PDA

View Full Version : people make me so cross

nelly
24-03-2011, 06:47 AM
:angry: my son (15yrs) had to go to a+e last night he got his hand caught in a bus door (don't ask how) well it was a very bad cut and it needed stitches ,the bus driver called an ambulance and they phoned me to come with him. my son has adhd and autism (so maybe some of you can understand now why he got his hand in a bus door). well got in ambulance son was o.k ,they took his details and off we went,ambulance man started talking bout general things and then he asked what my son was going to do after he leaves school,my son replied by telling him im going to college to do construction and the ambulance man replied by saying the army would be better for you and that would sort your problems out :angry: . i was fumming .still people think that adhd and autism is the parents fault for being to soft. thought ambulance people were a bit more educated than that ,how wrong i was:huh: sorry moan over xx

Pipsqueak
24-03-2011, 07:08 AM
well first off - hope young mans hand is ok this morning.

as for the ambulance man - sounds misguided and/or ignorant.

Hebs
24-03-2011, 07:28 AM
as the mother of an ADHD child i would have been furious and would put a complaint in

do they think our kids choose to be the way they are :angry: :angry: :angry:

angiemog
24-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Oh my word..... how shocking. Your poor son and poor you to have to hear it. Hope his hand is ok sending a big to you both and a punch on the nose to the ambulance man. I would have thought he would have been better educated to understand the different needs of all people. I would have been fuming. xx

bibi571
24-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Thats shocking and totally misguided. When my son with aspergers (form of autism) broke his leg years ago - very badly. I explained to the ambulance driver that due to his condition he didn't sense pain properly. It could be broken and he would be feeling it the same as you and I. He told me that if it was broken we'd know all about it as he'd be screaming from the rooftops "you don't break your tibia and not kno it!" He said. Was such a bad break he was in cast for 9 months.

As for the comment on the army. My son is now wanting to join the Airforce and cannot due to the asperger and possible ADHD - not allowed to with these conditions. Cant either if you suffer from migraines which he does. He is totally gutted as his heart is set on it. Not sure what he will do but he is checking out the marines and the army.

Barbara

Hebs
24-03-2011, 08:04 AM
You can join the army with ADHD but not if they are on medication for it

have to be medication free for 2 years, due to the problems getting medications to them "during a battle"

luckily my son doesnt want to join the forces, i'd be worried sick all the time :laughing:

Bridey
24-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a friend whose Asperger's boyfriend is in the navy and he loves it.

Milli147
24-03-2011, 10:43 AM
"you don't break your tibia and not kno it!"
Barbara

Yes, you can. I didn't realise for 3 days!:(

mufftie
24-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a friend whose Asperger's boyfriend is in the navy and he loves it.

i agree maybe the comment wasnt meant as it sounded , the forces could be a way to channel his energy

i believe they should bring back national service as there are many kids out there that would benefit greatly

but i do also think that the ambulance man acted very inprofessionally in saying that and maybe you should put in a complaint

MaryMary
24-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I would have been fuming too! I cannot imagine someone with Autism coping with the noise and confusion of battle :eek: (I know there are different degrees - a spectrum - but YKWIM) And lets face it, our boys (& girls) don't join the army just for the training & job opportunities now days - they are at war :panic:

angeldelight
24-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Hope your son is ok

how is he feeling now ?

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon
25-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Hope your DS is ok now. As a mum of 3 Aspie boys I can quite imagine how he would get his hand caught in a bus door...

As you were there when the paramedic made his comment, and therefore know it was not a misunderstanding, I would be inclined to write a polite letter saying how you feel about your sons treatment and asking that the paramedic team are better informed in the future.

Hugs x