PDA

View Full Version : Bank Holidays - Wish NCMA would make up their Minds!!

keatingschick
21-03-2011, 05:56 PM
When I first started I was advised by established minders that I should charge for Bank Holidays, stating that all parents get paid for bank holidays so we should. So I did, I think tbh I charged full initially but then felt a little mean and so then just dropped it to half like a normal holiday.
Then something came out in the NCMA which I rang up and queried and was told we SHOULDN'T charge for bank holidays, the woman saying that how can we charge for a service we dont intend to provide.
So, I changed all my contracts and informed parents that I was no longer allowed to charge for Bank Holidays.

Now I have just bought some new contracts from the NCMA and it now states that we CAN charge for bank holidays and must state the fee.

I'm annoyed because really there isnt alot I can do about it, I cant start changing things now, and I have lost quite a bit of money over time for this.

Wish they would just make their minds up!!

Pipsqueak
21-03-2011, 06:01 PM
NCMA could never dictate how a self employed person can set the terms of their business

onceinabluemoon
21-03-2011, 06:10 PM
NCMA dont run my business, I do

I charge for bank hols if I would work them and dont if I wont, Simples :)

rickysmiths
21-03-2011, 06:11 PM
No NCMA are not telling you you can't charge for BH.

What the contract says is that you can only charge if you are available for work that day.

I am always available to work on bank holidays for a fee!! Double for all except Christmas, boxing Day and New Years Day when it would be triple fee. They have to give at least 4 weeks notice if they want to use me.

I have worked 1 Boxing Day in 17 years of minding, that was 6yrs ago and I was paid £150! :thumbsup:

Oh I forgot to say if I am not required to work I charge normal fee,

keatingschick
21-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah but the way its reading.

Obviously what was said last time was that you can't expect someone to pay for a service you cant supply. So saying that IF you were prepared to work then fair enough, but if not then you can't, even though parents may say they dont want the service. I did speak to a woman and she was sort of saying that if it came to it that a parent disagreed to pay for a bank holiday then the NCMA agreed with the parent because they said you couldnt charge UNLESS you were working.

Now maybe its me, but the way this new contract reads, it sounds like you CAN charge even if you dont work, and can charge a higher rate if you DO work.

"Statutory public holidays (bank holidays) Registered childminders and parents should list the statutory holidays, festivals and any other significant days the recognise. When a statutory holiday falls on a contracted day, a fee may be charged. Childminders will not normally be available for work on these days, but where a childminder is prepared to offer a service, a higher ratemay apply which should be noted in the additional charges section."

So that to me is saying - you can charge for a bank holiday even if you arent working, but can charge more if you DO decide to work. (I've always said double time if parents want me to work a banker, though now I dont charge if I am not working).

Is it just the way I am reading it?

keatingschick
21-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Now the last set of contracts said
"If a childminder is charging a fee for a statutory public holiday, the service must be available for use."

So...like I said maybe the way I am reading it but the last set of contracts was sort of saying, IF you are willing to work then you can charge (even if parents choose not to use you).

This new set seems to say, that if you dont work you can still charge an agreed fee, but if you are willing to work then a higher rate can be applied.

Wish I hadnt read them now, its confusing me lol. Dont know why I am reading them, cant change anything anyway.

Rubybubbles
21-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I avjust been getting contracts ready for a review later and found some really old style contracts to use lol! they state about charging for BH

I don't though:) my choice!

westbrom44
21-03-2011, 06:59 PM
There is nothing to stop you charging for bank holidays, just give one months notice. I changed my fees along time ago because a parent would send her child to me even though she was at home. I wouldn't have minded if the parent was working. I gave all of the parents a letter to say that I would charge normal fees for not working and double fees for those that I do. I have never had anyone send there child to me on a bank holiday since.

When I worked in an office, I got paid for all of the bank holidays and got paid double my hourly rate if I did work. All of my parents get paid for a bank holiday.

The Juggler
21-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Now the last set of contracts said
"If a childminder is charging a fee for a statutory public holiday, the service must be available for use."

So...like I said maybe the way I am reading it but the last set of contracts was sort of saying, IF you are willing to work then you can charge (even if parents choose not to use you).

This new set seems to say, that if you dont work you can still charge an agreed fee, but if you are willing to work then a higher rate can be applied.

Wish I hadnt read them now, its confusing me lol. Dont know why I am reading them, cant change anything anyway.

stupid thing is though, NCMA advise this and then they advise you to take paid annual leave - how are bank hols different :panic: :panic: :rolleyes: