PDA

View Full Version : Handwashing

lizstrats
21-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi,

I thought it was about time I got some advice from all you experienced childminders out there, instead of searching the internet and not getting very far!!

Am I right that you are not allowed to use the kitchen sink for handwashing? I use liquid soap and individual hand towels for each child. I have thought about using a bowl of water at the children's level, but not sure if that's ok either. I only have a bathroom upstairs, so would rather not have to take the children upstairs everytime they need to wash their hands (but will do if that's what I should be doing).

Sorry if this seems like a silly question!

sarah707
21-03-2011, 07:53 PM
It's not a silly question and to be honest the answer appears to change depending on who you ask.

There is nothing in the booklet Safer Food Better Business for Childminders about hand washing in a separate sink...

This document is the hand washing guidance that the Government provides -

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/sfbbcmpershyg.pdf

However some Ofsted inspectors appear to be picking up on childminders who use their kitchen sinks for washing hands.

They talk about the possible transfer of urine or faeces after nappy changes through splashes onto clean crockery, cutlery etc.

However if you only have one sink downstairs and need it for hand washing when preparing meat, after cleaning out the cat litter tray, when cooking with raw eggs etc then you are surely in the same situation as using it after changing nappies...

BUT I asked these and many more questions of Ofsted a while ago and they didn't answer the question and advised I speak to my local environmental health - who said that I should speak to Ofsted because they understood the issues with childminders having separate sinks installed! :rolleyes:

So the answer is ... risk assess whatever you do in the best interests of the children and take the greatest care to ensure cleanliness and health and safety.

Hth :D

lizstrats
21-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you Sarah. It's a shame it can't be straight forward!