PDA

View Full Version : Childcare for September- retainer? Deposit?

snufflepuff
24-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I have just had someone email me who needs childcare starting in September. She hasn't even got a job yet and has said she knows nothing about all this! She has asked if I can hold the days for her.
Anyway- i'd plan on asking for 4 weeks fees as a deposit for this like I always do, but would you also charge a retainer? I'd tell her to leave it a while and get herself a job sorted first but I have someone else coming to visit on Tuesday who wants the same days! And it sounded like the lady visiting on Tuesday needs childcare to start fairly soon- so holding the space until September means i'm missing out on the income between now and then.

muffins
24-03-2011, 09:29 AM
If your losing out on income then yes I'd charge a retainer. I do find it hard to tell parents its going to cost x amount before they even start but I try to put my business head on;)

BuggsieMoo
24-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I think that there is some 'rule' over this and that is roughly if it is within a month or so, its just a deposit. A time being held for longer is a retainer which is 50% fee's - but the place must be available for her use (at full rate) anytime between now and September (start date).
Hope this was helpful
Lisa
x

cs01
24-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I think I'd wait and see what the Tuesday mum wants. Sounds like she already know hours and days she needs. Your Sept enquiry lady doesn't even have a job yet! I would tell the Sept enquiry that you will get back to them once you have seen the other mum.

Good to have two enquiries though :clapping:

snufflepuff
24-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Good to have two enquiries though

I know, they're like busses! I had three in one week back in February, and four last May- but that's it, none in between. They all come together!

I explained about deposits and retainers and she said she obviously has no money to pay any of it (understandably) so I said i'd let her know what Tuesday lady says and we can go from there.

maryp0ppins
24-03-2011, 10:05 AM
I think I'd wait and see what the Tuesday mum wants. Sounds like she already know hours and days she needs. Your Sept enquiry lady doesn't even have a job yet! I would tell the Sept enquiry that you will get back to them once you have seen the other mum. Good to have two enquiries though :clapping:

Agreed

who's saying the emailed mother will even find a job (in this present climate)

Good luck :thumbsup: