PDA

View Full Version : Moving hours around

Raychilly
22-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi, What's your everyone's view on moving hours around on an adhoc basis?

I had a mum today who took her child to the doctors this morning, during the time I was meant to have the child. The child was fine and came to me this afternoon. As a result the mum will be picking up the child later than usual to make up the hours I didn't have him.

I agreed to it for today, but I didn't state that.

What would you have done?

grindal
22-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I look after mindees for the hours stated on their contracts. If they start late for whatever reason I still expect them to be collected at their usual time. Make sure your parent knows this will not happen in future and if they do not want to miss out on their time with you they need to make appointments at different times.

Goatgirl
22-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi :),
I have a drop off and collection policy which says hours are not transferable. I charge an early/late fee 'penalty' plus twice hourly rate for the time. i've not had much trouble once parents have had the extra charges added to an invoice and pointed them in the direction of the policy when queried.
I'd just say today that you were taken by surprise today so you wont charge extra, but in future hours are not transferable, if they want to make a change to contracted hours, the way to do it is to make a request, as you may not be able to accommodate them and with 4 weeks notice.
If you want to justify it to Mum, (not that you need to: hours contracted are hours contracted, end of !) explain that you may have other obligations (personal or childcare related); going over numbers, have unexpected numbers/ages of children for an outing and would need to do a new risk assessment etc
But at the end of the day, it is her responsibility to plan her time to fit in taking child to the doctors. If she takes her in hours she is paying you for, tough! Same rules as if child is sick.

Be firm: good luck :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

Pipsqueak
22-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I ONLY transfer hours if it is suitable for me and I know that family don't take the piddle.

Ripeberry
22-03-2011, 04:48 PM
NO WAY! My latest time is 6pm and I won't work longer than that. If they try and swing it and arrive late then they will get hefty charges added on :mad:
I may do it as a one off, but they have to clear it with me at least two weeks ahead if possible.

Raychilly
22-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks all! Your advice is much appreciated.

Would you also apply the same if they picked up the child early?

grindal
22-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks all! Your advice is much appreciated.

Would you also apply the same if they picked up the child early?

Absolutely. You and the parents agree the hours they want you to look after their child. This is agreed and put in writing on a contract. These are then the hours you are paid for. If they drop lo off late or collect them early they still pay for the contracted hours.

When I first started I looked after a friends little boy and she often used to say that she would be a bit late picking him up but it did not matter cos she was late dropping him off.

The thing is once you have started doing this, it is very hard to toughen up. I always make it very clear that the parent pays for the contracted hours regardless of what happens (unless I have to close cos me or my kids are ill)

miffy
22-03-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't do swaps either - I make it clear at the start that the hours on the contract must be paid for whether they're used or not.

You need to explain to mum that, in future, you won't be working later just because the child was late arriving.

Miffy xx

Katiekoo
22-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I offered to swap hours one day when it suited me. Then a few weeks later they asked me to do this again (very nicely) but I said I was busy. I can see how quickly a one off favour becomes the expected 'norm'. Be careful!