Very rude and annoying, after all the effort that goes in to getting everything ready for them. I just remind myself that someone who doesn't turn up is not the type of person I want to do business with anyway! See it as a lucky escape!

alwaysright
26-03-2011, 07:13 AM
i've had this a few times and also a few who turn up very late with no explanation, just think of it as a lucky escape because it they behave like that before you take them on what would they be like when you have them!! ie late turning up, late payments etc etc because it normally follows that way :mad:

Tealady
26-03-2011, 01:15 PM
The funny thing is, most of us are reasonable people and quite understanding (although maybe slightly annoyed) of the miriad of reasons why a parent might change their mind or choose somebody else. It's just nice to know.

miffy
26-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I think most of us will have had someone fail to turn up - it is rude but you have to try not to take it personally.

Miffy xx