PDA

View Full Version : Well thats FECCERS done and dusted

Playmate
21-03-2011, 03:07 PM
We had our FECCERs visit this morning as part of our LA's quality standards award. We were rather dreading it, but infact because it was conducted by an Early Years consultant and NCMA Development Officer we knew, it wasn't all that bad :D the worst thing is being observed for nearly 5 hours its exhausting :panic:
Not totally sure of the grade until we receive it in writting, but know we did receive the highest score for natural resources and they said our LJ's were the the best they had seen :blush: The areas we were marked down on were ones we expected so thats fine. We just feel drained now and want to go to bed :yawning:

jumpinjen
21-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Bless you!

looking on the bright side, you were the best at some things......

and the feccers have gone now! (say in broad irish accent for best effect!!)

jen x

Playmate
21-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Bless you!

looking on the bright side, you were the best at some things......

and the feccers have gone now! (say in broad irish accent for best effect!!)
jen x

:laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Jen I will get my Irish husband to say it in his mother tongue :D

The Juggler
21-03-2011, 11:01 PM
well done hon, it's exhausting isn't it. :clapping: :clapping:

Playmate
22-03-2011, 07:35 AM
well done hon, it's exhausting isn't it. :clapping: :clapping:

it certainly is, I was in bed by 8.30 last night :laughing: Looking forward to having a normal day today, you never know I might even remember to wipe the table after snack;which is something I apparently forgot to do yesterday :rolleyes:

miffy
22-03-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't think I could stand someone watching me for 5 hours so very well done to you both! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Miffy xx

sarah707
22-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Well done you! Now you can get on with real life :clapping:

mama2three
22-03-2011, 07:52 AM
I don't think I could stand someone watching me for 5 hours so very well done to you both! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Miffy xx

lets hope it doesnt appear here too Miffy!

Nothing but admiration for those of you who have endured it though. Somehow seems even more daunting than Ofsted!

Carol M
22-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Glad to hear yours went well .
How great to have someone from NCMA,they totally understand what home childcare is about. Some of our assessors don't even have a background in childcare let alone the understanding of childminding!! This has caused a great deal of upset within Worcestershire!
Carol xx

angeldelight
22-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Glad it went well

Well done to you both

Angel xx

Playmate
22-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Glad to hear yours went well .
How great to have someone from NCMA,they totally understand what home childcare is about. Some of our assessors don't even have a background in childcare let alone the understanding of childminding!! This has caused a great deal of upset within Worcestershire!
Carol xx

Both our assessors had CM background :D when they went through the feed back they focused on the things we were down graded on and said that it was the scale that graded us not their personal opinion and the suggestions to improve were just that and they totally understood if we chose to ignore :D Looking forward to seeing report so we can celebrate what we do well :D The journey of this quality award is supposed to be about self reflection and the Feccers is supposed to be just another tool to help us on this journey. Right at this moment I feel totally 'reflected out' think I will just concentrate on 'doing' instead of reflecting for a while :D I can't complain I chose to do this nobody enforced it upon me :rolleyes:

Going to Costco this morning for a bit of retail therapy and of course the educational value for the children! ooow and lets not forget the free coffee and danish :D

TheBTeam
22-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Well done Sally, you are pushing ahead with it quicker than me, I have done part of the leadership module, got the dogs and decided it would be better benefit sorting out training and stuff with them so that they turn into well behaved dogs, this takes up 2 nights a week and so pushed the other stuff to one side.

I am also not really sure that i actually want to go ahead with being one of two accredited minders in the borough and not really sure i will gain anything but an extra pressure, that i really dont want.

The Juggler
22-03-2011, 02:11 PM
it certainly is, I was in bed by 8.30 last night :laughing: Looking forward to having a normal day today, you never know I might even remember to wipe the table after snack;which is something I apparently forgot to do yesterday :rolleyes:

lol, that is one of the criteria - wipe up food mess quickly. really as long as you do it afer the snack or before they next eat there - -the table is still clean isn't it??? honestly.

my action was to change the children in an area near running water, out of sight of other children for privacy sakes. So that's me either NOT watching children whilst I nappy change or strapping them in/using a playpen whilst I do nappie. Well that's not going to do my 'supervision and play' scores any good is it. In some parts of FCCERS you cant win. I now have a nappy changing policy to explain why I change my nappies where I do :laughing: :laughing:

However, overall I like it - more broad than ofsted, more play based than paperwork based too.:thumbsup: and good self-reflection tool.

Carol M
22-03-2011, 02:39 PM
It has proven, in Worcestershire to be open to the assessors interpretation as the inconsistancies are evident through the accredited minders who have been "done", so the scales are not true to the written criteria.
However, I did have many high scores and some good ideas from my assessor to enable me to attain higher in certain areas. Some of which I have tried to implement and found impractical and even unsafe in my view. And I'm afraid I do not intend to replace my carpet with washable flooring. In other areas there is nothing I can do about it eg space and accessability to all resources all of the time.
Unfortunately I do not see FCCERS as a good way to grade the quality of childcare provided as it is based purely on what has been "seen" during the assessment and our LA seem to think it will highlight areas that minders need support in. I so wish we had our "old" Network back.
Carol xx

Playmate
22-03-2011, 04:33 PM
It has proven, in Worcestershire to be open to the assessors interpretation as the inconsistancies are evident through the accredited minders who have been "done", so the scales are not true to the written criteria.
However, I did have many high scores and some good ideas from my assessor to enable me to attain higher in certain areas. Some of which I have tried to implement and found impractical and even unsafe in my view. And I'm afraid I do not intend to replace my carpet with washable flooring. In other areas there is nothing I can do about it eg space and accessability to all resources all of the time.
Unfortunately I do not see FCCERS as a good way to grade the quality of childcare provided as it is based purely on what has been "seen" during the assessment and our LA seem to think it will highlight areas that minders need support in. I so wish we had our "old" Network back.
Carol xx

We have never had networks in Herts (apart from one which was rather exclusive unless you lived within a selective area! and is no longer running) which is a real shame, as I'm sure this was a better way of monitoring quality. Like BTeam I'm not sure now that I want to be accredited as we have no back up or support from the end of this month :( but we are a 3rd of the way through the Quality Standard procedure, so might as well finish so that we can at least display the kite mark. Looking forward to getting the full report, because we really only went over the negatives at the end so that they wouldn't be a shock when the full report is finished. At least they can't recomend I get rid of the carpets coz we don't have any :laughing:

Beetlejuice
22-03-2011, 05:27 PM
WOW FIVE HOURS!!!! How stressful. But glad you did well - not that there was any question of you and BB not acing it!

Monkey26
22-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I have my first ever fccers assessment tomorrow and am quite honestly dreading it! Anyone got any pointers for me?! xx

Carol M
22-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah
Get rid of carpets, have 2 basins in your downstairs loo,have ALL your resources out and freely accessible all of the time, make sure you have those huge wooden blocks out , have 10 soft toys for each age group out,have a separate room for chats with parents( as long as you can supervise the children at the same time), ensure you are playing outside for at least 1hr, oh and don't forget to wipe the table and sanitise it AFTER meals aswell as before!!
Sorry, I'm just being sarcastic. Please take it as tongue-in-cheek. Sally, no offense intended..... I forgot to wipe immediately after too:blush:
Good luck Jo Jo
Carol xx

Playmate
22-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah
Get rid of carpets, have 2 basins in your downstairs loo,have ALL your resources out and freely accessible all of the time, make sure you have those huge wooden blocks out , have 10 soft toys for each age group out,have a separate room for chats with parents( as long as you can supervise the children at the same time), ensure you are playing outside for at least 1hr, oh and don't forget to wipe the table and sanitise it AFTER meals aswell as before!!
Sorry, I'm just being sarcastic. Please take it as tongue-in-cheek. Sally, no offense intended..... I forgot to wipe immediately after too:blush:
Good luck Jo Jo
Carol xx

None taken Carol :laughing:

Playmate
22-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I have my first ever fccers assessment tomorrow and am quite honestly dreading it! Anyone got any pointers for me?! xx

Just be yourself and remember to show them all resources especially those hiden in cupboards. We were really lucky and had lovely weather on Monday so did stay outside for and hour!

Good luck, let us know how you get on and we can share notes :laughing:

Ali56
22-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Well Done you!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
It's almost more stressful in some ways than OFSTED, I think!
I had mine done last july, almost straight after the training session on it. I rang them and asked them to come and get it over with!! (Bonkers, I know!!)
My CMDO came and did the assesment so it was a little less stressful than a stranger. I'm pleased to say I did really well, but I had to wait till October for the results as they wanted to do a few and moderate them first. That did make me a bit cross, I have to say. So I volunteered to allow the moderaters to do a training assesment at my house too!!:panic: :panic:
It did make me chuckle a bit tho as inbetween assesments I got a new kitten and so had lots of 'unhygenic' kitten stuff around, and it was the school hols so I didn't have as many early years resources out etc so I'm sure If the second assesment had been real I'd have done really badly!!:laughing:

Monkey26
22-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah
Good luck Jo Jo
Carol xx

My flat is tiny! If i have all my resources out, we can't move! - gotta love my shed and toy rotation!
I tried to rearrange it as it is tomorrow (Wednesday) and for those who may have remembered my Ofsted inspection at the beginning of the month-my Wednesday trio of 2 year olds don't exactly share nicely haha!!! But the lady couldn't reschedule until the easter holidays and i couldn't be doing with it in the holidays when i have six kids :panic:
Shall remember to keep cleaning the table, may just go put a fresh table cloth on now...
Am praying for sunshine so we can get outside for a large part of the morning, also tends to reduce those sharing issues :D
I will let you all know how i get on, i really really hope it doesn't last 5 hours! I've already told her to be here by 8.30am as the kids usually go to bed at 1pm :D xx

Donkey
22-03-2011, 10:10 PM
well done playmate and blue boy!!

I got pulled down on access to my house, stepping over the doorway into the house was too much of a step...
:rolleyes:

mrs robbie williams
23-03-2011, 06:51 AM
im posting with a knot in my stomach :blush: please tell me this is instead of ofsted not aswell????? :panic:

The Juggler
23-03-2011, 07:25 AM
im posting with a knot in my stomach :blush: please tell me this is instead of ofsted not aswell????? :panic:

its voluntary hon - in most places. You might be asked to do it to join a network or something but its not a published report only you and assessors know about it - it's to help with self development.:thumbsup:

christine e
23-03-2011, 08:13 AM
its voluntary hon - in most places. You might be asked to do it to join a network or something but its not a published report only you and assessors know about it - it's to help with self development.:thumbsup:

My ofsted inspector spoke to me about it as a suggestion because I was chatting to her about self reflection

Cx

Playmate
23-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Helen, don't worry its not compulsory, just stupid people like us put ourselves through these things :rolleyes: Have got to do it all again in about 6mths so the pannel can see how we have progressed (or not :laughing: )

Playmate
23-03-2011, 08:34 AM
My ofsted inspector spoke to me about it as a suggestion because I was chatting to her about self reflection

Cx

I will let you know how useful it is when we have the full feedback :D

Carol M
23-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Tis compulsory for us, if we want to be accredited! Also our LA have told us we also HAVE to do the SEF to remain accredited!!!!!!
Must just be jolly old Worcestershire :laughing:
Carol xx

Monkey26
24-03-2011, 06:18 PM
FCCERS assessment done!
She arrived at 8.45am yesterday and left at 1.30pm! Kids behaved pretty well which was reassuring and even my little one who refuses point blank to do any arts and crafts did some sticking with a glue stick :D The weather was lush as well so we spend a large portion of the morning in the garden!
The assessor was my Trio 'support' worker so at least i and one of the children knew her face :) She said i don't have anything to worry about but won't know full details until i receive feedback, hopefully early next week xx