PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Help

BuggsieMoo
23-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi All

Its been ages since I have been on here (naughty me forgot my password and finally I have found it!). However, finding it has come at the right time and I need some advice of you lovely ladies (and guys).

I have had a query to mind a LO starting in a couple of weeks who is 2. However, LO has a few health issues such as epilepsy, lump on head that cannot be knocked, recently came off a feeding tube (to be honest the list is endless) and that her medication can be at times something that makes LO a bit 'violent' sorry could not think of a less severe word.

Can someone give me some ideas as to how I can handle this situation and also how I can broach this subject with other mindees (4, 4, 4, and 1) so that they can be accepting of a different child? LO is only going to be here for a few hours a week so will not be a massive impact - but an impact none the less.

Thank you

Lisa

breezy
23-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi, have you arranged a settling in session?
perhaps mum could come and help introduce the child to the other children with you and explain more of how to care for the child to you. She could point you in the direction of other proffesionals and organisations who could inform and support you.

mushpea
23-03-2011, 08:54 PM
advice already given is great but you also need to think about the implicatons for the other familys you mind for, the reason I say this is because one of my mindees had a februl convulsion a couple of weeks ago and 3 of the mums asked me if it was a one off or more likely to happen again, obviously i didnt go in to detail but explained it was not a regular thing but i got the feeling that if it was a regular thing then they might have consided other options.
dont get me wrong I have cared for children with special needs before and my own son is included in this but you really do need to thing about what would happen to the other children in your care should you need to rush this one to hospital also how this other child will feel knowing the others are having to be careful around them.
luky for me my mum was down that day and was able to help out with my other mindee and my own too,, if not I have an emergency minder and good friend who would have helped me.
also what happens when you are out and about ,, can you deal with a convulsion in those circumstances and who would be there to care for the others then,,, and how would you feel saying to the mindee you cant do certain things cause you may bang your head etc.
sorry dont mean to seem down on the poor child and if it were me , as i have done in the past,, i would mind this child only if i wasnt taking on or had anyone else so they could have my full attention
good luck what ever you deicide