PDA

View Full Version : not understanding...

VINASOL
24-03-2011, 11:47 AM
...whilst the girls are sitting nicely eating lunch we are talking they are asking my daughter what she likes, and what she doesn't like...one of the questions is Bluewater (we live near and have taken all three girls before)...and mindee asks what Bluewater is, so my DD says "it's a place you go when you want to buy stuff for grown ups and kids" and then mindee announces she doesn't like bluewater because it tastes horrible :eek:

sometimes I do worry about her....her imagination is great but really lacks any kind of understanding...it was funny though when she decided to tell the girls that her mum said her and her brother could go to a shop in bluewater on their own and that they are getting the bus there to buy teddy bears - the girls pulled faces (in disbelief) as they knew she was telling fibs :rolleyes:

i definitely think it is time to have a chat with nursery about mindee and see what conclusions they have drawn (it's parents meeting soon)...anyone else have 4yr olds like this -- normal behaviour??

dollydally
24-03-2011, 08:18 PM
It sounds perfectly normal to me but then maybe I know lots of strange children! I mean, Bluewater's a silly name really isn't it..? As for the story telling bit, I know of a lot of 4/5 year olds that make up little things like that - as long as they are not outright fibs (like blaming others for doing something etc), i just play along. Maybe that's wrong, i don't know! I like to listen to them telling a little yarn. My son told me he found a ball in the bush and threw it so far, it landed absolutely miles away in the park. Total fabrication.

VINASOL
25-03-2011, 06:36 PM
It sounds perfectly normal to me but then maybe I know lots of strange children! I mean, Bluewater's a silly name really isn't it..? As for the story telling bit, I know of a lot of 4/5 year olds that make up little things like that - as long as they are not outright fibs (like blaming others for doing something etc), i just play along. Maybe that's wrong, i don't know! I like to listen to them telling a little yarn. My son told me he found a ball in the bush and threw it so far, it landed absolutely miles away in the park. Total fabrication.

Oh i know it sounds really silly, but this girl does lie a LOT...she will smack someone in the face (i've seen it) and deny it....this week (with all the kids jumping on my leather sofa) some of the threading has come loose....I saw her pull it hard and it ripped...she DENIEd even touching it....she will tell me that she has seen mummy in bed with a naked man (mum says it is not true)....will say lots of different things that have not happened....and she will ask so many strange things...but it's the normal day-to-day things that she says....such a lack of understanding....can't put my finger on it....thank you for respondign to my 'vague' posting! xx

Pipsqueak
25-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh i know it sounds really silly, but this girl does lie a LOT...she will smack someone in the face (i've seen it) and deny it....this week (with all the kids jumping on my leather sofa) some of the threading has come loose....I saw her pull it hard and it ripped...she DENIEd even touching it....she will tell me that she has seen mummy in bed with a naked man (mum says it is not true)....will say lots of different things that have not happened....and she will ask so many strange things...but it's the normal day-to-day things that she says....such a lack of understanding....can't put my finger on it....thank you for respondign to my 'vague' posting! xx

jumping on the sofa - that woiuld have been stopped immediately - actually it would not have occurred.

As for pulling the thread..... hmmm

all the children I care for, as well as my own know I deplore lies and I will come down hard on the lie - I would prefer to know the truth

VINASOL
25-03-2011, 07:04 PM
jumping on the sofa - that woiuld have been stopped immediately - actually it would not have occurred.

As for pulling the thread..... hmmm

all the children I care for, as well as my own know I deplore lies and I will come down hard on the lie - I would prefer to know the truth

Ooohhh Pip...I have such a hard time sometimes....OK...if I say to my DD "Stop jumping on the sofa, you know you are not allowed", mindee will do it.

I told my DD to come away from the curb; mindee put her FOOT in the road (when a car was coming)....

...lies all the time....

....sit down with her and ask her about telling the truth and telling and lie and what is 'right' and 'wrong'; so I say to her:

If I tell you my hair colour is black (it's ginger), it is a truth or a lie
A lie. Why I ask? Because your hair is Orange (Ok. it is kinda lol)....then give her another example of what my name is etc...

...then I say, is it the truth to say that my name is XXX, when my name is YYYY.

YES.

...but I'm not called that?

NO.

So is it a truth or a lie to say my hair name is XXX?

TRUTH

....I could go on....

rhea26
25-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I think it is common for young ones to make up stories, my step daughter was about 7 and had been on holiday to spain with her mum and step dad, however she told me they went to africa and stayed in a hut and saw lions! I had to laugh it was so funny and cute! But I guess there is a big difference from making a cute story to telling lies when you know the truth, does mum ever say anything about her telling lies?