PDA

View Full Version : Start up queries

Cupcake88
20-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I have been thinking about becoming a childminder for a while, I have a 4 year old son due to start full time school in sept, so this means I will be able to have 3 spaces for under 5s yay! Im currently studying accountancy and will finish my course in June, but there are just no jobs available, Ive been looking for a year and nothing! So thought becoming a childminder for a while would be a good idea as I love children. Im moving house soon to a 3 bed with a garden so will finally have a good setting (currently live in a maisonette). I have a few concerns though...

The house will be rented, do I need to get any permissions, insurances etc to be able to use the house for childminding?

As I am young and will be living with my partner who doesnt really like kids (buts works full time) do you think any of these will put off parents from using my services?

I dont have a car so if I took the children out I would have to use public transport, what are the rules regarding this, or is it better just to stay closer to home on outings?

Is it better to charge a by the hour rate or a full day and half days flat rate?

I havent looked at funding yet, but if theres none available in my area, how much on average is start up including courses etc and are there and ways I could try to save on these costs?

I am also SLIGHTLY apprehensive about disciplinging other peoples children, do children in settings tend to play up/be naughty and do you use naughty step etc for anything as my son has never needed this and has mostly been fine to deal with, just worried about getting any out of control kids! Or am I just worrying too much?

Thankyou for your help :)

Milli147
20-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Ok, I am sure lots of people will be able to answer your questions better than me, but here goes..!

1. Rented property - you should definately get written permission from your landlord.

2. Insurance - yes, your insurance company need to be notified. Plus you will need Public Liability Insurance.

3. I personally don't think age will put people off, especially as you have a child of your own. Your partner living with you should be neither here nor there, if he works full time, but he will still need to be CRB checked.

4. Using public transport is fine, you just need to risk assess it. I would wait and see how you feel about using public transport v. staying close to home until you get some mindees - if they are all in buggies for instance you might not want to be battling with buses!

5. Fees, that's down to personal choice. I charge by the hour, because it suits me, and I don't mind having one who does a shorter day. Some people charge a flat daily rate and probably earn a bit more, but the downside is a parent can choose to use you for the full day - I don't want that, so it's hourly!;)

6. Start up costs, depends where you live re what you are offered. I had all courses paid for, plus a years insurance, as long as I started working within 12 months, otherwise it had to be paid back. I know some areas offer a grant instead. Contact your local council for advice on what's available where you live.
For equipment and toys - trawl the friday ad, ebay, beg, borrow or buy from friends, I email my childrens class lists regularly when I need something, and almost always come up trumps!

7. How you deal with behaviour is quite a personal thing to you. You will need to have a behaviour management policy and this should be written by you, stating the methods you will use. Obviously it has to be a way you feel happy with, if that makes sense. I have not really needed to discipline my little ones, as they are very good, but the first thing on my policy is distraction, and that is usually enough. I would use the naughty step, but behaviour management should be done in consultation with the parents, so you can find out what methods they use at home and be guided by that. This gives the continuity of care that will help the child feel settled with you.

Wow, that was a bit of an essay. I hope that helps you a bit. As I say I am sure someone else will have some more help and info for you.
Good luck, and if you decide to go for it you will find all your questions get answered on the training anyway! :)

Cupcake88
22-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi, thanks for your replies! I feel a little better about it all, I was worried about how it was all going to work out but Im booking myself onto a briefing session and hopefully it will all come together fingers crossed! Just need to find some sort of funding, or do some begging and borrowing! Very excited as I know I will love this job :)