PDA

View Full Version : Diploma assessor coming

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Later this week a local college is sending out a diploma tutor/assessor out to sign me up for the level 3 CYPW diploma (think that the right initials lol) which i will be doing by distance learning and home based assessments

She says whilst she's here she may as well do an observation on how I am with the children which I'm perfectly ok with.

Just wondering if I should plan something or just go with the flow

Not really sure what to expect...

Any advice welcome x

Kes
19-03-2011, 07:24 PM
As she has'nt told you that she wants to observe something in particular then I would probably just go with the flow.

onceinabluemoon
19-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you :)

rickysmiths
19-03-2011, 08:15 PM
When mine came for the first visit all she wanted to do was see that I was working in a safe environment (:eek: as if!) and she walked round and checked I had certs and Insurance on the wall, Fire Blanket, wanted to see my Risk Assessments and my First Aid Cert.

I had 3 children with me and they were enjoying free play so we were sitting in the same room and I was just assisting as required. Not a formal assessment but she could see how I interacted with the children and they with me.

onceinabluemoon
20-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks, I have all my certs and insurance on the wall and work in a safe environment so that's all good and nothing to be done there. My RAs are in a folder behind all the kiddies folders so will dig those out just in case she wants to see them.

Thank you, that was exactly the sort of thing I needed to know x

miffy
20-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Just wanted to wish you good luck.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!

Miffy xx

onceinabluemoon
20-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks hunny :)

I was a little put off when she said it takes 18 months to complete and they dont like people rushing it. I did a science degree in 3 years so am a little aghast at needing 1.5 years to so what is essentially an A level... (I fast tracked my A levels and did them all in a year)

Perhaps all will become clear when we talk on Weds.

sarah707
20-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I did mine much quicker than the assessor was expecting as well.

It didn't hurry the assessor up though - she came at set intervals and kept to her own timetable.

I just got bored of seeing it lying around and wanted to get it finished :laughing:

You'll be fine! :D

rickysmiths
20-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks hunny :)

I was a little put off when she said it takes 18 months to complete and they dont like people rushing it. I did a science degree in 3 years so am a little aghast at needing 1.5 years to so what is essentially an A level... (I fast tracked my A levels and did them all in a year)

Perhaps all will become clear when we talk on Weds.

We are doing a Sat a month and the idea is that we do a module a session plus our Emglish and maths GCSE work because you have to do those if you did GCSE more than 3yrs ago :eek: I did mine 41yrs ago :laughing: still feel miffed we have to do it as I did well in my competency test and I do believe I have more than a reasonable command of the English Lang and enough skills in Maths to run my business and to complete an A Level.!!!

My understanding is that when we get going there are a few modules that can be done perfectly well online so its a question of getting to know the tutors and then seeing. The tutor that visited me said it could be done in 12-14 months.

We are in groups and I suppose they have to work at the pace of the slowest in a way. There are people on the course who haven't studied for years, haven't got more that a couple of GCSEs so I guess it will be a harder mountain to climb for them than those of us who have in the past studied to a higher level and undertake regular training for cm.

onceinabluemoon
20-03-2011, 11:47 AM
We are doing a Sat a month and the idea is that we do a module a session plus our Emglish and maths GCSE work because you have to do those if you did GCSE more than 3yrs ago

Seriously??? I did math GCSE in 2005 and got a B which was the highest grade available for intermediate ( 100% and 98% on the papers!). Also did English and got an A. I am not going to be doing them again for anybody. I cannot see that math has changed that much in 6 years! :eek: Funnily enough I did them at the same college that I'll be doing the course with.