PDA

View Full Version : Charging for children when they have a free place at nursery

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Never had to do this before

I usually charge when children are at nursery

But a child has a free place 3 mornings a week

Parent wants him to come to me for an hour before nursery then I drop him off.
Collect just after lunch when he would be here for an hour after nursery

All of which I would usually charge

I would also have to look after the younger sister for the 3 full mornings

I know the parent would not be able to pay me for those hours - and it seems mean when he has a free place - pointless then to pay me ??

What would you charge for this or what would you do ?

Thanks everyone

Angel xx

kindredspirits
24-03-2011, 04:55 PM
charge for it unless you have plenty of free spaces - you're not a charity. ;)

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 05:02 PM
charge for it unless you have plenty of free spaces - you're not a charity. ;)

Yes I know but it still seems mean

Whats the point in having a free place for your child when you then have to pay the childminder - just seems mean to me

I know I am a softie though ha ha

But could it also maker her go somewhere else if I charge her ?

Angel xx

JumpingJacks
24-03-2011, 05:06 PM
I charge for my LO when he is at nursery as mum needs his space for school holidays and school closures etc, she was happy with paying but think it helped that she used to be a CM herself so was aware how it worked. Do what is best for you, only you know what you can afford to survive on and what spaces you have x

grindal
24-03-2011, 05:08 PM
It is a difficult one, but they are still using a space up, and you are not going to be able to fill it with another child - so they should pay.

If you know the family, and are getting other business you could maybe compromise and offer them half fees while the child is at nursery - as a sort of retainer while they are out? But then, what if other families find out you are doing this? They may expect you to offer the same to them when their children get a nursery place.

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 05:12 PM
It is a difficult one, but they are still using a space up, and you are not going to be able to fill it with another child - so they should pay.

If you know the family, and are getting other business you could maybe compromise and offer them half fees while the child is at nursery - as a sort of retainer while they are out? But then, what if other families find out you are doing this? They may expect you to offer the same to them when their children get a nursery place.

Yes thats what I was thinking - the bit about the other parents finding out she is friends with one of my moms ha ha

It is difficult and I am unsure what to do

Angel xx

grindal
24-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes thats what I was thinking - the bit about the other parents finding out she is friends with one of my moms ha ha

It is difficult and I am unsure what to do

Angel xx

Maybe you could tell her that it is a one off favour and if she discusses it with anyone you will withdraw the reduction in fees - a bit like a secrecy clause. You could even add it to the contract.

Pauline
24-03-2011, 05:16 PM
You are keeping that space open so can't let it to someone else and if they were not going to nursery for the free place they would come to you, so would pay wouldn't they?

It does tug at heart strings I know, but that won't pay the bills :(

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 05:24 PM
You are keeping that space open so can't let it to someone else and if they were not going to nursery for the free place they would come to you, so would pay wouldn't they?

Yes I know what you mean

Still it does not feel right

Would everyone here charge for this - or am I the only one who is soft ha

Angel xx

nic t
24-03-2011, 05:30 PM
So am I right in thinking that if you didn't charge you would only be getting paid for 2 hours?!

Hmm 2 hours pay for taking up a space? I think not! What advice would you give to somebody else?

I would def charge and think that financially they will be in a better position than somebody who had to pay for the nursery space and your childminder fees too!

And you'll only be doing mornings for the other child so not even full days there so in effect 2 spaces being used for half a days pay plus 2 hours

Don't forget you run a business not a charity! :)

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 05:42 PM
So am I right in thinking that if you didn't charge you would only be getting paid for 2 hours?!

Hmm 2 hours pay for taking up a space? I think not! What advice would you give to somebody else?

I would def charge and think that financially they will be in a better position than somebody who had to pay for the nursery space and your childminder fees too!

And you'll only be doing mornings for the other child so not even full days there so in effect 2 spaces being used for half a days pay plus 2 hours

Don't forget you run a business not a charity! :)

Yes you are right - putting it like that it does sound pretty rubbish only getting paid for 2 hours

Yes and my advice to anyone else would be def charge .......not so easy following your own advice though

Thanks think I will charge ha ha

Angel xx

HELEN10
24-03-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree with above. I have a child who will get 15 free hours in Sept and mum only works part time and is trying to fit around his pre school hours but she will require more than his nursery hours each day so I will be in the same situation.

There is one pre school near me though that is open from 8 till 4 so she can buy extra hours at £4.00 per hour so that is much cheaper than paying me! However, they do need to think about school hols, will she require you then?

I know what you mean though, parents will look forward to getting their 15
free hours but as Pauline says you are keeping that place for her, a place that you could be getting income for! You could always say what I have said to a parent in the past, that you would agree to it for now but if you should get an enquiry for that place then you would firstly give her the option of paying for it or otherwise would have give it to another parent .

Good luck

Polly2
24-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Also what about when she wants you to have child if nursery is shut? Are you technically responsible for the child even when at nursery?

sandy64
24-03-2011, 05:52 PM
hi angel if you were acredited would he of come to you or nursery?? for free place? will you have him in hols? i would personally charge as it is a free place there getting at nursery and taking up a place with you and as you are taking and picking up at least charge a half day fee:) it does get complicated with these free places, but you are running a buisness:)

breezy
24-03-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm afraid I charge! I cant fill the space and I'm the emergency contact, it is hard, but I cant afford not to charge and I cant fill the space for 3 hrs:(
I dont however charge if parent takes child to nursery and I'm not "on call", I then just charge from pick up.

saying that all childminders here do it and personally no ones ever complained!

stop being so nice, how else will you afford to see your husband:laughing:

The Juggler
24-03-2011, 06:02 PM
the only time I offered not to charge for a 3 year old was when he went to breakfast and wraparound so I only had him as an after schooler and was able to get a variation.

I could not afford not to charge for a precious under 5 space hon. charge it or at least compromise and charge her for half the hours???

dollydally
24-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Oooh I'm relatively new at this lark .... I have an almost 3 year old a morning for an hour and then drop her off at preschool till 3pm. I then have her till 5.30. I don't charge for the bit she's not with me because I suppose i feel like it's like she's at school and I wouldn't charge for a child that I took to school and picked up afterwards.... I look after her sister all day and have them both on the following day. So if I had an enquiry from someone else who, for example sake, wanted me to look after a 2 year old from 10am till 2pm, would I not be able to do it? How does that work? Say, for example, the pre-school phoned me up to say the (almost) 3 year old was unwell, technically I could say no and get them to ring mum? so many questions, sorry, and not even my thread! I think i would charge if pre-school were only a morning.

charleyfarley
24-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I've got exactly the same dilema coming up and trying to come up with a solution that will suit the parents and myself. I really like this particular family, infact they are the perfect parents :thumbsup:

Lo will be going to pre school 2 full funded days after Easter hols, he could have done this sooner but parents chose to keep him with me and I'll have him the other 3 days. Normally I would charge as it's keeping the place for the hols but in May I shall be having his little sister too.

I really hate the money side of minding :panic:

Sorry Angel I haven't been any help to you have I :D

Carol xx

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Oooh I'm relatively new at this lark .... I have an almost 3 year old a morning for an hour and then drop her off at preschool till 3pm. I then have her till 5.30. I don't charge for the bit she's not with me because I suppose i feel like it's like she's at school and I wouldn't charge for a child that I took to school and picked up afterwards.... I look after her sister all day and have them both on the following day. So if I had an enquiry from someone else who, for example sake, wanted me to look after a 2 year old from 10am till 2pm, would I not be able to do it? How does that work? Say, for example, the pre-school phoned me up to say the (almost) 3 year old was unwell, technically I could say no and get them to ring mum? so many questions, sorry, and not even my thread! I think i would charge if pre-school were only a morning.

Well yes if a 2 year old came along you would be able to do it because you are not getting paid for the 3 year old

....and for the 3 year old who you do have then if you are not being paid then no you are not expected to be the emergency contact so yes they could call the mom if child was unwell.

Angel xx

Alibali
24-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm usually very soft at most things, however this is one I've never struggled with and none of the parents have questioned it. If I drop off and collect, have the child on holidays and inset days and am 'on-call' if nurszery closes or something then I charge. Wouldn't be able to fill the space required so the need to pay for it. Be firm from the start and then it will be easier in the future:thumbsup:

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I've got exactly the same dilema coming up and trying to come up with a solution that will suit the parents and myself. I really like this particular family, infact they are the perfect parents :thumbsup:

Lo will be going to pre school 2 full funded days after Easter hols, he could have done this sooner but parents chose to keep him with me and I'll have him the other 3 days. Normally I would charge as it's keeping the place for the hols but in May I shall be having his little sister too.

I really hate the money side of minding :panic:

Sorry Angel I haven't been any help to you have I :D

Carol xx

Thanks Carol ha ha

I hate the money side sometimes too

I do understand but it just seems so cheeky to charge when they have the free place - whats the point in it if they have to pay me instead - do you get what I mean ?

I have not had a child at nursery for years so have not had to do this for a long time and now I might be doing it I just do not feel comfortable charging

Child will be coming the rest of the week too plus holidays

Oh I am even more confused now ha ha

I know a childminder not far who just charges for taking the child and collecting from nursery

So if a new parent goes to see this childminder I can not see it going down well that I charge

Grrrrrrrrrrr I just dont know what to do

Angel xx

Chimps Childminding
24-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Its a difficult one!! Generally when I have a lo at Nursery they are there for the morning, I take/collect and have them for the rest of the day, and I charge whilst they are there! However, if you feel uneasy about this, how about charging half fee while the lo is at nursery (as you are having sibling anyway) explain to mum (if you haven't already) about the fact that lo will still be taking up a full time space even though she only needs you a couple of hours, but you are prepared to blah blah blah as a favour, just to her and that you would prefer it not to be mentioned to other parents etc etc. and see how it goes :rolleyes:

To be honest I have more of a problem charging when parents are also having to pay for nursery, but then they choose to send them to nursery on the days they are coming to us :rolleyes:

mushpea
24-03-2011, 07:24 PM

if you can fill that gap with another child then great but what happens in the school holidays,, does the parent need you to have the 3yrold in the hols? if so you couldnt take on another when the other one was at preschool as in the holidays you would then go over your numbers.
I charge when they are at preschool but since i became accredited parents have choose to use their free child care with me,, the only time I dont charge when they are at preschool is if I only pick up or only drop off .

onceinabluemoon
24-03-2011, 07:32 PM
If you feel bad about charging why don't you suggest to the parent thst you charge when child is at nursery if you pick up and drop off but not if you just pick up so would it be worth them dropping child off. Then the ball is in their court...

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 07:37 PM
If you feel bad about charging why don't you suggest to the parent thst you charge when child is at nursery if you pick up and drop off but not if you just pick up so would it be worth them dropping child off. Then the ball is in their court...

Yeah that sounds good but they have to be in work at 8 so I can not suggest that

I might suggest that she collects though instead - see if that works out

Angel xx

SYLVIA
24-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I have never considered not charging when the child is at nursery unless I only pick up at lunchtime. I would charge if the parent had to pay for nursery anyway so at least they only have to pay one person. I know it seems mean if they are getting a free nursery place but I need to make a living and filling a few hour is not an easy task

dollydally
24-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes, I would go over my numbers Mushpea if that were to happen. I suppose what I would do then I would have to tell either one that i wouldn't be available in the holidays. It's amazing what you'll agree to when you just start out, I've picked up so much in these last few weeks!

bandlady
24-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I also have a problem about charging while a child is at nursery/preschool.

Whilst I know it makes good business sense to charge I have decided to make a decision based in each child's individual circumstances. If I know a parent really cannot afford to pay i will do my best to come up with a plan that will suit us both. At the moment I have three children that I mind in preschool - one manages to collect her child from preschool I just take, another takes her child and I collect and the other child is at preschool all day I just take and collect. By managing to juggle these children between them only take up one space throughout the week so therefore I do not feel that I am losing out on too much income.

It really is down to the individual to find a way that works for them because nearly all my childminding is on a part time basis I have seven children a week that I manage to slot in.

Denise

georgie456
24-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I charge if I drop off and collect. I've never had a parent question it to be honest. A space taken, is a space taken. You wouldn't be able to fill a space for such a short amount of time.

lou lou
24-03-2011, 09:22 PM
i have 2 mindees that go to preschool that i drop off and pick up and i charge still while they are at playschool as i cant fill their space some times i do fill guilty that i am getting paid still for two while they are at playschool but i also put it into the contract now and any prospective parents that visit i tell them that if they go to playschool they are still charged so that they know from the start and then their should be no issues when they start going to playschool

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
24-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I also charge if I take and pick up a child and I lost a little one 2 years ago as mum did not want to pay even though I would have had the child in the holidays. The mum was ok in the end and we are still really good friends and she understood why I still had to charge.

Even the same thing happens next year I will still charge.

xxx

miffy
24-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I charge because I cannot fill the place for the small time the child is at pre-school or nursery.

I've had mixed reactions from parents - some have paid up no problem, others have used their free sessions on the days I don't have their lo and some have moved their child because they could use their free sessions to provide a full day's care.

Miffy xx

RachelE
24-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Where I moved from 3 years ago, every child went to a school nursery (unless in a Private day nursery) for their 15 hours.
- each school had their own nursery.

It wasnt considered that they were getting 15 hours 'free childcare', it was more, the natural route = nursery then reception.

Parents never questioned it all about having to pay, they knew they were having a place held for them and they just paid for it. - so therefore I charged.

Where I live now, we dont have school nurseries - preschools form 2-5years old.
People feel they are getting 15 hours free childcare and will do their best to use it to their advantage - not see it from an educational or social point of view.
I have lost children as soon as they get their entitlement as they can use them over 2 full days and not have to pay childcare. (despite whether its best for the child or not! :rolleyes: )

If I am holding the place for 2.5 hours, I will charge.

Rachel x

Rubybubbles
24-03-2011, 10:13 PM
charge 1/2 fee:) I never used to charge when they were at pre-school, but slowly getting tougher:laughing:

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 10:14 PM
charge 1/2 fee:) I never used to charge when they were at pre-school, but slowly getting tougher:laughing:

Wish I could be tough

I think my problem is I am looking at this from a parent point of view and not a childmidner ha ha

Angel xx

Playmate
24-03-2011, 10:28 PM
If we take and pick up they are charged. If we only pick up at lunch time we dont charge whilst they are there. However we do make it clear that we can't guarentee a morning place during holidays, so they may have to find alternative cover :D

rickysmiths
25-03-2011, 12:14 AM
If we take and pick up they are charged. If we only pick up at lunch time we dont charge whilst they are there. However we do make it clear that we can't guarentee a morning place during holidays, so they may have to find alternative cover :D

Snap. Though I have only just interview one that would want pick up at lunch time. I said if they wanted holiday cover then they would be charged half fee for the morning otherwise I couldn't be sure there would be a holiday place.

singlewiththree
25-03-2011, 07:11 AM
I've not had chance to read all the post but I am VERY soft. I have a 2yr old and a 4yr old at preschool all day. The 2yr old pays the nursery and the 4yr old doesn't both come to me before nursery for an hour and afterwards for 2 hours and I only charge 3hrs a day! WHY? because I have a variation for this and have a 7mth old baby and a 3yr old who I am building up to attend nursery as he isn't ready so I'm happy to have just 2 children in the day and would feel guilty taking the money if they weren't coming. Both come term time only with very adhoc if I have space in the holidays so its not like I'm holding a place for the holidays.