PDA

View Full Version : Blankets

Pudding Girl
23-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Doing a newsletter ( for my one family lol!!) and one thing I would like to mention is the mindees bringing blankets to my home. There are always arguments, tears over leaving them here when we go out, plus not a day goes by without one of us tripping over them.

Do you think I am within my rights to say no more blankies?? Am I being harsh?? Should I put it in the newsletter or talk to them first?

Am concerned mostly about someone having a nasty fall ( yeah probably be me too!)

sarah707
23-04-2008, 01:25 PM
You could say... blankie is welcome but can it please stay in a bag until nap time and go back in a bag after nap... that will child will still have comfort object, Lou is not a baddie and no more falls :D

mum22
23-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Just wanted to day I agree with Sarah - blankies for nap time only - maybe even keep it in their cot - I used to do that with a teddy that 1 mindee didnt want to share or screamed whenever someone else picked it up.
:) helen

Alibali
23-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Yep, I agree too, anything they bring goes into bag until needed i.e. nap time or until home time.

Ali xx

cherry
23-04-2008, 01:43 PM
I agree, I've made small colourful shoe string bags with each childs name on them which hang on their coat hooks and anything they bring gets put in them until needed.

Stops lots of arguing and losing of toys or comforters

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Hope your parents wash theirs

I wouldnt care about it being in my house if it was clean
I have to wash it every week !

Angel xx

miffy
25-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree with the others - welcome to bring (if clean) and keep in bag until nap time

miffy xx

charleyfarley
25-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Luckily none of my mindees have a blanky at the moment

But in the past I've put them away until sleep time and never dared take them out with them :eek:

Plus if they turn up dirty they are straight in the washing machine

Now I just have the dummies lined up as I only give mindees them when tired or upset

God I'm a hard woman sometimes

Carol xx

hannahsstar
25-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Me too, I have individual bags for my mindees where they know their special toys/soothers/comforters are kept for nap time. I find it works well

Jae

Twinkles
26-04-2008, 09:59 AM
I agree, I've made small colourful shoe string bags with each childs name on them which hang on their coat hooks and anything they bring gets put in them until needed.

Stops lots of arguing and losing of toys or comforters

I've done the same :thumbsup:

Pudding Girl
26-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I spoke to Mum yday and told her that from now on Blankets would be put away execpt for at nap time and she was fine with that. said she didn't want them being dragged round anyway ( so why bring them?!)

miffy
26-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I spoke to Mum yday and told her that from now on Blankets would be put away execpt for at nap time and she was fine with that. said she didn't want them being dragged round anyway ( so why bring them?!)

They bring them because it's easier than dealing with a fuss from the child!

I have a little boy who arrives with a dummy in his mouth - he happily gives it to me and apart from his nap doesn't have it again all day but as soon as his mum comes he wants it back............and she gives it him :rolleyes:

miffy xx

manjay
26-04-2008, 06:00 PM

I have a little boy who arrives with a dummy in his mouth - he happily gives it to me and apart from his nap doesn't have it again all day but as soon as his mum comes he wants it back............and she gives it him :rolleyes:

miffy xx

Snap! I just don't get it:rolleyes:

donnahay0
26-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I used to have a child turn up with a blanket every day. I made it a rule to only let the child use it at nap times and banned it from going out - if the child is kept occupied they tend not to need it anyway and you can always let them have it if they are upset at any time.

Dad questionned it at first but after I explained my reason he was ok and thought it would probably benefit the child not to rely on it so much anyway.

I would talk to them first about it though and let them have your reasons.

miffy
26-04-2008, 06:04 PM
No me neither!

And last week after giving it him as soon as she came in she then said "big boys don't have dummies any more and you're a big boy now" - no wonder children get confused!

miffy xx

button68
26-04-2008, 06:26 PM

miffy xx

I have a four and a half year old :eek: who arrives just the same - my goodness she starts school in september for goodness sakes :(

nannan
26-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I agree, the comforters should be put away untill the child needs them for a nap,

disney
27-04-2008, 03:41 PM
i think every one is right not only could they cause the child to fall , they will collect horrible dirty germs if its being dragged around the floor . when i worked at the nursery all blankeys , comforters , ect were only given at sleep time .but you may have a child cry for a while if they are used to having it all the while , good luck x

berkschick
27-04-2008, 03:47 PM
My Ella (20 months) has a blankey ( called did - dee??!!)

It is a cot blaneket cut into 6 so isnt too big.

She doesnt take it on school runs or to the park but if we go out for the day she takes it, she can not sleep without it and if she is ill or hurt it is the first thing she asks for.

One is always within reach if she wants it.

The twins I look after have cuddly toys that are always with them.

G has a muslin, again always in reach if she wants/needs it.

M has a dummy but only for her nap at Mums request.

I has a dummy but only at nap time or if she is upset.

I dont have a problem with any of it as long as they are clean and not so massive you break your neck tripping over them!

Gherkin
28-04-2008, 08:23 AM
All dummies/cuddlies are left on the side in the kitchen for safty as if the children in my care are walking aorund with them my dd like to take them away from them as she cannot understand why anyone needs them!!!!

I love her because she is mine but some days she is a little bu***r!

Splish Splosh
28-04-2008, 08:37 AM
my 3 year old mindee has blankets which is called a "NANA" last week i asked her to stop bringing to my home as it was filthy and full if dog hairs!!!!! being allergic to pet hair i couldnt pick this up, it got to the point that it was left outside in a carrier bag for when she left my house..... even then parents didnt get the hint or even thought about me sneezing coughing and itching all day:mad:

angeldelight
28-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Yuk that sounds horrible

Why would you even want to give that to a baby ??

Angel xx

Heaven Scent
28-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Like Miffy I have one with a dummy that he comes with and hands over to me as soon as dad leaves both he and sis bring a soft toy also which stink a bit and I make sure they are put into the bag even while dad is there. As soon as dad comes to collect he takes the dummy and soft toys out and hands them over. The parents always nagg me about the stuff if it goes missing its blooming annoying as I have loads of soft toys they can use. I did also ask that they didn't bring toys here unless there was a duplicate and asked them if that was not possible to buy something specially for here which could remain in the cot all week and therefore not get lost.

I have given another family two blankets to take home for a couple of weeks and keep in the babies cot and then wash in their washing powder so as it will smell of home and then bring them here so the child is used to them and associates them with home and he soon got used to using them at bed time and now I just wash them with my washing as he sees them as his.

Celine.