PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Information: too personal?

catswhiskers
24-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I look after a 4.5 year old (have since she was 5 months old). She originally came to me 4 days, then 3, then 2, now 1 day a week and attends a private nursery for 3.

Parents have her parents evening tonight. Would it be too personal for me to request a copy of mindees "report"?

By the way have written to nursery last March asking for a two-way flow (wish I hadn't sent them so much of my stuff now ha ha) with no result and then again four weeks ago but with no result.

Don't have to do this really but have my Ofsted report anytime (was due November just gone) and just want to get it over and done with.

Just seems I've got paperwork coming out of my ears what with my own 18 year old and 15 year old preparing for exams/uni/work experience and also 12 year old going through mood swings!

Good job I've got tomorrow off!

christine e
25-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Think I would ask parents to have a word with nursery to explain that on two occasions you have requested that nursery share development with you and that you have had no response and that this is a requirement under EYFS. If you have kept copies of your correspondence with nursery I would make them available for your Ofsted inspector and if you do do as I suggest above keep a record of the outcome with perhaps something in writing from parents. At my very recent inspection Mrs O asked a lot of questions about how I work in partnership with school/nursery, fortunately I have a very good relationship with them but she did say that many childminders are experiencing difficulties so I would strongly advise you to evidence your attempts to work in partnership with them

Cx

keatingschick
25-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, you have made the attempt. Like Christine says try and document that you have attempted to share the info with the nursery and that they've not responded. I'd let Ofsted know this, as they are big on this but don't seem to appreciate that its not as easy as it sounds.
I've collected from schools and nurseries, and you are lucky if you get a nod from the teacher, never mind chance to discuss development/progress etc.
It was hard enough with my own children - it was like requesting a sitting with the queen to get a "chat"

My friend had her Ofsted inspection and was really hot on this, and this was the "action" she was given to work on her liasons with the nursery. This was when it was first mentioned and none of us had ever heard of it. When my friend spoke to the Early Years team, they said they were aware of it and had not got around to mentioning it to the minders :eek: so my poor friend had a bit of a dressing down by Ofsted for something she didnt know she had to do!

I would say that you've tried, they've not responded, you've tried to chase it up and they STILL havent responded, maybe Ofsted will realise its not always as easy as they think.

suzyblue
25-03-2011, 08:11 AM
I would go on the nurserys website and download their news letters, they usually show what they are doing that term etc. I do this with local schools/nurseries and Ofsted were fine with it.

Andrea08
25-03-2011, 08:59 AM
if you dont get any joy from nursery in the "Wider Context" part of childs file write in how many times you have tried to talk with nursery and any feed bk you have got ...then ask parents...then write in file the feed bk from the parents it shows you are trying to share info and adding comments from the parents good luck we all have difficulties getting nurseries to work WITH US ..

claireLouise
25-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Could you not ask parents for a verbal summary of the report, not sure why you need a copy.

catswhiskers
25-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all your advice. It's tricky also in that I don't actually go to the nursery as Mum drops younger sibling with me then takes and collects 4 year old to and from nursery.

I was just wondering to ask for a copy so I could put in childs folder to show Ofsted.

Maybe I could get a verbal feedback from Mum - I'll see what happens.