PDA

View Full Version : Baby with Special Needs

swindonminder
23-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I am meeting a parent on Monday, her baby boy who is 6 months has special needs. I was wondering what questions I would need to ask her.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Emma

Goatgirl
23-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi,
I'd find out as much as possible about exactly what the special needs are; does he have named conditions that you can look up and do research into? How he is affected by them and what the family are doing to help LO to develope and learn. What professional help is being given and contact details etc.

It would be important to ascertain if this LO will need more care to the extent that it would limit how many other children you could care for at the same time. If he does, then there may be some funding help to cover a space which you might need to keep empty...

not sure what else really, depends on the nature of the special needs really.

Hope it goes well, good luck :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

swindonminder
23-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks Wendy :)

lfishwick
23-03-2011, 07:57 PM
As Wendy said.

Plus asking about dietary needs.
Medication.
Developmental needs/abilities
Medical needs e.g do they have seizures, tubes, regular infections - what are the signs and symptoms of any medical needs etc.

It may that they are starting the statementing process early on so all agencies involved as you will probably be heavily involved as the childminder- plus the professionals may want to observe the child in your setting.

:)

swindonminder
23-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Thank you, I wouldnt of even known where to start:panic: