PDA

View Full Version : I have made a huge mistake

phoebe-alice
22-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I need some advise as I have got myself in a bit of a situation I took on two sibling mindees about 8 months ago and at that time I was just desperate for work so I gave a sibling discount and no charges (late fee charges, unattended hours or anything like that).
Now I am totally kicking myself and have been since the start really as I am petrified to bring them in as the parent is not one to take politely to them.
I have renewed the contract a few months back now and still didn't have the courage to bring in charges but did bring in 'contracted hours' which are not even getting kept to and this week I am not even earning enough to pay the bills.
I really don't like confrontation and have already shown how week I am by breaking down in front of her at the last sign of trouble.
The kids are lovley and parent always pays on time but the hours aren't meeting the amount 'contracted' and I feel like I have no control. I know I need to get these charges in place but honestly it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.
Please give me some advise I really need it, I know what I need to do its just doing it that is the problem. If I was to write a letter what do you think I would have to put? Feeling really deflated and not sure what to do, I will never make such a stupid mistake again. :(

acorns
22-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I think that this parent is getting a very good deal and knows that so will probably kick up against any changes you plan to make. Remember that if she went elsewhere she would be paying for contacted hours etc. and you would only be bringing your practice on to a common footing with most minders & tell her this. I would also say that you cannot continue to operate in the way you have for financial reasons. Surely she ought to have some sympathy with that? The best option would be to write a letter, include your updated policies on the areas covered in the letter and give it to her as she leaves saying you would be happy to discuss the changes with her at an agreed time. Could you then arrange to have a friend or other adult in the house for support when you know she would be coming to discuss it? Do you think you would be able to fill your spaces if she left or in the case of not agreeing to the changes if you give notice. Think through how you are going to explain it to her, say it all aloud to get used to it, be brave & be strong, Dealing with this situation will give you the confidence to deal with others in future. Let us know how you get on:group hug:

Penny1959
23-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Some good advice given by arcorns.

If you do have someone available to attend meeting with you - suggest that you adviseparent in letter that person willing be attending and is your mentor and needs to observe you with parents during contractual negoiations - and will just be observing not discussing or advising either of you but will be giving you feedback about how you managed meeting.

If you don't have anyone available maybe you could start meeting with telling parent that you will be making notes and producing a 'report' of the meeting to share with your childminding coordinator / development officer / mentor as part of your professional development. That you will share report with parent (once typed up) and asking her to sign to show is a true record.

(By the way I always do a report of all meeting with parents - give them a copy and put a copy in their file. This means that I have 'proof' of all those verbal discussions and agreements)

It does not matter if 'mentor' is a personal friend or childminding friend -
it is letting the parent know that you have support available qand are professional.

However if this parent really worries you by their reactions to contract / policy changes I would suggest that you issue written notice of the changes (as appropriate to your notice period) and if they don't accept your changes - just be very firm and say - that you be giving them notice as these changes are going to be implemented - no meeting to discuss. If they do accept make sure that you make clear that if they break the terms and conditions that you will follow you procedure for breech of contract.

These parents are using a form of bullying and you should not be treated this way. I know it is very hard to give notice and risk losing your income - but you will get more work sooner or later.

Good Luck

Penny :)

The Juggler
23-03-2011, 07:29 AM
I agree with Penny about giving notice about a min. amoutn of contracted hours. Unless I've understood their contract states that they only pay for attended hours??? If that is right then you would be making a change to the contract by changing to session or minimum fees. Late collection charges however, don't need to be contractual or in your policies as such as long as you just charge the extra for the hours extra worked but if you want to charge it at an enhanced rate then you would need to tell them what this is. Offer her the alternative to change to a later finish or pay £x/hour.

Good luck honey xx

gegele
23-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Blame the economics for your change in your price policy.

use the new financial year so the change can be effective from april but i think you may have to give them 4weeks notice.
you can say that with the tax increase and the price of petrol....you have to change your billing system as you're not covering your costs at the minute.
from this date:
all contracted hours will have to be paid regardless of them being attended by the children.
late collection will be charge and name how you are going to charge.

good luck,

this will boost your confidence.

be ready to lose them in case she kicks a fuss but to be honest you shouldn't be working for nothing. you're a professional registered childminder not a babaysitter!!!

head up, strong, proud professional GO

miffy
23-03-2011, 07:45 AM
If your contract specifies "contracted hours" then you should at least be paid for those.

You are going to have to be very tough to sort this parent out as she'll probably kick off at any attempt to change things as she's getting a very good deal atm.

If you don't want to approach her face to face then put it all in writing - give notice on the present contract and ask for a meeting to sort out a new one.

I think you need to consider that you may lose the work altogether but, if you're only working for peanuts then you won't be much worse off and I'm sure there are nicer parents out there.

Miffy xx

phoebe-alice
23-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you all for your advice it really is much appreciated, I have put together a kind of potential changes letter. I don't know if I have covered what I want to say though.
Sorry the attachment wasn't willing to work so I have had to copy and paste below. Please if anyone wants to give me any advise on what to put please do so, as I'm just so worried about the situation I can't even think what to write.
Thank you for everyone being so lovely and helpful, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have anywhere to have a moan and get some advise from.

'Name
Address
Date

Dear Parent/Guardian,

As of …... I will be bringing in some important changes to charges which may affect you. Currently there are no real charges at present however I have noticed over a period of time that there has became a need for further charges.

I am not putting these changes in to make things more difficult for parents and I hope these will not come as a hindrance, however I have found that I am regularly working significantly less than contracted hours and am struggling financially. I hope you understand that this is my business and I too have bills to pay. Most other childminders too have likewise charges in place and is not uncommon practice.

The new charges will be as followed and then following that a breakdown of what each will mean to you, if you have any questions concerning any of the new charges please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Charges

Due to Parent/Guardian/Child's sickness: Full fees
Due to Childminder sickness: No Charge
Due to Parent/Guardian's occasional absence: Full fees
Parent/Guardian's annual holiday: No charge providing a months notice is given
Parent/Guardian's/Childminder's holiday coinciding: No charge providing a months notice is given
On Public Holidays: Usual fees apply
Late Payment:
£1 for every day overdue
Pick-up and Drop-offs: 40p per mile
Termination of Contract: 4 weeks notice must be given, contracted hours will be charged whether the child is present or not

Due to Parent/Guardian/Child's sickness – If in the case that either you are your child is unwell so your child can not attend my setting you will still be charged your full fees for the hours contracted.

Due to Childminder sickness – I am normally a very well person however if I am ever too unwell to work I will do my best to inform you as soon as possible and will not charge for any time I am off sick and cannot provide care for your child.

Due to Parent/Guardian's occasional absence – In the case that you do not wish to use your booked contracted hours, they must still be paid for as I am keeping the space open for your child's use and cannot afford to keep hours free if they are unpaid for.

Parent/Guardian's annual holiday – As before I ask that parents give one months notice for any holidays they may have. Providing one months notice is given holidays will not be charged .

Parent/Guardian's/Childminder's holiday coinciding – As above.

Late Payment – Any late payments will now be charged a further £1 per day.

Pick-up and Drop-offs – Before now I have managed to include travel costs for pick-ups or drop-offs in main fees but due to a raise in petrol prices and change in personal circumstances pick-ups or drop-offs will now be charged at 40 pence per mile.

Termination of Contract: There must be a 4 week notice period if you wish to no longer use my service. The contracted hours will be charged as normal whether or not the child attends the 4 week notice period.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused and for your information I will require to update any current contracts at the beginning of …... when the new charges will be introduced. Again if you have any questions or concerns regarding any on the changes to charges please feel free to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely'

Pipsqueak
23-03-2011, 09:34 AM
You say you are terrified of this parents reactions... that is no way to work and if that is the case I would advise on issuing notice. Remember - these people are guests in YOUR home and you should not feel intimidated in your own home. Just because they are paying you for a service you are providing does not mean you should feel terrified of them.

Thank you all for your advice it really is much appreciated, I have put together a kind of potential changes letter. I don't know if I have covered what I want to say though.
Sorry the attachment wasn't willing to work so I have had to copy and paste below. Please if anyone wants to give me any advise on what to put please do so, as I'm just so worried about the situation I can't even think what to write.
Thank you for everyone being so lovely and helpful, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have anywhere to have a moan and get some advise from.

'Name
Address
Date

Dear Mr/Mrs xyz
As of …... I will be bringing in some important changes to the fees and pricing structure which may affect you. Upon reviewing the contracts I have found that I am reguarly working significantly less hours than contracted for and consequently due to the current structure of fees and payment am not being renumerated correctly for the service I provide .

The new charges will be as followed and then following that a breakdown of what each will mean to you, if you have any questions concerning any of the new charges please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Charges

Due to Parent/Guardian/Child's sickness/absence: Full fees
Parent/Guardian's annual holiday: No charge providing a months notice is given
Parent/Guardian's/Childminder's holiday coinciding: No charge providing a months notice is given
Late Payment:
£5 for every day overdue
Termination of Contract: 4 weeks notice must be given, contracted hours will be charged whether the child is present or not

Due to Parent/Guardian/Child's sickness – If in the case that either you are your child is unwell so your child can not attend my setting you will still be charged your full fees for the hours contracted.

Due to Childminder sickness – I am normally a very well person however if I am ever too unwell to work I will do my best to inform you as soon as possible and will not charge for any time I am off sick and cannot provide care for your child.

Due to Parent/Guardian's occasional absence – In the case that you do not wish to use your booked contracted hours, they must still be paid for as I am keeping the space open for your child's use and cannot afford to keep hours free if they are unpaid for.

Parent/Guardian's annual holiday – As before I ask that parents give one months notice for any holidays they may have. Providing one months notice is given holidays will not be charged .

Pick-up and Drop-offs – Before now I have managed to include travel costs for pick-ups or drop-offs in main fees but due to a raise in petrol prices and change in personal circumstances pick-ups or drop-offs will now be charged at 40 pence per mile.

Termination of Contract: There must be a 4 week notice period if you wish to no longer use my service. The contracted hours will be charged as normal whether or not the child attends the 4 week notice period.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused and for your information I will require to update any current contracts at the beginning of …... when the new charges will be introduced. Again if you have any questions or concerns regarding any on the changes to charges please feel free to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely'

i have made some ammendments to your letter in red. You were apologising for choosing to run your business this way and almost asking permission.

I would rethink about not charging for their holidays. They could put lots of days down due to holiday.

Most minders work on the provisio - if we are open for business you pay, if we aren't open for business you don't pay.

Alternatively you could put half pay in for you holidays, half pay in for theirs and this covers most times then and ensures you are regular income.

Specifiy a bit more about bank AND PUBLIC holidays - normal fee but are you available to work. Are you available to work for that normal fee or are you charging an enhanced rate.

I would set out the new terms and conditions on a separate sheet and make a section that they have to sign and date their agreement so you can put this in their folders.

caz3007
23-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I have a parent that needs flexible hours, I am willing to do that, as dont want or need to be full. So we agreed a minimum each week, she usually only uses that amount, but pays for any extra.

I remember reading on here that we shouldnt charge a per mile fee for collections/drop offs or we would have to register as a taxi.

Do you have to do the collections, I personally dont drive, but even if I did I dont think I would be prepared to. But if you do, perhaps you could charge your hourly rate from when you leave home, to ofset the petrol costs

alwaysright
23-03-2011, 10:48 PM
think you have been given some good advice here but would also ask why you dont charge for parents holidays?? imagine you get a set of pearents who each have five weeks holidays in their job and to save money they decide to split their holidays and take 5 weeks seperataly each!! that would mean you would lose ten weeks pay a year!! and seeing as its in your contract they obly have to give a months notice they could take the place without you even being aware!!
you really have to get tough, were i live most minders charge full fees for parents holidays and half for their own holidays, so most parents just coincide with minders hols, but i currently have a parent saying she cant afford this, just trying to wriggle out of paying but shes got no chance, i'd rather say bye bye first!! they were the terms of my contract she agrred to and signed for!! best is shes a student, my holidays are always during school holidays and she gets maximum tax credit, all of which i pointed out to her today!! :D

Newbie1!
24-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh Phoebe - I totally sympathise but I am just the same as you!! I never enforce anything - most of my parents bully me and although it totally frustrates me I never have the nerve to do anything about it - however things are going to change as theyve got to - my income is now becoming more important that parents having a paddy!!!

Re holidays - I allow parents two weeks holiday per year where they dont have to pay, a further two weeks at half fee and then after that they have to pay full. I think everyone is different re hols, I know alot charge full (I also know a minder local to me charges full if SHE is off sick) but I couldnt bring myself to do this as I feel if I am not working its not fair they should have to pay for alternative care and then still pay me too. One thing I would say, which is something I am working on at the moment, is you need to decide once and for all what you want to do before you send any letters out - if you have some that kick off because of it you dont want to have to do a different letter again in a few months changing something else - good luck hun - wish I could follow my own advice!! Know its easier said than done with some xxx

maryp0ppins
24-03-2011, 10:23 AM

'Name
Address
Date

Dear Parent/Guardian,

As of …... I will be bringing in some important changes to charges which may affect you. Currently there are no real charges at present however I have noticed over a period of time that there has became a need for further charges.

I am not putting these changes in to make things more difficult for parents and I hope these will not come as a hindrance, however I have found that I am regularly working significantly less than contracted hours and am struggling financially. I hope you understand that this is my business and I too have bills to pay. Most other childminders too have likewise charges in place and is not uncommon practice.

Charges

Due to Parent/Guardian/Child's sickness: Full fees
Parent/Guardian's annual holiday: No charge providing a months notice is given ??? HALF FEE
Childminder's holiday: No charge providing a months notice is given
Late Payment:
£5 for every day overdue

Yours sincerely'

I have put in RED what I think I would change, but totally up to you. It's awful discussing money especially if they have had it easy for a while. Whats the worst that can happen, they can terminate I suppose but they will only be paying what they SHOULD be paying you anyway.

We are all behind you, chin up and focus for your business, It will get easier. Any further enquiries start as you mean to go on....:thumbsup: