PDA

View Full Version : do you go with your gut with new mindees?

newandlearning
24-03-2011, 01:20 PM
hi all ..

am just wondering do you always go with your gut when it comes to new mindees.. some mindees I've had come over and taken them on because I could feel a connection and its worked well.. and others you can see they are going to play with all the wrong things like the set top box on telly, climbing into boxes filled with toys and then jump out into others boxes .. not want to sit for snack .. etc etc... my thought in those situations are ''hmm.. should I or shouldn't I take them on? could this same child be a runner in a park or other risky things?''

so I'm wondering do you give every child a chance to come to your setting or do you go with your gut instinct? :)

thanks for reading lovelies.. x

muffins
24-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I've never met a child I felt I couldn't work with, I've always manage to curb there behaviour to meet my house rules somehow! BUT I did meet a parent who I felt I just didn't connect with & felt it wouldn't be in the childs best interests to look after them in this situation, so I said I someone else pipped them to the post:blush:

Pipsqueak
24-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I believe with ANY new contract you should go with your gut instinct

Andrea08
24-03-2011, 03:52 PM
ohhh sometimes i wish i had gone with my gut instinct...

but i do have a 4 wk settleing in time where either side can end contract without notice if its not working out...

this can also put parents in a jam esp if working and dont have cover but we can only do our best

mufftie
24-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I probably give every child a chance , and if I couldn't deal with them then I'd let them go again within the 4 wks settling in period

brightstar
24-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I am wishing right this moment that I had gone with my gut instinct. Can't wait for this one to start school after Easter:blush: I cannot abide children that can't take no for an answer, and boy this one really tries my patience. Mostly he's quite good, but we're having a "high attention" day today i think.

nic t
24-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Difficult!

Normally I'd say yes but one mindee who my instinct was saying no too turned out to be the most delightful girl! Didn't see this side of her for a couple of months but after that no problems at all.

I have now known the family for 5 years and I also mind her sister who came along a couple of years later!

JumpingJacks
24-03-2011, 05:08 PM
So far I have gone with gut instinct, and I will prob continue to go with that as I need to ensure each individual mindee fits in with my LO's too. I can't afford to be picky but you can't put a price on sanity :D

Jackie x

breezy
24-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I usually go with my gut instinct, but its more about the parents than the child, as to whether I can work with them because I feel if I can work with parent we can sort child between us!

mama2three
24-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Honestly? Im much more likely to ignore the gut feeling if we are under financial pressure. Touch wood mine have all turned out for the best.