PDA

View Full Version : Late pick ups

Mykidsrock
23-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Please can someone offer some advice and how to word a letter to a parent who is being late on a too frequent basis now.

I mind her LO full time Monday - Friday 9 am to 6pm and all has been going well up until the past couple of weeks.

1) Payments have started to be late (only by a couple of days) but Mum has kept me informed so this in itself has not been a huge problem - but I would like paying on time!
2) Mum is supposed to pick her LO up at 6pm (what she is contracted to) but it started a couple of weeks ago being 5 minutes later every few days with mum citing the bus was late etc - and I accepted this and did not charge. However, we are now a few weeks down the line and Mum is 15 minutes late every night, looking very harassed but no explanation. Whereas before I always got a text or quick call to advise.

I know Mum is having a few issues at work and I don't want to add to that as that would probably end up with me loosing the mindee and Mum her job, but on the other hand, i do not want to be taken for a fool who gives me an additional hour plus a week free.

Someone please offer some words of wisdom.

Thanks

Jess xx

wendywu
23-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Just suggest that mum needs to change the contract to 6.15 or 6.30 as this is the time she obviously needs :D

prettysunflower
23-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Jess,

I would offer her a contract review to give you the chance to chat and find out a bit about whats going on and change the contract to accomodate a later pick up/negotiate new payment terms if she is struggling to pay you, you may not need to but it will make her aware that you are not a fool and she will either arrive on time or pay you more/pay on time.
You could also put a late payment fee in the new contract, i charge £5 per day for late payments after i had alot of parents 'forgetting to pay' :eek:
It's worked because they all pay on time now :)

Amanda x

Goatgirl
23-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi :),
Do you have a late collection charge? A rate for unexpected overtime (i.e.not previously arranged and agreed to by you?). A late payment charge?

If you do, I'd just give Mum a copy of your fees and charges policy with the information above highlighted and say 'I thought I would just remind you of these: I know you've got alot on and I'd hate for you to find yourself with a huge bill you could have avoided '.

If you don't then I'd be introducing them all, with whatever notice you have in your contracts. Then just remind Mum that you do normally charge for late collection (just the time, even) and a one off can be overlooked at your discretion, but as she is late regularly you are going to be charging for the time. You don't need to give notice for this, as she is using your time and can be charged for it :). (I charge minimum half hours, but I know some people charge an hour minimum...)

If you're happy to do the extra time though, offer to extend hours and put it in writing to be signed, dated and added to the contract with immediate effect or x weeks notice (your perogative, not Mum's!).

Its tricky of course, but try to keep it friendly but firm. I'd try a chat at collection time first, rather than a letter, but maybe afterwards, put what you agree to in a letter and ask her to sign that you have discussed and she has agreed xx and x.

And definitely make no apologies for charging extra: you are working extra, even if its only a few minutes, and it eats into your own time. You agreed to contracted hours, not stretchy ones :D.

good luck, hope it resolves well and quickly :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

sfox2003
23-03-2011, 12:46 PM
As the others have said, offer a contract review. I had this situation myself recently, it went on for 2-3 weeks & I had to say something.

Personally I would say it rather than write it. Next time she is late tell her you can review the contract for her if she would like. Tell her that you frequently make plans (I personally attend courses go to PTA meetings, take my daughter to rainbows etc). If Im needed to be working until 6.15pm/6.30pm then I wont make plans. She replied that she would speak to the childs father & get back to me. They never did, but were NEVER late again.

Be assertive, this is your business - easier said than done though I know! :)

BuggsieMoo
23-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Hi Jess
I agree with what has already been said. I think you need to have a contract review and take it from there. Maybe mum is trying to get a few extra minutes without having to pay - I know we all dont mind this once in a while but daily is not something I would agree. I would also give her a copy of your fee structure and include late collections etc.
Hope you get somewhere!
Lisa :laughing:

The Juggler
23-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd probably not even make it as formal as a contract review, jsut ask her for a chat. Say she seems to be needing the extra time at the moment (it could be there is a big presentation/contract going on at work and everyone is workign late). Ask her if she needs until 6.30 to cover workload for a while or would she like to change it permanently???? Also explain that because of late payments you have incurred a few bank charges of late and that because of this you are going to have to implement late payment fees of £x. Tell her you hate to do this but each day your fees are paid late means more expense for you.

This should not harrass her hon. It'll make sure you are paid for hours worked and she may just be afraid to ask if she thinks you don't want to finish later than 6.

However, if you DON'T want to work until 6.30 every day tell her it is not on and she needs to be on time please. This will stress her no doubt but if this is having a negative impact on your family life then you need to be tough with her.

good luck