PDA

View Full Version : Sharing with other settings

rainbowsplash
23-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Hi all I have just started childminding, I am in week 2 with a 3 yo and 5yo in nursery and reception, I need to contact the school and nursey to discuss what the children are doing and where they are with in their learning abilities etc. Does anyoe know if there is a template I could use or what I need to ask their keyworkers and teachers? Sorry if I sound stupid, just not sure exactly what I should be doing yet. Many thanks in advance

x

Cammie Doodle
23-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi and welcome , we have a letter stating that Parents are happy with 3 way communication (us, school/ nursery and home)We all sign and date it. We have done it this way since Sept 2009 and it seems to work for us (Oh and we all have a copy too, its good to show Ofsted ;) how you are working together for the good of the child )

JCrakers
23-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I struggle with school as they dont have time and I really dont expect them to have. Parents only get a 10min appointment for parents eve. Whos going to have time to sit down with me to go through work when in a weeks time I might not be picking child up and I only have them for an hour??
When I drop off in foundation (which at the moment I dont) The teacher is so busy and I dont go in as I have a buggy with children in so just wave at the door.
This is the one area I really, really struggle with as a whole and I know I'm going to get marked down for it which is a shame because every other area Im aiming for an outstanding. :(

becky x

rainbowsplash
23-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks I have a permission to speak to other settings etc but didn't know whether I should write to the school or not, I have seen lots of people have been picked up for this, no other CMs pick up from the school so have no one else to ask really, will have a google and see if i can find anything out, thanks for your replies x

catswhiskers
24-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Since the EYFS I've tried to share information/write letters to other settings but to no avail.

Had to give notice to one place but kept records for myself that i had written letters etc to them for info.

As long as I have the letter I've sent to these places in my folder then I can show ofsted that I've tried!

One of my mindees (4.5) had her parents evening tonight with her private nursery. I've looked after her since 5 months old for 4 days, then 3, then 2 and now she comes to me for one day.

Last March (when I had child for 3 days) I wrote to nursery for obs, info, etc. and they didn't reply. Have written another letter etc. beginning of this month but still no reply.

I can't see how Ofsted expect this sort of two-way communication to happen, as us childminders and nurseries are so bogged down with paperwork.

Chimps Childminding
25-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Have to agree with Bexc! schools/nurseries don't have time to talk to us, particularly when like June and I there are 4 of our children in reception class!! We have a copy of nursery's planning sheet sent home (well I copy the one that the lo brings home for mummy, and SOMETIMES we get a copy sent addressed to us).

However, this week we had a break thro - one lo (reception) seems to be struggling a little, and dad had said how worried they were, but by the time he gets home she is too tired (mum is dyslexic so not confident in helping). Anyway we sent a note in asking if there was anything we could do to help when she was with us. Teacher asked to have a word when I went down to school the other day and has sent home work for us to do with her - result :clapping: