PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for time/activity management?

samkeddy
22-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,
Just wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions to how i should be doing things, I used to only care for 3 under 3's so had loads of time for educational activities etc
But now, one of those are in nursery and i have alot of after schoolers, so between 3 school runs aday, a couple of morning groups we go to, lunch time, numerous (long) toilet trips and different home times im struggling to fit proper activities in and really begining to worry im not doing enough with each hectic day that passes!!!:panic:
Gratefull for all comments
Thanks
Sam x

Goatgirl
22-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi :),
In your position, I'd write out a big timetable showing planned groups, times of drop offs, meals, known nappy changes etc.
Then you may see opportunities for activities which weren't obvious before. But to be honest, I expect you are doing lots, just not the planned ones you did before covering large time spans.
I bet if you write down everything that you all do for a week/few days, you'll see there's lots of learning going on, just not necessarily planned for in advance :thumbsup:

Good luck :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

mama2three
22-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Dont worry about 'proper activities'! Everything you do is an opportunity for learning. I bet you count the stairs on the way up to the toilet dont you , we all do! Just one tiny example and I know you do everything you need to - you just need to think differently about it!

The Juggler
22-03-2011, 02:14 PM
i wouldn't worry too much. if kids are engaged in the play you offer, wherever you are and are playing happily then you are offering stimulating resources and activites. It's not always about volume or even variety sometimes. I had 2 mindees who for a year, always had the train set out .. We did other activities too but they were train mad.

Go with teh flow. If you find they are flitting and emptying all the boxes or after schoolers are arguing that indicates less engagement in play so maybe observe what they like and change the resources around.:thumbsup: